Changing Username? Anything I should be aware of?

Bronsin Dakota

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Not many. If you have shopped at sites in world that key customer transactions to usernames rather than UUIDs, you may find that some functions (redelivery,  store credit, etc) will fail to recognize your new identity. For most people, that sort of thing is a minor annoyance but it could be frustrating if you're an avid shopper. You might run into the same problem with other scripted systems that weren't designed to recognize you by UUID. All in all,  though, those are small things. You may never encounter them at all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BronsonRedwood659 said:

I am a premium member and I've always wanted to change my user name to something more readable and closer to my display name .  Are there any risks I should be aware of ?

Will there be any issues with object ownership, or my linden land? 

Will I still be on my friends' lists ?

If you do any of the prize earning games like fishing or whatever the one is for coins (and maybe others), the owner of said game might charge a fee to change your name in their database, as that is not an LL owned thing.  We have seen some complaints about that.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:14 PM, BronsonRedwood659 said:

I am a premium member and I've always wanted to change my user name to something more readable and closer to my display name .  Are there any risks I should be aware of ?

Will there be any issues with object ownership, or my linden land? 

Will I still be on my friends' lists ?

I have changed names on a couple of avatars and I am yet to encounter a single issue, besides friends wondering who this new person is appearing on their list.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:54 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Not many. If you have shopped at sites in world that key customer transactions to usernames rather than UUIDs, you may find that some functions (redelivery,  store credit, etc) will fail to recognize your new identity. For most people, that sort of thing is a minor annoyance but it could be frustrating if you're an avid shopper. You might run into the same problem with other scripted systems that weren't designed to recognize you by UUID. All in all,  though, those are small things. You may never encounter them at all. 

That's great, thank you.   My issue was, my user name is on voting-competition boards in world, and its  spelt different t my display name, which might be confusing to peeps that want to  vote  for me.  And I want to keep my display name the way it is :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.