Any scripts or prims in world for a 1 prim display screen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a few meshes with up 8 faces on marketplace. 8 surfaces facing forward will mean that the mesh will be are transparent on one side, so watch out for that if it matters.

Look for descriptions such as mesh panel. I believe some of those are full perm and free - e.g. Riders (off the top of my head).

Purely from memory I think a tortured prim can produce up 5 flat surfaces facing the way....

I looked at that, my guess is connecting to a website o  external api to generate an image?

My guess is that the object is a mesh and not a sculpty prim.  It might have been a trick to have a lot of faces and editing to get a low LI usage out of it. Also maybe a way to make the 8 face object  as a prim but have a low fractional LI for it. Trying to see if anyone knows a technique or where to buy it? A lot of good info, so thank you.

3 hours ago, Roger Thunders said:

I looked at that, my guess is connecting to a website o  external api to generate an image?

Yes and no, prims can effectively "host a website" which you can then visit; it's all in SL, nothing external.

The lowest Li a single link in a linkset can have is 0.5, and the most faces a non-'tortured prim' can have is 8. So, as others have mentioned, 16 characters per 1 Li. you can get 8x1 character meshes from the free 'furware' system, or from @KT Kingsley's MP store https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Eight-face-display-panels/11026621 among other places.

• 3 weeks later...

I bel

On 5/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, Roger Thunders said:

Looking for a prim to use for making games to lower the prim usage in world, I only have 8 sides prim now. Anyway to find a mesh that has a lot more. Possibly 8 by 8 or 10 by 10?

I believe you need to be thinking in terms of "faces", not sides. A mesh object in SL can have 100 sides as defined by vertices, but no more than 8 faces which can be assigned different textures, through scripting or otherwise. There is no way around this limitation as far as I know.

Hm. What are you trying to do?

Each "media on a prim" starts up an entire browser in each user's viewer that sees it. A full copy of Google Chromium for each face. You can see all the processes running. There's a ring of about 20 media-on-a-prim faces in Calleta near the main road, and if you click on all of them to turn them on, your viewer will turn into a toad.

SL doesn't have good ways of generating variable images. But there are some tricks. You can change which image asset you're displaying from a script. You can change which part of the asset is displayed, so you can have an image with a whole alphabet and change the displayed letter. There's a whole collection of clever hacks to do this sort of thing for signs.

(Personally, I'd like to have a bit more display capability in the viewer. Display .png, .jpg, and maybe .svg files directly, without launching a whole web browser.)

I did some experiments with a script. I found a 14 sided mesh object, the mesh has faces for 7 squares and then 2 face for the other 7 squares. The LI is 1 for the object, and a 7 sided flat mesh is treated as .5 so two would be 1. also an eight sided mesh is treated as .5 also so 2 of those would be 1. When I did the experiment with the 14 face display mesh, it was 7 sides with 2 links even though it was a 1 prim mesh. the 8 sided display mesh is technically 9 sides but the 9th is not rendered. This is speculation, but it might be a limit of the rendering or of the lsl itself

8 hours ago, Roger Thunders said:

I did some experiments with a script. I found a 14 sided mesh object, the mesh has faces for 7 squares and then 2 face for the other 7 squares. The LI is 1 for the object, and a 7 sided flat mesh is treated as .5 so two would be 1. also an eight sided mesh is treated as .5 also so 2 of those would be 1. When I did the experiment with the 14 face display mesh, it was 7 sides with 2 links even though it was a 1 prim mesh. the 8 sided display mesh is technically 9 sides but the 9th is not rendered. This is speculation, but it might be a limit of the rendering or of the lsl itself

I'm having trouble following you because you're (apparently?) switching back and forth between "sides" and "faces". Or perhaps I'm just not following your description correctly.

Faces and sides are not the same thing as far as SL is concerned, or rather the term "faces" is reserved for collections of "sides" to which textures and materials can be applied. While in your 3D authoring program for example you have vertices, edges, and faces (or sides, if you will), SL specifically reserves the term "face" or an area of an object to which a texture can be applied and that area may be composed of numerous sides (or faces as you would refer to them in your 3D program). So if you're in a 3D program and assigning materials to groups of faces, SL will only recognize a maximum of 8 group, and will refer to them as faces.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.