What about the "previous location" I teleported FROM ?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I teleport to a destination, wander around for a while, teleport to another destination, then want to go back to where I was before I teleported. The viewer address bar arrow button for "Go back to previous location" takes me back to the previous destination I teleported to, but not the location from which I teleported after wandering around.

It would be a quick project to script a tiny HUD that would get close enough, using trivial resources, although a viewer feature could be slightly more efficient, and maybe integrate intuitively with existing controls.

But am I the only one who often (usually?) wants to get back to that "from" location? Or do viewers already do this and I'm just doing it wrong?

• Like 1

There's the Teleport History tab in the Places floater you might try. In Firestorm Alt+H brings it up directly.

Edit: actually, Alt+H brings up a stand-alone Teleport History floater, independent from the tab in the Places floater.

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 1

Β  Β There is the feature to get a system message in nearby chat when you teleport ..

Β  Β "[02:49:46] Second Life: Teleport completed from <SLURL to point of origin>
You are now at <Destination>"

Β  Β But if there's a lot of chat noise it may be annoying to track down that message.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I teleport to a destination, wander around for a while, teleport to another destination, then want to go back to where I was before I teleported. The viewer address bar arrow button for "Go back to previous location" takes me back to the previous destination I teleported to, but not the location from which I teleported after wandering around.

It would be a quick project to script a tiny HUD that would get close enough, using trivial resources, although a viewer feature could be slightly more efficient, and maybe integrate intuitively with existing controls.

But am I the only one who often (usually?) wants to get back to that "from" location? Or do viewers already do this and I'm just doing it wrong?

The viewer must obey parcel teleport routing. So even if you know the last coordinates, there are no promises the viewer could put you right back there.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The viewer must obey parcel teleport routing. So even if you know the last coordinates, there are no promises the viewer could put you right back there.

That's true, but it restores the beacon for where you were trying to teleport. In fact, that's something I'd like to preserve of the "teleport to" history, too, as well as the proposed "teleport from" history:

(Regardless of the teleport history thing, after teleporting to a visitor-hostile teleport routing site, I often find myself nowhere near where I'm trying to get, but that beacon at least gives me a target where I can move my cam, and very possibly find a sit target somewhere nearby.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

the Teleport History tab

Unless I'm missing something, this is the same "teleport to" history navigated by the address bar arrow keys, right?

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β There is the feature to get a system message in nearby chat when you teleport ..

Β  Β "[02:49:46] Second Life: Teleport completed from <SLURL to point of origin>
You are now at <Destination>"

Β  Β But if there's a lot of chat noise it may be annoying to track down that message.

Thanks, that's a big clue. It seems to be a Firestorm-only feature, activated by Preferences / Move & View / Teleports / "Report the SLURL of the region you completed a teleport from", which I'm not finding in the Linden viewer nor Catznip. So at least somebody was interested in the information, and that viewer made it available, although as you say, the navigation is kind of cumbersome compared to the arrow keys. On the other hand, it gives a handy context menu to see other options for that teleport-from location, besides just teleporting back, so maybe that obviates the need for a scripted HUD (except for the Firestorm-challenged among us).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Β  Β True, but I don't think it's an issue of teleport routing within parcels - it's more an issue of, if I teleport to position A, then walk/drive/fly/otherwise-navigate-through-the-3D-space to position B, then teleport anywhere - I don't have position B in my teleport history, as my last teleport wasΒ toΒ position A. Especially if you've moved through several regions, you may well be more interested in finding your way back to position B; for which there's currently no history.

Β  Β For example: You accidentally teleport home/accept a TP from someone after 20 regions of sailing, your last teleport history position is going to be where you teleported to to start sailing, not of where your last location before the teleport was - so unless you kept track of where you were on the map throughout, you'll have to start over.

Β  Β .. But then, 20 regions is a rather short trip - if you set out to make your way from Nautilus to Jeogeot (a pretty standard long-distance flight), losing your footing 'somewhere over Belli' can put a bit of a damper on the whole thing.

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I've put it in our JIRA for catznip .. in the interim, how should the information be presented etc etcΒ  /?

Β  Β I'm thinking the easiest and most accessible approach might be to have a fourth tab in your Places interface which lists the SLURLs of the positions you've teleported from. I'm not sure of how it looks in Catznip, but in FS we've got this:

adfd80a426163d1ab2ffdd6603c481ea.png

Β  Β You'd still easily access it via the same command (Alt + H), and I quite like how it's presented; it's easy to browse and gives you a good chronological overview of where you've gone to.

• Like 1

I have to admit, before today I never consciously opened the Places window in any viewer, instead getting the Landmarks and Favorites info directly from Inventory and only navigating the teleport history from the arrow keys on the nav bar. So for me, it would have remained undiscovered in the Teleport History tab of Places, until today. (Places is accessed from the World menu on Firestorm, from "Me" in Catznip and the Linden viewer.) That's just me, though, and now that I see the multi-day Teleport History list, I see the utility, so probably it is the right place for this; maybe simply a separate "from" entry for each teleport where it differs from wherever the original arrival point was.

Because I was thinking about a HUD, I was also thinking of merging in some of my cam history hackery, so there'd be an option to put the scripted cam back at the location and focus where it was last recorded before teleport. This might be useful for those teleport-routed parcels (or useful in general), but maybe that's asking for trouble in a viewer, if folks don't want their cam messed-with like that. I really have no intuition about what viewer behaviors folks would accept.

[ETA: Because I never used the Places window, I'd originally envisioned simply adding to the items available from the nav bar arrow buttons. I think that would still make sense whether or not the "from" locations also get added to Places / Teleport History. I guess it would be most intuitive if both interfaces continue to have the same entries as each other.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.