AGENT_AUTOMATED is flawed and unreliable

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, ArtCurator said:

Now it's even unfair to have false positives as scripted agents, since sim/parcel owners can ban scripted agents, potentially banning legitimately  human user accounts

if the owner has the account set to scripted agent but is using the account, and the account is banned from the sim/parcel, who's fault is that then?   the system can only do what it's told, so if the user has the account flagged as scripted agent but is using at a normal account than that's on the user whom made the account not the sim/parcel owner setting an option.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

if the owner has the account set to scripted agent but is using the account, and the account is banned from the sim/parcel, who's fault is that then?   the system can only do what it's told, so if the user has the account flagged as scripted agent but is using at a normal account than that's on the user whom made the account not the sim/parcel owner setting an option.

The running theory is that accounts that are not self-reportedly "scripted agents" are still flagged as scripted agents by LL. In this hypothetical case an account that appears to be normal would still be prevented from entering sims that reject bots.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

i think that you don't understand the scenario. some legtimately human-run accounts are falsely being registered as "scripted agent" status internally by LL (not that they checked the "scripted agent" status themselves), thereby being banned from any sim/parcel that has chosen to ban "scripted agents"

Edited by ArtCurator

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The running theory is that accounts that are not self-reportedly "scripted agents" are still flagged as scripted agents by LL. In this hypothetical case an account that appears to be normal would still be prevented from entering sims that reject bots.

okay that makes quite a bit more sense,  weird, wonder where the error lies within that spaghetti lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArtCurator said:

i think that you don't understand the scenario. some legtimately human-run accounts are falsely being registered as "scripted agent" status internally by LL (not that they checked the "scripted agent" status themselves), thereby being banned from any sim/parcel that has chosen to ban "scripted agents"

To be clear about the theory, it's not so much that the unexpected positives are erroneous, exactly, but rather that they are (or were) correct characterizations of the account but for reasons beyond the self-declared "scripted agent" status. In some rare cases, those reasons may have become outdated, at least temporarily, as the undeclared scripted agent became human-operated for the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can add that at least one of my 6 or 8 accounts that are/were internally flagged as bots, was never used as bot. Not even once. I can understand why LL needs an internal bot flag, but it's difficult to understand the reason the flags are set. I can guess that a user reports an avatar as a suspected bot on land that's set to show in search, and the Linden who deals with it lazily flags it without doing any sort of checking.

The circumstance where a user is banned from a parcel without any apparent reason why, can be easily checked by the user by trying to TP into anywhere in Bellisseria. Any account that is internally flagged as a bot won't be able TP there. It's an easy check that the user can do.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.