Second Life Viewer: Can't launch on Fedora Linux 36

adhdluke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I figured I'd get into Second Life, but I can't launch the client.
When I run the executable, I get this output: https://pastebin.com/T2DreBmC
I don't really know what to do here, as multilib support on Fedora is really weird, and I can't find any relevant posts online to this specific issue.

I am running Fedora 36 Gnome with wayland, intel CPU and nvidia graphics.

Well apart from some issue that I cannot address since I know next to nothing about any of the Linux distros, one thing I know for sure is that that version of the viewer is hopelessly outdated, version 5.0.9 I believe and the current Windows version is 6.6.8!  So even if you could log in it would be unlikely to render SL properly.  Linden Lab stopped developing a Linux version of their viewer ages ago.

Try the current Linux Firestorm Viewer, that one is current.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Well apart from some issue that I cannot address since I know next to nothing about any of the Linux distros, one thing I know for sure is that that version of the viewer is hopelessly outdated, version 5.0.9 I believe and the current Windows version is 6.6.8!  So even if you could log in it would be unlikely to render SL properly.  Linden Lab stopped developing a Linux version of their viewer ages ago.

Try the current Linux Firestorm Viewer, that one is current.

I have just tried this and got the exact same error. https://pastebin.com/Tke33sUa

Am I missing libraries?

1 hour ago, adhdluke said:

I have just tried this and got the exact same error. https://pastebin.com/Tke33sUa

Am I missing libraries?

Looks like you're missing libGLU.so.1

Current version of libGLU is libGLU.so.3

I run Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, and it has libGLU.so.1, (also 2 and 3), but maybe Fedora dropped the old versions.

Search for

"libglu.so.1" "fedora"

for help. This seems to be a known problem with other 3D software.

On, Linux, current Firestorm is fine. If you have to run the Linden viewer, install Wine7 or greater and run it in Windows emulation. That works, with some strangeness about arrow key responsiveness.

• Like 1

I would be more strident on this. That version of Second Life viewer should not be run, at all, ever. It is sad that it remains listed and available for download on the Linden Lab website as it gives a very poor impression of Second Life at a time when more Linux users are potentially appearing (I see a small but growing number running Firestorm on Steam Decks). I would consider it an unsafe download given the ancient SSL and CEF libraries, not to mention the fact that it lacks support for a number of core features that are central to a modern Second Life experience.

Just for those of you who think that Linux is no longer listed on the downloads page...that's because you are not running Linux. This is what you would see if you visited Secondlife.com on a SteamDeck or any other Linux-based device, looking to join up. 

e01415878184bb101b2efe046d50e0bd.jpg

It would be worth shouting out @Vir Linden, Signal Linden and @Monty Linden and @Alexa Linden. While I accept that the effort to restore upstream (i.e. Linden Lab) support for Linux would probably not see a clear commercial return, (I think that there are indirect returns on the investment, through automation potential, etc.); it would be cheap (practically free really) to at the very least have the downloads page changed to reflect the realistic case that while LL do not directly support Linux, it is a platform that they recognise as being used by their customers and affirming that Linux users are fully supported by a number of actively developed TPVs such as Firestorm, CoolVL, Alchemy etc. The present state simply misleads these users into downloading a decrepit ancient viewer that then breaks and actively discourages them. Another lost customer that did not need to be lost.

Edited by Beq Janus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, adhdluke said:

Am I missing libraries?

Yes

On ubuntu (and probably debian and its clones) that library is part of the libglu1-mesa package. On Fedora it likely has another name, try something like

dnf provides libGLU.so.1

It should tell you what package you need to install.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.