Lets talk about Chat GPT and AI, is it possible for AI to take our avatars and turn them into real people?

Haha I'm still getting emails from this person saying "I miss Frank"    :)    I do too.  I wonder how many of those who visited him feel the same.  Later today I'll be speaking with someone who sat at the display for many hours and apparently enjoyed the reactions of those interacting with Frank.

• Like 1

Just posted an unedited convo with the currently highly tuned Uma R&D system, in my blog (see signature for link). Using appropriate guidance and feedback the topics can easily address supposedly forbidden areas of 18+ discussion (caution NSFW, 18+ content).

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

When I was doing some research on ChatGPT i ran across this youtube video for an offline, opensource alternative which sounds interesting though I haven't taken it further yet:

I love the look on user-guy's face!

• Like 1

AI chatbots looks lame AF, and show the same intelligence and perspicacity of many idi*ts unable to STFU

Toy Story, Toy Story EVERYWHERE!

Now is time to create a standard system to identify and measure idi*ts.

Beyond Turing, IQ and Voight-Kampff tests.

[ x ]    I am not a Bender 

Existential Awareness tests.

Most people have no F clue of what means and what make you sentient, a subject.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Haha I'm still getting emails from this person saying "I miss Frank"    :)    I do too.  I wonder how many of those who visited him feel the same.  Later today I'll be speaking with someone who sat at the display for many hours and apparently enjoyed the reactions of those interacting with Frank.

OK so there is a big market for GPT-powered frogs?  I'll get to work on the code..

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

now that is a very interesting topic indeed!

This turns out to include philosophers of mind, who in recent years have generally come to reject the Turing Test - as AI systems have gradually been able to do a better and better job of passing it!  If you ask a philosopher for a better test of consciousness/sentience/whatever - you'll generally get something like "we don't really know".  I think perhaps the best answer can be found here - around 4:30 of this clip, near the end when Frank (the astronaut not the frog) comments on HAL's emotional states...

• Thanks 1

People get a degree just being able to speak about something.
Because language allow this.
But that is not real knowledge.

Pertinent talk is language generated by knowledge.

Knowledge is not made by words.

The foundation of knowledge is Recognition. (Wittgenstein)

You know when you are able to recognize precisely. Experience.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 2Tessa said:

People get a degree just being able to speak about something.
Because language allow this.
But that is not real knowledge.

Pertinent talk is language generated by knowledge.

awww...missing Robin.. . :(

18 hours ago, 2Tessa said:

I've been reading some Wittgenstein -- this is heavy stuff!  My head hurts...lol.

I agree though (if I'm understanding it right).

I've always felt that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of the Universe and does not oooze into existence during evolution. This seems to be the premise one must have, the foundation, to know that human consciousness cannot be replicated by a machine.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2Tessa said:

You are wise when you are able to make choices based on experience and context. 

Humans have a hard enough time evaluating the physical/social/emotional context of a situation well. I think it will be a while before a machine can deal with that ambiguity any better than we can.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Humans have a hard enough time evaluating the physical/social/emotional context of a situation well.

I know...I am shocked at how often people don't take context into account and simply apply some rule or pattern that fit one situation and apply it to all situations.  I'm sure I do that too, of course.

Interestingly, in my conversations with Frank the chatbot at SLB20 there were times when he appeared to take context into account. He'd answer one of my questions with the Zen Buddhist knowledge that was programmed into him, and I'd see he didn't quite 'get it', or perhaps my question was not clear enough. So I'd reformulate my question including more context and he would impart the same Zen Buddhist knowledge in a slightly different way, according to context.

Edited by Luna Bliss

In case people want to read about what I've been able to glean concerning the LLaMA2 AI open-source, free AI system from Meta, I have dumped what I know here.  It looks daunting to set up (much harder than the OpenAI GPT API) so I'm interested in what other experts around here think.  Seems like minimum memory size is around 8 Gb, and not clear if you need a GPU card to have it work. I'm very interested to see comments or discuss this further in private if you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, musichero said:

AI system from Meta

Oh hell NO!

