Recommend a beach skybox?

Ricky Shaftoe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for a skybox that includes water, beach, nice sunset views, and maybe a little cottage. I have 4000 square meters free, plenty of space for prims. I'm not sure whether I need a closed environment, or whether I could buy a platform that holds water, waves, beach, and tiny house, so that I could see SL's actual sunset. Could I stick such a thing high in the air and enjoy sunsets?

I'm lazy, so I just want to buy something. I've looked on marketplace, and I see cottages and skyboxes galore, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

I'm looking for a skybox that includes water, beach, nice sunset views, and maybe a little cottage. I have 4000 square meters free, plenty of space for prims. I'm not sure whether I need a closed environment, or whether I could buy a platform that holds water, waves, beach, and tiny house, so that I could see SL's actual sunset. Could I stick such a thing high in the air and enjoy sunsets?

I'm lazy, so I just want to buy something. I've looked on marketplace, and I see cottages and skyboxes galore, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently in the middle of a major sky platform renovation where I'm building my own little place nestled in some small, flowery hills surrounded by a pond, with rock formations and cozy waterfalls with a nice beach view. What you want is doable, but could result in a ton of work. I'm like...halfway done with this mess and been at it for weeks.

Easier ways of accomplishing this - try a Tropical Mirror Box (it comes in a bunch of sizes and there are demos you can take home and play with). That's got the water included, a scene changer, and some nice mesh islands - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/THE-MIRROR-BOX-20-TROPICS-32x32m/19474018 . I'd definitely recommend going to the in-world store and checking out the demo that's been set up, as well as picking up a demo for yourself to bring home.

• Like 3

I'd suggest buying a closed 32x32 or 64x64 environment box from a store like Landscapes Unlimited ( @Ayashe Ninetails mentions above) that allows you to change the interior scenery to tropical, and then just build you own tropical beach and add a Scarlet Creative beachy home to it. You don't even need the beach one, since they all come with tropical type scenes inside.

And yes, you could just build an open platform but with the Mirror Boxes, you get privacy. If you do go the route of just a platform, you can easily beach landscape them and add water with any number of MP store terrain kits.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

When I wanted to be in more beachy surrounds in the sky I created my own platform stretching a flattened prim to 32x32 (size of my plot) used one of the sand textures in the library, then hollowed out a prim to fit on the platform to make a one way surround (transparent on outside) applied a beach scene texture I found on the marketplace to the inside. For the house I used the no pool version of this due to prim constraints https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ROOST-Uplands-Fold-House-with-Pool/6228740 and added this 2 Li palm cluster https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/7-Palms-2-LI-OPQ-7-Palms-11d-7-Palms-2-LI/15755057 to fill out the beachy look

ROOST - Uplands Fold House with Pool

• Like 3

Thanks for all these helpful replies!

@Katherine Heartsong, that's a good point about privacy. I thought land had a checkbox that prevents neighbors from peeking in, but maybe that doesn't help you if you have no walls up? 

Also, a question for @Katherine Heartsong and @Rowan Amore and @Ayashe Ninetails : the Mirror Box sounds like a great option. Since it's a skydome, is there a way to simulate the setting sun? Maybe I could just paste an orange-red disk to the horizon? :)

- Ricky

6 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

There are various visuals you set simply by clicking on the wall (as the owner) and selecting from. Do a search in world for Landscapes Unlimited and TP to their store where they have all the demos available to look at.

I'm going to have to have a look too.  That Winter one looks amazing (just from the picture) but that I would be interested in for next year.  I wanna go see it in person.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Thanks for all these helpful replies!

@Katherine Heartsong, that's a good point about privacy. I thought land had a checkbox that prevents neighbors from peeking in, but maybe that doesn't help you if you have no walls up? 

Also, a question for @Katherine Heartsong and @Rowan Amore and @Ayashe Ninetails : the Mirror Box sounds like a great option. Since it's a skydome, is there a way to simulate the setting sun? Maybe I could just paste an orange-red disk to the horizon? :)

- Ricky

And...they have demos!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Try searching SKYBOX WITH BEACH.  There are some on Marketplace.  However, I think most of them work like a skydome.  You'd have to look.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=skybox+with+beach

Also could try skybox AND beach.  The AND is supposed to assure that both terms have to be in the search. I got fewer clothing hits using AND.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=G&search[keywords]=skybox+AND+beach

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

I'll try a search like that tomorrow, @auntiemisha. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the Mirror Box demo. I can really only fit the 32 x 32.  It feels like a box, heh. Not sure it's what I'm looking for, but I'll keep playing with it.

Any luck? I won't be online until next week, but I built one myself on a 1008sqm plot. Floated it in the sky. You won't have a sea view, but you can totally create the illusion you are near the sea on the beach. Let me see your plot! Landscaping is my thing 

16 hours ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Thanks in advance.

Omg just saw this!!!!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Beach-Sky-House/16044358

I can definitely build you a lagoon if you live on the ground contact me in world ^^

Edited by SorachaNicEoghain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SorachaNicEoghainThanks for your messages! That’s exactly what I’m talking about! I don’t see a demo version, but I might just go for it. It looks perfect!

I do have a ground-level plot on the ocean, in mainland. I’ve had it since 2005, lol. 4100m2, but thin, so it’s like 36x120 or something. I have water on two sides, including a west-facing border for sunsets. For years I’ve just had a basic dock there and not much else. I use it as an animation workshop. Not sure I want to pay to re-landscape it, but I’d certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts! Thanks. 🙂

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Thanks for your messages! That’s exactly what I’m talking about! I don’t see a demo version, but I might just go for it. It looks perfect!

The one you are talking about with the aquarium, I've seen it inworld and I loved the aquarium.   It was one of the build's at Da Vinci Gardens.  Da Vinci gardens has several builds there so I'm not sure if it is still there or not but you could look or ask.

https://secondlife.com/destination/1329

Edit adding:  The way Da Vinci gardens used to be set up is once you land there is a teleport board to one's right where one can teleport to many places.  So tp, move your avi a little out of the tp zone and then look for the teleport board.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

@SorachaNicEoghainThanks for your messages! That’s exactly what I’m talking about! I don’t see a demo version, but I might just go for it. It looks perfect!

I demo'd their other beach skybox in person. Not sure if the link still works or not, though, but you could try seeing if they still have an in-world store.

Yup...just tp'd there. It's still in-world. This TP link drops you right inside.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Urqhart/109/24/2228

Here's the tp for his other house:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Urqhart/111/28/1116

His marketplace store might have a few others. Worth a peek - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/13205

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Thanks, @EliseAnne85! I’ll check it out.

Well, now you can look at a demo since Ayashe found it.  Da Vinci Gardens, I just went there and there are several destinations at Da Vinci.  I looked at the tp board and could not remember which one had the aquarium.  That is a cool aquarium though. 

Adding:  I just looked at the building in the ad again and the store says by Felixx Shepherd, and that is the same person named on the Da Vinci Garden tp board.   So, yes, it probably is rezzed at Da Vinci Gardens somewhere.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Awesome! Off to look at @Ayashe Ninetails's SLURL now.

Edit: absolutely glorious! Especially the acquarium! Buying now!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I'm glad you found something you liked! 

I was sooo tempted to buy one myself when I first saw those a long time ago. They really are well made!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.