Terraforming for Ranch Homes Not Flat Enough

Ember Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are there ANY ranch homes with perfectly flat terrain for the entire parcel? I've had absolutely no luck finding one that does not curve up at the edges and it's been very frustrating for putting down paths and utilizing the corner areas without the terrain clipping into a build's floor at the edge of the parcel while completely floating toward the center of the parcel.

• Like 1

I had one on Oak Knob that was pancake flat--actually two there that were side by side on a waterfall. I left them both, I have been looking for hills myself, lol.

I have one on Carsons Folly that is pretty flat. The whole parcel is elevated, but the part where you "live" is pretty flat. Carsons Folley is a clone of Wapiti and Buttercup Lane, and the Oak Knob is a clone of Gilead and Clemente. I don't think any of those are available, but you might want to look out for some future clones.

Edited by Fay Starlight
  • Like 4

On 8/16/2023 at 2:27 PM, Ember Ember said:

Are there ANY ranch homes with perfectly flat terrain for the entire parcel? I've had absolutely no luck finding one that does not curve up at the edges and it's been very frustrating for putting down paths and utilizing the corner areas without the terrain clipping into a build's floor at the edge of the parcel while completely floating toward the center of the parcel.

If you want a wall to go all the way around your parcel, you're going to have to make it in pieces because that's how the walls in the Content Packs work best. Where the land is lower, use wall pieces that you've stretched to be taller. Where the ground is higher, sink your wall pieces partially into the ground. If you want a building or patio, create a base for it that is tall enough so it won't hover over the ground, but can also be sunk into the ground where necessary. Plants, pathways and fencing should follow the "naturally" uneven ground level.

1 hour ago, AzureWaves said:

you're not suppose to cover every inch of your yard with a build, this is the reason why it's deliberately not flat, and i thank god every day for this 

Yeah but I get the OP's concern. If you want to put a nice little walking path or rez some grass - that tends to be made to fit flatter parcels. That said if you can find some walkways that have a little bit of a thick edge to them, or that include cut pieces in varying sizes; you can work them into mildly uneven terrain.

When measuring a plot you can wear a prim on avatar center, make it big enough for your needs, and lower it to just around ground; then walk around the plot to see how flat it is and get some ideas of where you can and cannot place elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The amount/grade of curved terrain at the edges of the parcel are less than 1m and so negligible imo that they could have just made average user lives easier by making the parcels completely flat with the curved terrain starting outside the parcel edges, especially with how far apart the ranch homes are.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:54 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah but I get the OP's concern

Thank you for understanding.

On 8/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, AzureWaves said:

you're not suppose to cover every inch of your yard with a build,

Your assumption is wrong in my case, I only needed a corner of the parcel to be flat for my build. But generally, why shouldn’t we be allowed to utilize our entire parcel if we so wished? We are paying customers entitled to a full 2048 sq. m. Are we not? As long as the build is within theme and parcel boundaries there’s no reason why someone should find it difficult to use the whole space.

In the end I’m just going to deal with the terrain clipping into my stable floor in the southwest corner of my parcel because adding a “foundation” and stairs to raise it just doesn’t look good to me. My parcel is on the southern sim edge of “Mink Julep” if anyone is curious enough to see and judge me further for having expressed my concern. 😂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.