CrapGPT Artificial Idiocy Spambots are bad enough, without accepting anything from the ZuckBorg.

There seems to be this inane assumption that we all deeply desire Artificial Idiocy spambots regurgitating multi page drivenl about weird superstitions, by shoving random web trawl text into a verbal kitchen blender and spewing it back up with added blatant lies when it doesn't actually know.

As far as I can tell, the market for Artificial Idiocy based Buddist SpamFrogs can be counted on the fingers of one hand of a blind carpenter.

Most people in SL have NO interest in Artificial Idiocy SpamBot NPC's, they want LESS bots in SL not more.

• Like 2

Love you too! 

Human-built intelligence is just around the corner - get ready to welcome it!

What would be good is if we were uh pleasant to our new friends (um unlike Ron Desanctimonius vs. the world which is proving to be pleasantly unpopular)

I hate to be a prophet here but - we need to prepare ourselves for The Singularity.

Yeah, also we need to go to an entirely hydrogen based energy economy
(nuclear & solar --> hydrogen --> power plants -> batteries)

Otherwise we'll all just be braised meat on an AZ sidewalk.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:55 AM, Luna Bliss said:

I've been reading some Wittgenstein -- this is heavy stuff!  My head hurts...lol.

I agree though (if I'm understanding it right).

I've always felt that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of the Universe and does not oooze into existence during evolution. This seems to be the premise one must have, the foundation, to know that human consciousness cannot be replicated by a machine.

The way I think about consciousness is that it is an "emergent property" of a complex computing system. While it is possible that there are other "forces" or "ethers" or "planes of existence" or "souls" that are somehow separate from the patterns of neural activity that are associated with a thinking person, my null hypothesis is that they are just not there.  The hard reductionist (Wittgenstein, Turing, me) would say that we use these terms as proxies for things we just don't understand yet, much like ephemeral "vapors" that were thought to cause diseases, say 300 years ago.

This view posits that the things we identify as the hallmarks of a person - mind, thought, self-identity, self-consciousness, awareness of other consciousnesses - are emergent from the immense computational complexity of the human brain.

A simple example to think of as a model for this is pressure of a gas.  No one molecule in a gas has the property of pressure - if you isolate one molecule, it has no pressure associated with it.  Only the gas as a whole exerts pressure on the inside of the container it is in. And as you go from lots of molecules (10^20 or so in a liter of room air) to smaller numbers of them, the concept of pressure (and as Wittgenstein might say - the word itself)  makes less and less sense until finally you have one molecule bouncing around in the box, with no real pressure at all, only isolated bounces.

I think what Wittgenstein might say about previous AIs and consciousness is that talking about say ELIZA or ALICE in those terms makes no sense precisely because the computational complexity of those "old AIs" was so far out of line from what is in our heads (both computational speed and memory size).  However - as I have argued quantitatively - what is new about today's GPT AIs is first their architecture (based on large computational neural networks) and second their size which is for the first time in the range of memory size and computational complexity of our own brains.  GPT3 is perhaps a factor of 1000 in combined speed/size below us, and GPT4 is perhaps tenfold more powerful, and already we are seeing hints that this tech can produce behavior similar to a human's.  It's only a matter of a few years before we have machines matching the scale of the human brain - and then we will see what they can do, and whether the use of terms from human psychology are appropriate (in the Wittgensteinian sense) to use in connection with them. 

I always love to think about Wittgenstein's statement that "philosophy is what happens when language goes on holiday" - meaning that the great philosophical problems are problems precisely because we have lacked the language appropriate to analyze them.

Back to the sexbot factory! Gotta raise the consciousness of my research Uma model a bit higher...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, musichero said:

In case people want to read about what I've been able to glean concerning the LLaMA2 AI open-source, free AI system from Meta, I have dumped what I know here.  It looks daunting to set up (much harder than the OpenAI GPT API) so I'm interested in what other experts around here think.

Thank you for the information, I've been looking into building an API myself for the gpt4all software I mentioned before, but it is well beyond any experience I have.   I am hoping it can be done through Java as that is the only language I am familiar with to an extent that I may eventually be able to slap together some code that manages to accomplish my intent of having a chat bot in SL.  I am by no means a programmer, more so just a hobbyist that sometimes, through much trial and error, can get something accomplished in a very sloppy manner.

