Discrimination or not?

Gwendolyne Finney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If a Region were to openly state "thus-and-so are not welcome here, because reasons", it would just invite challengers from Griefers.

Better that people experience the occasional "not fair!!1!!" Ban, as is the Region or Parcel owner's / manager's absolute right in Second Life.

Why fix what ain't broke?

If you don't like it, well, there are options.  ("Don't go where you aren't wanted" is #1)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
9 minutes ago, benchthis said:

I can not simplify it any future. It is the least complicated solution if positive results are desired. 

Your definition of a "positive result" apparently involves spamming regular SecondLifers with endless "Tin-Foil-Hat-Club" warnings, every time they sit on a scripted sofa and get a pose menu popup, or teleport to a store or a club, or try to buy anything, annoying spam that will drive off more users than it retains.

I wish I knew why I cared so much as well. 

I am very rarely full human, and through most of my entire SL existence, have been mostly non-human. There are only a handful of places I've run across that would take issue with that (beaches, usually). In those cases, if I really want to go, I'll put together a "land mermaid" avatar which is human, but with some mermaid touches (toss on a few starfish props and shells, tattoos, run around in a little plant skirt, etc.). No one ever seemed to take issue with that - even if I kept a few scales on.

The better places will have a board with rules posted right at the landing point. If they don't want fantasy avatars, then you can make something passable for the short term if you really want to go.

Another option is to ask around in the fantasy community for places to hang out. I know a new community hub is coming soon(tm) where sim owners will be able to advertise their roleplay and hangout locations that not only allow but cater to the fantasy community. Until then, definitely socialize around at some events (Fantasy Faire, We Love Roleplay, Engine Room, etc.) and see if anyone's got some favorite places to share.

As for mermaids being allowed in that one particular sim while other fantasy avatars are not - if it's a sailing sim, that makes sense to me. You can change to something closer to human if you want to sail, or just swap to a mermaid avatar and play around underwater. We do be out there causing mischief, after all. Nature's sim crossings. 😄

HD-wallpaper-the-lost-ship-fantasy-girl-

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As for mermaids being allowed in that one particular sim while other fantasy avatars are not - if it's a sailing sim, that makes sense to me.

I'd be afraid that Mermaids, being related to Sirens, would lure many a sailor to a watery grave.  What with their Goddess-like feminine, yet fishy-smelling wiles, and all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If a Region were to openly state "thus-and-so are not welcome here, because reasons", it would just invite challengers from Griefers.

Better that people experience the occasional "not fair!!1!!" Ban, as is the Region or Parcel owner's / manager's absolute right in Second Life.

Why fix what ain't broke?

If you don't like it, well, there are options.  ("Don't go where you aren't wanted" is #1)

that is why the review process is also important it will show users who the griefers are.

Review: This place is stupid

Owner: We're sorry you feel that way, please let us know how we can smarten it up.

Review: Go to hell. 

That would tell me the place is legit and proceed with exploring the region. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, benchthis said:

that is why the review process is also important it will show users who the griefers are.

Review: This place is stupid

Owner: We're sorry you feel that way, please let us know how we can smarten it up.

Review: Go to hell. 

That would tell me the place is legit and proceed with exploring the region. 

Sorry, but I agree that place-reviews are not going to happen, mostly because marketplace reviews are abused, and place-reviews would ultimately be spammed and useless.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As for mermaids being allowed in that one particular sim while other fantasy avatars are not - if it's a sailing sim, that makes sense to me. You can change to something closer to human if you want to sail, or just swap to a mermaid avatar and play around underwater. We do be out there causing mischief, after all. Nature's sim crossings. 😄

HD-wallpaper-the-lost-ship-fantasy-girl-

Exactly. Sailing sim, mermaids are a potential maritime hazard.

Diabolic Horned Drow, from the UnderDark however, are not.

HornedandBlue.thumb.jpg.2486b1579c565447212c8116b2a03c17.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sorry, but I agree that place-reviews are not going to happen, mostly because marketplace reviews are abused, and place-reviews would ultimately be spammed and useless.

abuse can't be an excuse all the time. it was just an idea I will think of others. 

18 minutes ago, benchthis said:

Currently users are pretty much blind when they enter a region, they have no idea of rules until they are banned. New users are showing up to places landing on scripted objects being spammed prolly targeted for fraud and rejected. Are those people going to want to spend time or money here? 

It's been like that since I've started and I've not once been banned from a region. If a notecard is offered explaining the rules of the region, I read it.   If my avatar is inappropriate for the theme or not dressed in theme, I've received a friendly IM asking me to either change or leave.  I leave.  I don't argue with anyone over my supposed right to be somewhere.  I simply tell them I was unaware of the rules.  No whining, no arguing, no nothing.  People are often asked if they want a LM or a notecard explaining the rules.  Not the owner or LL's responsibility if they fail to read it.

