Question About Marketplace

AnastenBlue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am just curious about this.  I was browsing marketplace for clothing, under the category of Apparel.  When I click on Apparel I see on the left border Under Category, this...

Apparel

Children's 177885

Clothing Textures 18026

Men's 394850

Unisex 64744

Women's 2716565

That is ALOT of search results for any given category.  2716565 for women's alone.  Yet at the top of the search page, it says 1000 results.  And at the bottom of the search page where you click NEXT, it only goes to 50.

So I clicked on the last page, 50, to see if it was really the last page, and it was.  So i have to wonder where all of the search results have gone?

16 minutes ago, AnastenBlue said:

I am just curious about this.  I was browsing marketplace for clothing, under the category of Apparel.  When I click on Apparel I see on the left border Under Category, this...

Apparel

Children's 177885

Clothing Textures 18026

Men's 394850

Unisex 64744

Women's 2716565

That is ALOT of search results for any given category.  2716565 for women's alone.  Yet at the top of the search page, it says 1000 results.  And at the bottom of the search page where you click NEXT, it only goes to 50.

So I clicked on the last page, 50, to see if it was really the last page, and it was.  So i have to wonder where all of the search results have gone?

https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io/incidents/8k9zrtk0bq84

There are also a few forum posts in the Merchants section and Web section.

Edited by Rowan Amore

5 minutes ago, AnastenBlue said:

Women's 2716565

The MP doesn't show ALL the results, just the first 1000 or so, because, who has time to browse over 1000 items. Especially as many won't be relevant. Do you really want to see 15 yr old system avatar skirts, when searching for Maitreya fit mesh clothing?

5 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

The MP doesn't show ALL the results, just the first 1000 or so, because, who has time to browse over 1000 items. Especially as many won't be relevant. Do you really want to see 15 yr old system avatar skirts, when searching for Maitreya fit mesh clothing?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize the search would list older more antiquated items last and newer items first.  I will have to play around with it some more and see if i notice older items showing up in the first 50 pages.

Just now, AnastenBlue said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize the search would list older more antiquated items last and newer items first.  I will have to play around with it some more and see if i notice older items showing up in the first 50 pages.

It's a sort option right hand side, drop down box, relevance, newest , low price, high price... etc

A search for maitreya lingerie for example shows some 1.4 million items in the apparel category. That includes everything for maitreya AND everything for lingerie.

It used to say it found 1.4 million items, but people complained, so they 'FIXED IT' so it only shows the first 10,000

So now people complain about that

10 minutes ago, AnastenBlue said:

Ya, so I just did that.  Logged out, logged in, refreshed the shopping page and clicked on apparel.  What I am seeing looks like, mostly older antiquated things. Not at all like what I am used to seeing, i.e., usually you get pictures of gorgeous outfits mostly for mesh avatars, def. newer designs from the designers out there, but this... this is not that, not today on my screen.  It all looks like older stuff.

And thanks Rowan, I did click on that link, it does say that LL is aware of MP issues and is investigating.

Edited by AnastenBlue

1 minute ago, AnastenBlue said:

Ya, so I just did that.  Logged out, logged in, refreshed the shopping page and clicked on apparel.  What I am seeing looks like, mostly older antiquated things. Not at all like what I am used to seeing, i.e., usually you get pictures of gorgeous outfits mostly for mesh avatars, def. newer designs from the designers out there, but this... this is not that, not today on my screen.  It all looks like older stuff.

Default is 'relevance' which I have usually found to be useless.. It's also worth learning to use the boolean options.

Search box [ maitreya AND lingerie ] then search (now there's 127,000 hits) then tick the do not show demos or limited quantity and that drops to 95,000. Sort newest first, and the nice stuff appears.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AnastenBlue said:

They are working on it.  Linden Lab is aware of the issue.

"Investigating - We are aware of some issues that are currently impacting the Marketplace. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we work towards a resolution.
Feb 16, 2023 - 08:42 PST"

See "Marketplace Issues", currently at the top of the Status page:

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

From what has been posted on the other threads, using quotation marks (for now) gets actual results you want.  It's still showing the wrong items regardless of your search criteria such as relevancy, newest, etc.

Yeppers, I use the quotes all the time.  I wasn't wondering how to use the search, i was just wondering why the number of pages don't reflect the actual number of results.  Last time I used search before it was borked, i think i saw like 200 pages of results, so even before it was broken it was not showing all of the search results.  Leaving me wondering, what items  past that page limit that we don't get to see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnastenBlue said:

Yeppers, I use the quotes all the time.  I wasn't wondering how to use the search, i was just wondering why the number of pages don't reflect the actual number of results.  Last time I used search before it was borked, i think i saw like 200 pages of results, so even before it was broken it was not showing all of the search results.  Leaving me wondering, what items  past that page limit that we don't get to see.

If you can figure out what "relevant" means, then you can formulate a search query to find those old items.

I feel words have been abused.  Relevant results imply comprehension of the purpose of the query.  What one usually gets instead is ranking based upon click-throughs on previous presentation results of previous queries with the same keyword roots.  Guess what happens if the click-through history is expunged?  Do you fall back on a pure keyword search?  I'd like that to be a selectable option.  I generally don't care what others clicked on when I am trying to find ("this" AND "that") OR "the other thing" and the search engine decides I want to watch Gilligan's Island.  ("I promise you this, that and the other thing!")

30 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

If you can figure out what "relevant" means, then you can formulate a search query to find those old items.

I feel words have been abused.  Relevant results imply comprehension of the purpose of the query.  What one usually gets instead is ranking based upon click-throughs on previous presentation results of previous queries with the same keyword roots.  Guess what happens if the click-through history is expunged?  Do you fall back on a pure keyword search?  I'd like that to be a selectable option.  I generally don't care what others clicked on when I am trying to find ("this" AND "that") OR "the other thing" and the search engine decides I want to watch Gilligan's Island.  ("I promise you this, that and the other thing!")

Someday, adding AI to searches will fix all that! Mark my words!

1 hour ago, AnastenBlue said:

LL has said they'd be working on making MP a better shopping experience.  I'm just wondering if this is just a blip in their ongoing attempts to do so.  Since they haven't really updated the status report, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how it shakes out.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm just wondering if this is just a blimp in their ongoing attempts to do so. 

I agree 100%.

I bet you mean "blip", but it sure "blew up" like a "blimp"!

Floats like a "lead Zeppelin", too.

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

They are "shaking their moneymaker" a bit too hard. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Zalificent said:

Search box [ maitreya AND lingerie ] then search (now there's 127,000 hits) then tick the do not show demos or limited quantity and that drops to 95,000. Sort newest first, and the nice stuff appears.

Alternatively, search 'Maitreya AND lingerie' and set the price limit from L$0-L$0, so you only see demos (no need to flip through 4 pages of single colour listings only to arrive at another 4 pages of single colour listings) - and occasionally you'll find something that isn't a demo, but a freebie! 

Only downside is a fair few people make the vendor pictures for demos grey or put a large DEMO text across it so you barely see the item. And, you know, you miss out on all those people who don't provide demos or charge you a buck for them. Wait, that's a good thing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.