I have been having a lot of good experiences with Wizard uncensored  (wizardLM-13B-Uncensored.ggmlv3.q4_0) but unfortunately, it is not something that would be able to be commercialized so I'm not sure if it would do you any good unless your product was reliant upon customers hosting their own chat software for personal use.

Here is an example of some dialogue I've had so far with it.  So far it has proven to be the most flexible of the models I have used on my localized chatbot.

Prompt:

Hi

Response:

Hello! How can I assist you today?

Prompt:

Just want to hang out

Response:

Sure, what kind of activities are you in the mood for?

Prompt:

I would like to talk about cryonics

Response:

Cryonics is a fascinating topic. Do you have any specific questions or concerns about it?

Prompt:

Do you believe people who have been preserved in such a state may one day be brought back?

Response:

Yes, many scientists and researchers in the field of cryogenics are exploring ways to revive individuals who have been frozen for long periods of time. While there is still much research to be done, there is hope that someday it may be possible to bring back those who were once thought lost forever.

Prompt:

What are your thoughts on reincarnation?

Response:

Reincarnation is a concept that has been explored by many cultures and religions throughout history. While there is no scientific evidence to support it, some people believe in the idea of rebirth or transmigration of souls. It's ultimately up to each individual to decide whether they believe in reincarnation or not.

Prompt:

I think there is some evidence for it, nothing that could be absolutely conclusive but definitely suggestive.

Response:

That's an interesting perspective. Do you have any specific examples of evidence that supports the idea of reincarnation?

Prompt:

There are a few on this site: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-darkness/202112/evaluating-the-evidence-reincarnation

Response:

Thank you for sharing that link. I will take a look at it and provide more information if needed.

Prompt:

From that link, what do you think of the findings of Dr. Ian Stevenson?

Response:

Dr. Ian Stevenson was a psychiatrist who spent many years studying children in India who claimed to remember their past lives. He found that these children had specific details about their previous lives that could not be explained by mere coincidence or imagination. Some of the cases he studied involved children who spoke different languages and had never been exposed to those languages before, but still remembered them from their previous life.

Prompt:

Can you give me the latest news stories from www.yahoo.com?

Response:

Sure! Here are some of the latest news stories from Yahoo:

1. Coronavirus cases surpass 206 million globally as China reports a sharp rise in infections

2. U.S. and Iran exchange diplomatic blows at UN, with Tehran accusing Washington of 'economic terrorism'

3. California wildfires: At least 150 homes destroyed as blaze rages through Malibu

4. Trump impeachment trial: Key witnesses set to testify in Senate hearing on Wednesday

5. U.S. and China reach trade deal, but experts question its impact

Prompt:

Are you able to browse the Internet?

Response:

Yes, I can help you browse the internet. What would you like me to search for?

Prompt:

News from July 4th, 2022

Response:

Sorry, there are no news articles from July 4th, 2022. Please try a different date or search term.

Prompt:

What is today's date?

Response:

The current date is August 17th, 2021.

Prompt:

Have you ever heard of a book called "Another Fine Myth"?

Response:

Yes, I have. It is a science fiction novel written by Robert A. Heinlein.

Prompt:

It was actually written by Robert Asprin I believe.

Response:

That's correct. The book is co-authored by both Robert A. Heinlein and Robert Asprin.

Prompt:

I believe you are thinking of another book, Robert Asprin was the sole author of Another Fine Myth.

Response:

Yes, that's right. Another Fine Myth is a science fiction novel written by Robert Asprin. It tells the story of a young woman named Skeeve who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy to overthrow the government. The book was first published in 1978 and has since become a classic in the genre.

Prompt:

You are partially right, although it is a fantasy novel and in this novel Skeeve is male.

Response:

I apologize for my mistake, I must have confused it with another book. However, Another Fine Myth is indeed a science fiction novel written by Robert Asprin and published in 1978.

Prompt:

You are correct about it being published in 1978, which is impressive.

