how do i track my friend from the dashboard instead of going inworld?

Yammy Docherty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

my friend has given me map tracking rights so how do i track them from the dashboard instead of going inworld..i was told if u hold your cursor over their name it tells you but i cannot get that to happen only a box popping up saying "visit them inworld" which i do not wish to do.

5 answers to this question

My suspicious mind wants to know why in the world would you want to do that in the first place?  If it were possible for people to track people from the dashboard (even if the person being tracked has given you permission) then that's a big, wide open door to possible griefing.  We have enough of that going on with the limitation of only being able to track someone when online.

If you are trying to avoid someone, remove their ability to "map" you, take them off your friends list, mute.  If just want to come online when someone is at a specific place in SL then I don't know what to tell you........and I'm sure LL would rather you log in to find out.  You can already tell if someone is online via the dashboard.  That would seem, to me, to be enough.

• Like 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on 06-18-201103:56 PM

Don't look at the hovertip, but what URL should be opened. In case you can't find it, right-click on your friend's name, copy the link address and copy it into a text editor. It will be in the form "secondlife://<Region name>/x/y".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that is true (I've never tried it) then you just told ever stalker who happens to read this thread how to stalk someone from their dashboard. 

Yammy Docherty wrote:

my friend has given me map tracking rights so how do i track them from the dashboard instead of going inworld..i was told if u hold your cursor over their name it tells you but i cannot get that to happen only a box popping up saying "visit them inworld" which i do not wish to do.

Haven't you answered your own question here? The box that pops up saying "visit them inworld" gives you the SLurl, which tells you the name of the sim. For example  http://slurl.com/secondlife/Milu/152/121/209 tells you the location is Milu sim, and the XYZ is 152,121,209. 

What else were you expecting outside of SL? Something like Google map view? Or CCTV? I'm just rather curious how much information you would want on this friend who has allowed you to have mapping rights. Surely if you were that interested in their whereabouts, you would be logged in and talking to them?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.