Photography Questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! Im really new to SL and wanting to practice a bit of photography here. (Im 2 months old)

Im wanting to see if there is a camera hud suggestion, that isnt necessarily a camera being held, but a better way of using a camera. (I have black dragon, but would prefer to use Firestorm.)

Im also looking for a recommendation on a Pose hud that doesnt use a pose stand. Or if I was going to take photos of others in a sim that wasnt mine (and cant rez) what can I use? 

Or even a few places that have nice bento poses. I know I can look on marketplace, but I would like real opinions..and need something that is easy to use.

• Like 2

My favorite pose store is Ana Poses.

There's really no need for any kind of camera HUD. Some of your questions are answered here...

On 8/1/2023 at 4:59 PM, Orwar said:

Nice, but, I reckon by the time someone is trying to figure out SL photography, they know what SL is, so that bit feels rather superfluous. Furthermore most points feel like they just create more questions than they answer, like:

Are we assuming people know how to edit personal lighting/make sky settings (EEP) or how to use local lights, or that they can tell the difference between point lights and projector lights?

Also, this ..

Why would you suggest anyone get a 'camera HUD' when all those tools are right there in your viewer, script-free and without any cost or hassle. The one thing I'd tell anyone getting into SL photography is to remove the camera control bar from their viewers and learn how to free-cam with their mouse; it's by far the fastest and most accurate way to move your camera position, whether you're taking pictures or just navigating the grid.

You need no gadgets to get started with SL photography. 

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

If I could be bothered to I'd make a video, but .. I can't. There are a few on YouTube, although some I've seen take for granted that you know basic camera controls and such. Through a combination of Shift, L-Ctrl, L-Alt, and your mouse you can freecam, and you can either use the keyboard commands (ctrl + 0/8) or the View Angle slider to change the zoom. No need for any HUDs.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Spilledguts said:

Hello! Im really new to SL and wanting to practice a bit of photography here. (Im 2 months old)

Im wanting to see if there is a camera hud suggestion, that isnt necessarily a camera being held, but a better way of using a camera. (I have black dragon, but would prefer to use Firestorm.)

Im also looking for a recommendation on a Pose hud that doesnt use a pose stand. Or if I was going to take photos of others in a sim that wasnt mine (and cant rez) what can I use? 

Or even a few places that have nice bento poses. I know I can look on marketplace, but I would like real opinions..and need something that is easy to use.

Hi, you can read my post "A general approach for newbie second life photographers".

Regarding your question for a pose hud, consider buying the SLdomina Selfie Smartphone, which costs only 49 Lindens and allows you to take selfies everywhere in SecondLife with a wide choice of poses and lighting. It is then possible to pose even on sims which do not authorize the rez.
It would be best if you also considered joining the "Les Belle Isle" group, where you could meet other photographers to get support (I am one).
There are also free photo studios available for everybody.

Jocelyne

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

If I could be bothered to I'd make a video, but .. I can't. There are a few on YouTube, although some I've seen take for granted that you know basic camera controls and such. Through a combination of Shift, L-Ctrl, L-Alt, and your mouse you can freecam, and you can either use the keyboard commands (ctrl + 0/8) or the View Angle slider to change the zoom. No need for any HUDs.

I agree completely.

With the addition of Firestorm's built-in AO a couple of pose sets (sitting, standing etc.) can be easily created by adding specific poses/animations you have collected.

As with many things poses are very much subjective, so the only way to obtain specific ones you favour are to try them out. There are zillions of free poses on the marketplace, just search 'poses' priced from 0 to 0.

• Like 2

Check prim point light too, for lighting arrangements. This one would cost L$1 a whole buck. Could be add to worn if you cant rez. Maybe even attach to hud center ( then edit>stretch it to size ) not sure if it'd work as a hud, it might tho. Good luck !

Edited by rasterscan

There are various ways to pose in SL. Black Dragon has a Poser that I think is the best in SL. The problem is only you can see the pose.

PoseAnywhere makes a HUD that can be used to pose people or yourself. It uses SL poses. So it is not freestyle as it only uses poses available in SL (those you buy or make).

Strawberry Linden long ago, pre-Linden, published a blog and gave posing style, and camera tips. It is still online. The tips are here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.