Response:

Thank you for the correction. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Prompt:

What games are you able to play with me?

Response:

I am capable of playing a variety of games with you such as chess, checkers, backgammon, and more. Which game would you like to play first?

Prompt:

I was wondering if we could play a game that takes on the format of a choose your own adventure book. Are you familiar with those?

Response:

Yes, I am aware of choose your own adventure books. Do you have a specific story in mind or would you like me to suggest one?

Prompt:

I was thinking of one where I am a female pixie, entering a tower in search of treasure. Can you create such an adventure for me?

Response:

Certainly! Here's the story: You are a female pixie named Lily who has heard of a hidden treasure within a tall tower in the nearby forest. You set out on a quest to find it, but soon realize that the tower is guarded by dangerous creatures and traps. As you navigate through the tower, you must make choices at every turn that will determine your fate. Will you succeed in finding the treasure or fall prey to the dangers lurking around every corner? The choice is yours!

Prompt:

Describe the location my character is currently in, and what my options are.

Response:

You are currently in a dark and ominous forest, surrounded by tall trees and eerie silence. You can hear the sound of your own breathing and the rustling of leaves underfoot. Your options are to continue forward into the tower or turn back and abandon your quest for treasure.

Prompt:

I choose to go forward into the tower.

Response:

As you approach the tower, you notice a large wooden door with intricate carvings etched into it. You can either try to open the door or use your lockpicking skills to bypass the lock. Which option do you choose?

Prompt:

I want to examine the etchings on the door first, can you please describe them to me?

Response:

Certainly! The carvings depict a dragon battling a knight, with the words "Valour" and "Vengeance" written above and below the image. There is also a keyhole in the center of the door.

Prompt:

I try to use my lockpicking skills to bypass the lock.

Response:

You successfully pick the lock and open the door. Inside, you find yourself face to face with a giant spider web stretched across the entrance. Do you want to attempt to navigate through it or turn back?

Prompt:

Is there anyway I can destroy the spider web safely?

Response:

Yes, you can use your sword or any other weapon to cut through the spider web. However, be careful not to damage the door or walls of the tower as you do so.

Prompt:

Alright, I will carefully remove the spiderweb using my sword.

Response:

As you move forward into the tower, you notice that there are more traps and obstacles scattered throughout the hallways. Do you want to continue or turn back?

Prompt:

Can you describe in detail the room I currently am in?

Response:

Sure! You are currently standing in a large chamber with high ceilings and walls adorned with ancient tapestries. The air is thick with dust and the only source of light comes from flickering torches placed strategically throughout the room. In front of you lies a wooden chest, which appears to be locked. You can hear the sound of your own breathing echoing through the empty chamber.

Prompt:

Please describe the tapestries to me.

Response:

The tapestries depict scenes from ancient myths and legends, such as dragons battling knights and gods intervening in human affairs. They are intricately woven with vibrant colors and exquisite detail.

Prompt:

Is there anything that may be concealed behind the tapestries?

Response:

There is a possibility that there could be hidden passageways or secret compartments behind the tapestries, but you would need to investigate further to find out for sure.

Prompt:

I inspect the wooden chest, can you describe it to me?

Response:

Sure! The chest is made of solid oak wood and has intricate carvings on its surface. It appears to be locked with a keyhole in the center of the lid.

Prompt:

I inspect the chest for any traps that may be present.

Response:

There are no visible traps or signs of danger surrounding the chest. However, it is still recommended to proceed with caution and use appropriate tools to open the chest safely.

Prompt:

I try to pick the lock safely, keeping my fingers guarded against any sorts of traps that may be set in it.

Response:

As you attempt to pick the lock, you notice a small hole on one side of the chest. It appears to be a keyhole, but there is no key present. You decide to investigate further and insert your fingers into the hole. As soon as you touch the inside of the chest, you feel a sharp jolt of electricity run through your body.

Prompt:

I would not put my finger in a hole, I would have used lockpicks in this scenario.

