camera control help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

umm so what did I do?? I use first person view a lot when looking around but for what ever reason now my scroll wheel zooms me in and out like the depth of field or I guess it zooms the POV, it used to be I would scroll it back to leave first person and I'm just so dumbfounded what just happened.. can yall like help me please? firestorm user.

Edited by xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild

Not sure what your issue actually is, but generally you can reset your camera control by hitting ESC.  Also, try Shift-ESC, and CTRL-9.

Personally, I now use the little onscreen Camera Control dialog box to go in and out of mouselook and change the camera position.  A short writeup about it:

This basic camera control is the same in Firestorm as in the official viewer.

• Like 2

What my issue is is that I don't know exactly what happened or when it happened but I would always go in the first person and then I would use the scroll wheel and then it would bring me out of first person view now the problem is when I'm in first person view if I use the scroll wheel my screen zooms and it won't leave first person

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

In Firestorm Preferences Move and View/Mouse look

• Leave Mouselook using the scroll wheel: If enabled, then you can exit mouselook by scrolling back with your mouse scrollwheel.

It is freaking fantastic that I literally explain my issue so perfectly that none of you still understand what the hell I'm even talking about, let me try to explain this one last time I'm in third person and I use my scroll wheel to go into first person at least that's the way it used to be now when I go in the first person and I use my scroll wheel my point of view you know when the screen zooms out and then when you pull the screen back you have a greater field of view yeah that's what it's doing and I can't figure out for the life of me why my scroll wheel is zooming the camera in first person

Like I appreciate the help and I'm not trying to get an attitude but nothing in my settings has changed is it a keyboard shortcut that I accidentally hit a key combination to make my first person view zoom in and out

Edited by xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild

But what you explained here...

2 hours ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

What my issue is is that I don't know exactly what happened or when it happened but I would always go in the first person and then I would use the scroll wheel and then it would bring me out of first person view now the problem is when I'm in first person view if I use the scroll wheel my screen zooms and it won't leave first person

is exactly what I posted about.

Here's a link to something you don't know...

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/keyboard_shortcuts

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But what you explained here...

is exactly what I posted about.

Here's a link to something you don't know...

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/keyboard_shortcuts

lmao damn just forget this forum, nothing in that web page tells me what the problem is or how to fix it and all you want to do is show me a web link instead of flipping just telling me. like dude I posted here for answers not to get a freakin web link which does not resolve the issue, so if you want to say well this is what you said, go freakin look at the website and you tell me how to fix it because it sure is not there. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I don't even understand what third person view is. 

My viewer only does mouse look (first person view?) and whatever I alt view at. 

Wish I could help you.

(Yup, I won't be going for any of the volunteer mentor roles any time soon :/ )

(But I'm going to log in now and have a faddle about with my camera controls and see if I can recreate your issue.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
Oh yes, forgot to say, I'm not a gamer either.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

is it a keyboard shortcut that I accidentally hit a key combination to make my first person view zoom in and out

Again, I was answering your question.  There's your keyboard shortcuts. 

Btw, I WAS looking into an actual fix for your issue but...nvm.

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Yup, I won't be going for any of the volunteer mentor roles any time soon

You'd probably be good at it depending, of course, on people's attitudes.  And why I stopped doing it.  😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

First person is called mouselook in SL. That means that this solution below is what you need to do.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

In Firestorm Preferences Move and View/Mouse look

• Leave Mouselook using the scroll wheel: If enabled, then you can exit mouselook by scrolling back with your mouse scrollwheel.

• Like 6

Yes, yes, yes, I think I see. Just have a faddle about with the camera controls, get the right view back. (I never faddled about with this before!)

And I am having a look at this. camera_floater [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

It does look like you've clicked on one of the options. Maybe. On the little camera controls screen. 

notaclue.jpg

• Like 1

Preferences/Controls...

• Upper left dropdown menu: Controls can be set differently for different situation. This allows you to choose which view you are setting controls for.
    • When in third person: Choose this to set controls you want to use when in third-person view.

• When in first person mode (mouselook): Choose this to set controls you want to use when in mouselook.
    • When editing avatar: Choose this to set controls you want to use when editing your avatar (Appearance).
    • When sitting: Choose this to set controls you want to use when sitting on furniture, vehicles, poseballs, etc.

• Restore Defaults: Sets controls back to defaults.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You'd probably be good at it depending, of course, on people's attitudes.  And why I stopped doing it.  😉

Since I turned 60 and am unable to officially retire in Real Life, my own attitude stinks and I have far less tolerance of rude/disgruntled people as I once had.

But today I have learned something new - which I like to do. I have used camera controls before, but only for up and down and left and right (because I never got along with WASD keys) and I never knew there were other buttons on it for the position of the avatar! Amazing.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 4

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

Since I turned 60 and am unable to officially retire in Real Life, my own attitude stinks and I have far less tolerance of rude/disgruntled people as I once had.

But today I have learned something new - which I like to do. I have used camera controls before, but only for up and down and left and right (because I never got along with WASD keys) and I never knew there were other buttons on it for the position of the avatar! Amazing.

The thing is, even if answers given are not the correct ones, a.polite "Thanks, but sadly not the fix" is always better than what we sometimes get.  It's nice when people acknowledge your attempt to help in a civilized manner.  

I learn new things on the forums all.the time.  Some I use.and some I don't but I like having that info to pass along when needed. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The thing is, even if answers given are not the correct ones, a.polite "Thanks, but sadly not the fix" is always better than what we sometimes get.  It's nice when people acknowledge your attempt to help in a civilized manner.  

I learn new things on the forums all.the time.  Some I use.and some I don't but I like having that info to pass along when needed. 

That's a personal peeve of mine: people who ask for help and are rude when you try to do so. It makes me not want to help at all anymore, most days.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SabrinaCooke said:

That's a personal peeve of mine: people who ask for help and are rude when you try to do so. It makes me not want to help at all anymore, most days.

That definitely needs to go on the Pet Peeves thread.

I'm heading over there now, but only because I am sitting shivering here in real life and feel the need to vent. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

That definitely needs to go on the Pet Peeves thread.

I'm heading over there now, but only because I am sitting shivering here in real life and feel the need to vent. 

Heh. I posted it there, too.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Aren't I your second person view?

No you are usually the first person to view me.  Now be serious, there is first person (mouselook) and third person (your eyes in the camera offset from your head).  Is the second person that Linden that watches everything I do?  (silently)

• Haha 4

Here's another answer you will doubtless find unhelpful:

Please join the inworld Firestorm Support group and ask your question there.  You may want to prepare for that by taking a gyazo (or equivalent) of the current state of your camera controls preferences page.

Hope you've solved your issue.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:
18 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So what happened to the second person view?  

Aren't I your second person view?

..maybe "Second Person" view is when you view yourself from the back, the "Standard View" as if you are "someone else" (a "second person") watching you?

This whole "other people exist" business is very confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Second person"? I thought this view was called the third person view.

This for me is based on my experience with first person perspective games. I've rocked the WASD + mouselook combo since the mid 1990s, thanks to way too many hours spent playing DOOM, Quake and Marathon + the mods that work with those games. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.