Webcam chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are asking if it is possible to build a viewer with the ability, yes. However, I doubt anyone will build such a feature.

If you are asking if you can run Zoom or Jit.si from within the viewer, no. The viewer is likely going to insulate those apps from your computer. They will be lost trying to find your camera and screen. SL servers running the apps would see them try to use the camera and mic on the server...

You might get the apps to run on a prim using the MOAP feature. However, whoever you want to connect with in SL would have to have a copy of the prim. And the previous problems of finding camera, mic, and screen may exist in that scenario too.

So ... basically no. You could run the app outside the viewer and pass a link within chat. This is what most people do now.

A good percentage of people in SL refuse to use voice chat. I am certain they would avoid video too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If you are asking if it is possible to build a viewer with the ability, yes. However, I doubt anyone will build such a feature.

If you are asking if you can run Zoom or Jit.si from within the viewer, no. The viewer is likely going to insulate those apps from your computer. They will be lost trying to find your camera and screen. SL servers running the apps would see them try to use the camera and mic on the server...

You might get the apps to run on a prim using the MOAP feature. However, whoever you want to connect with in SL would have to have a copy of the prim. And the previous problems of finding camera, mic, and screen may exist in that scenario too.

So ... basically no. You could run the app outside the viewer and pass a link within chat. This is what most people do now.

A good percentage of people in SL refuse to use voice chat. I am certain they would avoid video too.

I interpreted the question to be, "webcam chat" within the viewer, "supported" by the viewer. Meaning, a "viewer feature".

I like your interpretation!

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Webcam chat of your avatar or r/l?

There is an interesting question...

If the feature were built in then it would be possible to add a second viewer camera as the 'webcam' and render the world for it. If you have ever run multiple copies of the viewer you'll understand what that does to performance, which is VERY dependent on your computer so ranging from horrible to negligible impact.

It would be fun to be able to use the viewer as a webcam. Meaning you could tell Zoom or Jit.si to use the viewer as a camera for a meeting. It would use the viewer's render as the camera image. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nalates Urriah said:
14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Webcam chat of your avatar or r/l?

There is an interesting question...

If the feature were built in then it would be possible to add a second viewer camera as the 'webcam' and render the world for it. If you have ever run multiple copies of the viewer you'll understand what that does to performance, which is VERY dependent on your computer so ranging from horrible to negligible impact.

It would be fun to be able to use the viewer as a webcam. Meaning you could tell Zoom or Jit.si to use the viewer as a camera for a meeting. It would use the viewer's render as the camera image. 

Or..just render the avatar you are talking with on the "webcam"! (As if they are in front of you, not in some remote location..)

That would be interesting.

Then we could have "Avatar Zoomish calls" with Brady Bunch style squares, etc.!

• Like 1

I opened a JIRA feature request. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-233353 - Viewer as Webcam - The idea being Zoom, or whichever, would see the viewer as a webcam and use the scene we normally see as a feed into Zoom. I can think of several fun ways to use that in a Zoom meeting.

@Love Zhaoying if I understand, you are thinking of the avatar appearing as super imposed on your Zoom's webcam feed? That would require some programing on the Zoom side of things. So, I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Love Zhaoying if I understand, you are thinking of the avatar appearing as super imposed on your Zoom's webcam feed? That would require some programing on the Zoom side of things. So, I doubt that will happen.

No - imagine a "chat window" within the Viewer, when you are chatting with another avatar in Private or Group chat - that shows the other avatar with their current running animations.

Just another "view" of the person you are talking to, even though they are not necessarily present near you currently.

Could be "awkward" if they are umm.."busy"! ("What's that animation you are running?")

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes! It is possible or not possible!

I think more likely, it is "not possible".  More accurately, "not likely" due to the general requirements of adding a video live stream chat.

Schrodingers Webcam-Chat (⁠ノ⁠*⁠0⁠*⁠)⁠ノ

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Was that a *snort* laugh? Nerd!!!

You bet! XP It's 6am...I haven't slept since yesterday morning 2 am and spent all dem 28 hours night and day shifting ( many sick colleagues) at the pediatric oncology for children...sometimes nerdy snorts is all that keeps me going. (⁠⊙⁠_⁠◎⁠) 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.