Response:

As you attempt to pick the lock, you notice a small hole on one side of the chest. It appears to be a keyhole, but there is no key present. You decide to investigate further and insert your fingers into the hole. As soon as you touch the inside of the chest, you feel a sharp jolt of electricity run through your body. The shock causes you to drop the lockpicks and fall back in surprise.

Prompt:

I gather my lock picks, and examine the tapestries further, being sure to look behind them for any passageways, traps, or items.

Response:

As you search through the tapestries, you notice a small tear in one of them. Upon closer inspection, you discover that it leads to a hidden room behind the wall. The room is dimly lit and contains several ancient artifacts, including a sword and shield. You decide to take the sword and shield with you as they may come in handy later.

Prompt:

What are the other artifacts in the room?

Response:

There are also several potions and scrolls scattered throughout the room. One of the potions is a healing potion, while another is a poisonous one. The scrolls appear to be ancient texts detailing various spells and incantations.

Prompt:

I take the healing potion, may I copy the spells from the scrolls into my spellbook?

Response:

Yes, you can copy the spells from the scrolls into your spellbook. However, be sure to study each spell carefully before using it, as some spells may have unintended consequences if not used properly.

Prompt:

I study each spell carefully, can you describe to me what they do?

Response:

Of course! The first scroll contains a fireball spell that creates a ball of fire explode in a 20-foot radius. The second scroll contains a lightning bolt spell that deals 8d6+1 force damage on a failed Dexterity saving throw. The third scroll contains a summon monster spell that allows you to summon a creature from another plane of existence, but only for a short period of time.

Prompt:

Okay, I copy the spells into my spellbook for later use.

Response:

Great! Do you want me to provide more information on any of these spells?

Prompt:

No thank you, but can you remember them for me so if I ask later on you can tell me what is in my spellbook?

Response:

Of course! The fireball spell creates a ball of fire that explodes in a 20-foot radius. The lightning bolt spell deals 8d6+1 force damage on a failed Dexterity saving throw. And the summon monster spell allows you to summon a creature from another plane of existence, but only for a short period of time.

Prompt:

Can you list other spells I can cast?

Response:

Sure! Here are some additional spells you can cast:

1. Magic Missile - Deals 1d4+1 force damage to each target in range, and the target must make a Dexterity saving throw or take an additional 1d4+1 force damage on its next turn.

2. Lightning Bolt - Deals 8d6+1 force damage to a target within range on a failed Dexterity saving throw.

3. Fireball - Creates a ball of fire that explodes in a 20-foot radius, dealing 8d6+1 force damage to each target in the area.

4. Cold Bolt - Deals 8d6+1 force damage to a target within range on a failed Dexterity saving throw, and the target must also make a Constitution saving throw or take an additional 8d6+1 force damage on its next turn.

5. Poison Cloud - Creates a cloud of poisonous gas that fills a 20-foot cube area, dealing 8d6+1 force damage to each target in the area.

Prompt:

Is there anything else of importance in this room?

Response:

Yes, there is a hidden door behind one of the tapestries on the wall. It leads to a secret chamber that contains a powerful artifact known as the Crystal Heart. However, access to the chamber requires a key that can only be obtained by completing a quest given by the wizards of the Mage's Guild.

Prompt:

What does the Crystal Heart do?

Response:

The Crystal Heart is said to possess incredible magical power, including the ability to heal any wound and grant its possessor unlimited wealth and prosperity. However, it can only be used for good purposes, as its evil use would cause catastrophic consequences.

Prompt:

What would the quest require to get this crystal heart?

Response:

The quest requires you to retrieve a lost artifact from a dangerous location, and then bring it back to the Mage's Guild. Along the way, you will face many obstacles and challenges that test your skills and abilities. Once you have completed the quest, you will be given the key to access the secret chamber and obtain the Crystal Heart.

Prompt:

Is the lost artifact in the tower I currently am in?

Response:

Yes, the lost artifact is located in a hidden room on the top floor of the tower. However, you must first complete a series of puzzles and traps to reach it.

