profile picture dimensions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I cannot find any information that is recent about dimensions or aspect ratios for profile pictures.  It also seems there is a difference between viewers and also on the web?  LOL.  May I please get some information on what everyone does as a great midground option?  I use Firestorm viewer. I saved snapshots onto my pc at 7680x4516 (hopefully not too big to downsize).  What do most people do?  And should I upload a different sized snapshot?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VixFoxetta said:

I cannot find any information that is recent about dimensions or aspect ratios for profile pictures.  It also seems there is a difference between viewers and also on the web?  LOL.  May I please get some information on what everyone does as a great midground option?  I use Firestorm viewer. I saved snapshots onto my pc at 7680x4516 (hopefully not too big to downsize).  What do most people do?  And should I upload a different sized snapshot?

As far as me, I think I did 512 x 512, cropping some to make it square for my main account.  Your pixel size is way too big if you want people to see your profile pic and have it load fast.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

As far as me, I think I did 512 x 512, cropping some to make it square for my main account.  Your pixel size is way too big if you want people to see your profile pic and have it load fast.  

The profile pictures for in viewer are square, now?  

I believe LL went with the 1: 1 aspect ration on the newest viewer so yes, square it is.

Textures that are 1:1 ratio like 512x512, 1024x1024 will show in profile as 1:1 ratio.
Textures with 2:1 ration like 1024x512 will show with 13:10 ratio (approximately).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, VixFoxetta said:

The profile pictures for in viewer are square, now?  

Yes, you could try 1024 x 1024 but some people get impatient for a photo of that size to rez.  Try it a larger size and see how fast your photo loads for friends.  If your 1024 x 1024 doesn't load fast, I can tell you that 512 x 512 usually looks pretty darn good for a profile pic.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think it's just square now. 

Sorry, wasn't laughing at you Ingrid.  I thought you were being sarcastic because of her ginormous pixel size she has in her OP.  And, you may have been, being sarcastic, I mean.  Her pixel size is like real life billboard size, practically.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think it's just square now. 

Me too. In the current Firestorm, if you use 1024x1024 or 512x512, it displays as a 1:1 (square) photo.

If you use 1024x512, it displays as a 4:3, so it sorta looks ok.

Historically, I recall that Firestorm displayed 4:3 always, so I would make a 1024x768 portrait and stretch it to a 1024x1024 (anamorphic) which looked perfect when displayed as 4:3. But now such an image displays 1:1 so it looks squashed. I was too clever.

Bottom line, just use a square photo as a profile pic.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Sorry, wasn't laughing at you Ingrid.  I thought you were being sarcastic because of her ginormous pixel size she has in her OP.  And, you may have been, being sarcastic, I mean.  Her pixel size is like real life billboard size, practically.

Yes, a tutorial I watched recommended this for photos and I forgot to make it smaller and was hoping I wasn't out of luck with resizing at those huge proportions. lol.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VixFoxetta said:

Yes, a tutorial I watched recommended this for photos and I forgot to make it smaller and was hoping I wasn't out of luck with resizing at those huge proportions. lol.

I don't think the SL viewer would even upload a photo with the pixel size you have in the OP.

Good luck, and I hope you get what you want and are happy with!  But, yeah, it's gotta be less pixels for a profile pic like 512 x 512.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I finally have an image up.  I didn't have issues of loss in quality, really.  ETA:  I cropped my photo in a 1:1 ratio and sized it down by halves, sharpening just a little as I stepped down.  I uploaded a 1024x1024, but I also have a 512x512 backup just in case.  I appreciate everyone's help.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.