How to stay the sim healthy?

JSeesaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The sim has above 7000 active scripts: trains, pods, stores, weekly events, traffic games, sex furniture, interactive games, farms, and breedable pets.

Is it possible keeping those items but stay healthy without lag?

Yeah, "NO avatars" is pretty much what's going on now, if Fireheart is the region in question. There are like four avatars in the region at the moment and it still has almost 9 ms spare time in most frames, and 100% of the 7353 scripts run in nearly every frame. Assuming the  contents on the region are all that are intended for the region, there's no script lag at all.

Viewer-side, though… well, viewer lag is very dependent on graphics cards, etc. This region has Linden water wherever you look, and huge alpha-textured screens around some parcels, but nothing out of the ordinary for a mainland beach and water region.

I'm not really seeing any particular lag problem here right now, but "weekly events" and "traffic games" could certainly change that if many avatars come and go over short intervals.

[ETA: This is not to say all those classes of scripted objects are necessarily innocuous. For example, some breedables may add very little load to a region even in great number whereas just a few other breedables can be disastrous. Also, 7000 is still a lot of scripts, so it's reasonable to be concerned. If heavily scripted avatars add to the load, for example, that spare time could easily vanish and run percentage fall noticeably below 100, and then scripted interactions would feel laggy.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 4

A more constructive answer...

The region I typically inhabit is similar to that of the OP and lag is not usually an issue, even when I have parties and tens of people show up (region holds 45). I am involved in fleet cruises and flights several times a week that travel all over mainland and Bellisseria and only notice lag when many vehicles are in a homestead region (limit 25). The fixes introduced for region crossings during the uplift as well as the script performance improvements described here have been a true game changer for me. Occasionally, one enters a region that is "broken" and there are performance problems, but that is a different issue.

The crack about "no avatars" is for real, however. The number of main and child agents that a region's simulator must serve appears to be highly correlated with lag issues, as one would expect.

At SL19B, I asked for Linden Lab to issue some advice to residents on lag reduction. The intention is to clear up misinformation about old issues that have been addressed (e.g. texture size) and to promote best practices. A commitment was made to do this in a SL University video but, unfortunately, this has yet to happen (as far as I know).

For what it is worth my recent experience of lag comes from trying to ride a motorcycle cruise along with 20 or so others on motorcycle club tracks. The lag exhibits itself with my bike and avatar flying up into the air and spinning, sometimes ending up in the region corner. The others don't seem to get the lag I do. The one person that went through a few tests with me said they were downloading around 45 Mbps, I recently upgraded my internet speed to a 30 Mbps connection. It seems at least from my experience that lag is now more related to connection speeds the system requires than script load on regions.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your explanation.

The active scripts are hard to reduce under 7000. There usually has 4-8 avatars In the regular time. The breedable pets I know in the sim are PlantPets * 3, a Weeds Cannabis Farm, and oYo animals * 4.

I've noticed the spare time:
Four people 9-10ms;
Eight people 7-8ms;
Twelve people 5-6ms;
Seventeen people 3-4ms;
Twenty people 0-2ms.

That is the reason I am worried. I'm afraid of heavily scripted avatars coming in and out. But if the sim keeps looking active, it seems to need people.

I sometimes feel hard to keep a balance between lively playable experiences and the sim's load.

7 minutes ago, JSeesaw said:

That is the reason I am worried. I'm afraid of heavily scripted avatars coming in and out. But if the sim keeps looking active, it seems to need people.

I sometimes feel hard to keep a balance between lively playable experiences and the sim's load.

It doesn't really seem much worry is warranted, though. SL residents expect some lag in busy places, and these Spare Time numbers don't look at all scary to me. I mean, if there's any spare time in a frame, all queued scripts will run at full speed at least for that frame, and you can't get more than 100% scripts run.

The only advantage to having any "extra" spare time is as cushion for when new avatars arrive and all their scripts load causing a momentary burst of lag. The more spare time there is usually, the faster the region should be able to work down that arrival burst of excess script processing, but steady state it's just unused capacity.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Lag on the client side (you & your computer) is a result of a number of factors, not the least of which is connection speed and graphics card/computer capability.  This is commonly seen on group rides on motorcycle regions.  I'm just saying there is server side and client side 'lag'.  They are two very different animals.

Edited by RoxyCyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.