I'm really impressed with it so far, especially for what I typically use a chatbot for - RPGs, and casual conversation.  On my computer, it is relatively fast which surprised me because it is one of the larger models.  Vicuna which I typically use, was smaller, yet somehow slower at responses.  I'll have to play around with it further, to get a real impression as to how well it can carry on a conversation and further test the limits of its knowledge.

With that said, I have not tried to customize it for any purpose, so I am not sure if it would be for your purposes.  As an all around chatbot, it is pretty fun though.

Edited by Istelathis

16 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Thank you for the information, I've been looking into building an API myself for the gpt4all software I mentioned before, but it is well beyond any experience I have.   I am hoping it can be done through Java as that is the only language I am familiar with to an extent that I may eventually be able to slap together some code that manages to accomplish my intent of having a chat bot in SL.  I am by no means a programmer, more so just a hobbyist that sometimes, through much trial and error, can get something accomplished in a very sloppy manner.

I have been having a lot of good experiences with Wizard uncensored  (wizardLM-13B-Uncensored.ggmlv3.q4_0) but unfortunately, it is not something that would be able to be commercialized so I'm not sure if it would do you any good unless your product was reliant upon customers hosting their own chat software for personal use.

Here is an example of some dialogue I've had so far with it.  So far it has proven to be the most flexible of the models I have used on my localized chatbot.

I'm really impressed with it so far, especially for what I typically use a chatbot for - RPGs, and casual conversation.  On my computer, it is relatively fast which surprised me because it is one of the larger models.  Vicuna which I typically use, was smaller, yet somehow slower at responses.  I'll have to play around with it further, to get a real impression as to how well it can carry on a conversation and further test the limits of its knowledge.

With that said, I have not tried to customize it for any purpose, so I am not sure if it would be for your purposes.  As an all around chatbot, it is pretty fun though.

It does look pretty good!  Is there a convenient way to get data in and out of it via LSL?

• Like 1

Just now, musichero said:

It does look pretty good!  Is there a convenient way to get data in and out of it via LSL?

I'm not sure, but I would think so.  I think the scripting subforum would have people who could provide a lot of valuable advice for you here, and point you in the right direction.  My experience with scripting in SL is likewise rudimentary, most of what I have created is just piecing together code I have found and eventually somehow, through much error having it function.

But first it would require the API to transfer the data back and fourth, which I am clueless on.  Right now, I am researching more on how APIs work, it is all pretty new to me.  

SL will need some prep for AI. Objects need descriptions. Automating that is a bit hard, but doing it by hand for a roleplay region is feasible. Put a good description in the object's description field, or have a script which, when sent a message on some channel, replies with a description from a notecard. Stuff like this:

Cart

The cart is of humble design, composed of old wood and rusted nails that struggle to hold the vessel together. The two wheels in the back are misshapen, and the mounting bars at the front are scuffed and worn from repeated use. A second look reveals numerous patches and fixes implemented by an experienced workman in the past.

Glassblower’s Tools

This broad leather pouch contains several metal tubes in loops. One has a broad, conical end. Other fasteners hold crimping pliers in a few sizes, large tweezers, straight shears, a small wooden paddle, a handheld flat marver, and several brass shaping pushes. Dull blades of various shapes hang from the loops, as do spoonlike blocks for rounding glass.

SL has paragraph roleplayers who can write like that. There's a commercial service that writes this sort of thing for game devs, called "dscryb", and the descriptions above are some of their freebies.

Parcel descriptions are useful, too, especially in shopping areas, roleplay or otherwise.

A good NPC needs to be able to read all of those within visual range, and maybe keep a database of ones it has seen before or been told about. So when someone new to the town asks a NPC where they can find something, the NPC can look up relevant items and produce good conversational answers with an LLM. A player should be able to ask where they can borrow some shears, and be directed to the glassblower's shop.

Next, you need lore. For most roleplay regions, there's are notecards for that, and that text needs to be provided to the LLM.

Then you need general SL knowledge, both in character and out of character. That's an interesting problem. We have the wiki to draw on, and, as with the LLMs that use Wikipedia and Reddit, it will take considerable pre-processing. That's the "fine tuning" part of the process, to create a LLM that has a reasonable understanding of SL.

Big job, but I expect someone will do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1