Heavy Shadow under chin in Black Dragon (Fixed thankyou)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone

As the title says, I seem to be finding it hard finding a setting to "not" have such a heavy shadow under the chin?  I am still learning but loving black dragon. Could it be just down to the windlight settings rather than the settings in BD? I find they look fine when wearing a facelight but don't always like to wear one, especially when using a lighter windlight. I also wondered if it was the skin I wear, it's a high quality one but I do find the shading under the chin a bit heavy sometimes but it seems all her skins are this way. 

I would love some advice on this please.

Hugs xx

https://gyazo.com/e665bb5953f2855f3140c6ea3170321b

https://gyazo.com/7cd6fdb1dfabb72274011539c2246218

If the option below is checked for you, uncheck it. You can access by pressing F1.
image.png.9e78b591fe15f1a30f4a818c3f427e80.png

Second, hop in the settings > display and scroll to SSAO and make sure the sliders look something like this
image.png.b6f6f203f474c356b56c4bebaa34273b.png

Third, take Rowan's advice and check if you have something hidden attached around your neck area. If there is SSAO will typically catch it and cause the weird neck lines you see.

16 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

If the option below is checked for you, uncheck it. You can access by pressing F1.
image.png.9e78b591fe15f1a30f4a818c3f427e80.png

Second, hop in the settings > display and scroll to SSAO and make sure the sliders look something like this
image.png.b6f6f203f474c356b56c4bebaa34273b.png

Third, take Rowan's advice and check if you have something hidden attached around your neck area. If there is SSAO will typically catch it and cause the weird neck lines you see.

Yesss this was it! Followed your instructions and it worked, no more heavy shadow under your chin. There was nothing attached to my neck (except my head 😆)

Thankyou so much for your help, so pleased xx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

That second picture is a bit small and dark but that one looks much more like a neck seam than a shadow to me, anyway. If that's a Maitreya body, have you gone in and fiddled to see which of the four neck size settings works best for the head?

Thankyou Katherine, all fixed now as seen in my comment above. It wasnt my body or neck seam and I thankyou for your kind advice, worth checking always xx

• Like 2

• Nikki Heron changed the title to Heavy Shadow under chin in Black Dragon (Fixed thankyou)
  • 2 weeks later...

Turning off SSAO is a bad advice, it is a fundamental base feature used for better/realistic lighting. It will vastly decrease lighting quality, remove subtle shadows and lighting differences on everything and make the world look a lot flatter.

I'd rather recommend lowering the SSAO Factor setting instead, it controls the "distance" between two depths to be taken into account. The higher the number, the further away objects will receive subtle shadows from objects in front of them, i'd recommend keeping it around default (or slightly smaller), a different approach would be lowering the SSAO Effect, as in increasing it towards 0. Negative values mean its black, positive values mean its white, i'd recommend somewhere between -0.5 and -0.2 if the default is too strong.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

Which is why I also mentioned also adjusting the setting as well in my comment 

You mentioned making sure they look like yours. I gave specifics, specifically i recommended not to set SSAO Effect to 0 like you did, 0 is close if not outright the same as "off" and thus wasting resources that could otherwise be used for improving the lighting.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.