If one is continually banned from regions, my guess is it's them and not the region owners.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'd be afraid that Mermaids, being related to Sirens, would lure many a sailor to a watery grave.  What with their Goddess-like feminine, yet fishy-smelling wiles, and all.

It's what we do. Well, the nice ones don't.

I am not a nice mermaid.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's been like that since I've started and I've not once been banned from a region. If a notecard is offered explaining the rules of the region, I read it.   If my avatar is inappropriate for the theme or not dressed in theme, I've received a friendly IM asking me to either change or leave.  I leave.  I don't argue with anyone over my supposed right to be somewhere.  I simply tell them I was unaware of the rules.  No whining, no arguing, no nothing.  People are often asked if they want a LM or a notecard explaining the rules.  Not the owner or LL's responsibility if they fail to read it.

If one is continually banned from regions, my guess is it's them and not the region owners.

I get what your saying and I agree i'm say way, but new people don't know any better, you see the rage with new users when this happens over and over and over again and sl wonders why they can't retain new users. I guess it's a way to weed out the weak, I have no idea why the things are setup the way they are. If SL is not willing to change maybe someone out there looking to start something large will factor these problems in. 

• Haha 1

Think I should try crashing Frank's like this? (we - my building alt and I - are both members there)

On a serious note, yeah, read the rules of a place if it looks like any sort of RP or possibly restricted appearance. I'll usually find something appropriate to wear if I want to have a nosey around anywhere. It's only polite. Their house... their rules.

Reminds me of the time in RL that an ex (very ex 😡) 'friend' of mine tried to get into a club on an improptu night out. I was wearing the cheapest possible supermarket shirt and trousers, straight from work. He wore designer jeans that cost more than I earned in a week. Guess who got into the club and who the bouncers refused entry? He was fuming mad,  lol. He kept going on all night (I didn't abondon him and we found another club) about the unfairness of it.

Snapshot_2039a.thumb.png.64b27b98338901371ce0389113c349d3.png

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, benchthis said:

this happens over and over and over again

Again, not once did it happen to me.  If it's happening over and over and over again to someone, they need to change their behavior not the region owner.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Another option is to ask around in the fantasy community for places to hang out. I know a new community hub is coming soon(tm) where sim owners will be able to advertise their roleplay and hangout locations that not only allow but cater to the fantasy community. Until then, definitely socialize around at some events (Fantasy Faire, We Love Roleplay, Engine Room, etc.) and see if anyone's got some favorite places to share.

Spirit of Chiaroscuro is a small, welcoming hangout catering to the fantasy/pagan/lgbt community and all avatar types are welcome, including but not limited to fantasy types.  We don't have sailing (as we're on mainland, landlocked and half-way up a hill)*** but we have a nice hangout spot, a stone circle for dancing and ritual, a healing house and spa, and a party spot for the Saturday parties.

*** Our landlord has a rez-spot for boats down by the lake in the same region which anyone is welcome to use.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Again, not once did it happen to me.  If it's happening over and over and over again to someone, they need to change their behavior not the region owner.  

Me neither. Because if I'm asked to change my avatar or leave, I change. Or leave, in good grace and without objection or kicking up a fuss.

• Like 7

Just now, Maitimo said:

Spirit of Chiaroscuro is a small, welcoming hangout catering to the fantasy/pagan/lgbt community and all avatar types are welcome, including but not limited to fantasy types.  We don't have sailing (as we're on mainland, landlocked and half-way up a hill)*** but we have a nice hangout spot, a stone circle for dancing and ritual, a healing house and spa, and a party spot for the Saturday parties.

*** Our landlord has a rez-spot for boats down by the lake in the same region which anyone is welcome to use.

That sounds fun! I have to start making a list of places to go. I spend so much time shopping and decorating that I barely ever find myself in a situation these days where I need to read sim rules.😄 My social life is non-existent! I should fix that.

• Like 2

Wasn't there in the very first OP some mention of harassment verbally/textually? Or was that another post/thread?

I have no issue with the "my sim, my rules" bit. No one should have to endure harassment though when being asked/told to leave. A polite "Sorry, our sim doesn't welcome XYZ avatar types, off you go please" should suffice.

Then again, it's SL where some men utterly lose it (in Nearby chat, no less) when they approach a female avatar run by a male and get surprised by that fact, so what can you do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gwendolyne Finney said:

I am surprised that one would allow a mermaid in (also a fantasy creature), but not a dark elf.

I can see how humans boating around the sim might not mind a mermaid swimming alongside there boat but would less pleased if the boat next to theirs was occupied by dark elves. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.