How to deal with Griefers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

If you are using Firestorm, and you are not photographing any objects that do not belong to you - go to World-Options-Show only my objects

In this case he could spend all week tossing stuff out and you'll never know the difference.

^^ this

in the OP case they are doing the photography on their own sky platform

How elaborate is this photo platform? I mean, can it all be linked together and then scripted to move to some random height on a random interval between, say, 20 minutes and an hour? Then, when you arrive on the parcel, the object offers you a teleport to its location which it keeps constant for that photo session. Or, as others have suggested, do your actual photography in some other clear sky location such as a sandbox — but a still keep the decoy platform moving up and down on your parcel.

The objective would be to keep the neighbor fully occupied with his harassment "project" in the false certainty he'll eventually "win" while causing only the absolute minimum inconvenience to yourself.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, Solar Legion said:

There are TPVs that allow you to derender/blacklist objects. Short of moving (you can file an AR if you wish, I do not know if LL will bother with something like this) ... a TPV with such an option may be your only option.

I use one myself for similar reasons (general removal of things in view from my skydome home on a PI).

This doesn't address the "blocks my sunlight" issue the OP has. Even if you derender something, it still casts shadows.

However, I have some Solutions!

• Use the Environment Editor to swing the sun position around in the sky.
  • Use artificial lights instead of relying on the SL sun.
  • Put your platform as close to the upper build limit of 4096 as the system will let you. Your nemesis won't be able to put their stuff above you. (This may introduce other drawbacks, though).
  • Move
  • Do your photography elsewhere. (Personally, this is what I'd do. A flat sky platform with a white wall around it is a terribly uninteresting place to take pictures, when there are so many beautiful places out there.)
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Even if you derender something, it still casts shadows.

TIL!

I thought of moving the platform up/down but, depending on if the OP has items "on" it or not, that can be problematic.

Guess I'd use one of my scene rezzers in the first place, then just change its height, and re-rez a camera setup onto it if needed.

Changing the sun position is an interesting solution!

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This doesn't address the "blocks my sunlight" issue the OP has. Even if you derender something, it still casts shadows.

However, I have some Solutions!

• Use the Environment Editor to swing the sun position around in the sky.
  • Use artificial lights instead of relying on the SL sun.
  • Put your platform as close to the upper build limit of 4096 as the system will let you. Your nemesis won't be able to put their stuff above you. (This may introduce other drawbacks, though).
  • Move
  • Do your photography elsewhere. (Personally, this is what I'd do. A flat sky platform with a white wall around it is a terribly uninteresting place to take pictures, when there are so many beautiful places out there.)

I have never had a derendered and blacklisted object continue to cast a shadow, especially after reloggong.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:36 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

This isn't even so much griefing as the kind of deep spite that some people develop that they maintain for years because they are unloved cranks.

I see this same behavior all over the forums here, as well. People whose only way of "touching" someone is to react to their posts will react to every post you make, if they think it annoys you. Fortunately, I lied about hating it when people who despise me add to my reputation. Suckers. XD

Finding out, or rather, being reminded, that Firestorm has the option of turning off everyone's objects but one's own, this little bit of golden goodness made  the whole thread worth reading, IMO. You can put your stuff out, set up for your photo shoot, wait until the neighbor starts his little song and dance of robotically rezzing things to make you upset, then turn all his stuff off, laugh at him, and enjoy your time inworld.

^-^

Oh, and on the subject of derendering/blacklisting objects, not exactly totally on topic, but I'll say it anyway. NUDISTS: if you get tired of people kicking you out of everywhere for being naked, and you just want that natural Second Lifestyle at all times, even at clubs, etc., consider the following.

You can derender your own attachments, others will still see them, and you will not. No need to go to "nudist" sims full of skeezy people who don't get it and treat them like pickup spots, no ban for walking on a public beach naked, and nobody would ever  even know but you.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.