is it true?

Imee Kenin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I heard from friends that all secondary viewers except Firestorm are being ban by LL.. Is this true? I just started playing w/ the singularity viewer and love it cuz its causes me less lag. It would suck if I had to go to Firestorm or V2 because I hate both viewers. I tried Firestorm because its by phoenix and as soon as I saw it was just like V2 I uninstalled it. :/

I have not heard any news stating that.

My knowledge on Viewer development is limited but I do know that LL has a Policy or check list for which Viewers must comply. In a past Viewer Policy change LL wanted Viewer Developers to close some security loop holes. Some Developers thought it was unnecessary to rewrite their entire Viewer to conform to standards that are still in development. (nobody has the perfect system).

If a Viewer is not Included, this could be a reason why. Check the with the Viewer Developer you prefer, they will have the most up to date information.

Your friends are either ingenious hoaxers or labouring under a massive misapprehension.

LL is certainly not banning Singularity, or any other legitimate TPV.   What they are doing, and this may have lead to your friends' confusion, is developing the SL server code with V2-based viewers in mind, and if this breaks functionality in V1-based viewers, like Phoenix or Singularity, then it's up to the the developers of the TPV to patch their viewers to accommodate the new code.

More and more rumours about LL making v1 based viewers blocked way or another. 3rd party developers can ofcourse update their clients to continue working without adding the v2 iDiot UI. But 1.23 and snowglobe will prolly stop workign in near future. This is a rumour. Will see.

So... Maybe soon i get forced to switch from snowglobe to v2. I guess there is some web page with instructions on how to enable the things in v2 that im used to use in v1. Gimme links to the pages TY.

IMHO the latest release of Firestorm which is called the public beta is really good. It has all the features from the V1 style viewer that "most" hardcore users would call good, and if you are needing things beyond that that the V1 viewer had in it I would think that you are good enough to be able to work with the code to get it to do what you want anyway, it's open source after all for you to do with as you wish as long as it has the things LL is requiring to be an official TPV.

your friend is just trying to scare you so you get the idea that Linden Lab is evil, to have you by his/her side in his/her plan to turn people against Linden Lab.

be careful with those people, have your own review, as we saw, they can lie easy.

their plan to form a rebellion against Linden Lab does not lead to a good end, they are not going to defeat Linden Lab and get it out of Second Life where the rebels are going to stay celebrating victory. it just gives you suffering and unending hate against the persons that bring us this world, against a presence that will always be there, and thats emotionally unhealthy.

some signs that you are with that kind of people are:

• they will tell you all kinds of negative things against Viewer 2, some very vague, so you dont use it.

• they will say negative things about any decision by Linden Lab, so you dont start appreciating.

• when Linden Lab gives a choice to do something, they will turn it around and give the appearance that Linden Lab is forcing people to do it, to keep the image of Linden Lab as evil.

Imee Kenin wrote:

I heard from friends that all secondary viewers except Firestorm are being ban by LL.. Is this true? I just started playing w/ the singularity viewer and love it cuz its causes me less lag. It would suck if I had to go to Firestorm or V2 because I hate both viewers. I tried Firestorm because its by phoenix and as soon as I saw it was just like V2 I uninstalled it.
:/

It is totally false. Any viewer that keeps up to date and stays compatible with SL will still be alllowed, if it follows the TPV rules. Any viewer will eventually lose users if it does not keep up with grid evolution, because it won't show all the content. LL won't need to ban unmaintained viewers as long as they are not doing anything harmful, they will slowly die off from disuse when the compatibility is not there.

It will be easier for V2 based TPVs to stay relevant because LL is writing the compatibility part for them. For TPVs based on 1.x, their maintainers have to adapt the V2 code or write their opwn replacements, so it is more work for them. Cool VL Viewer's maintainer is working very hard to keep 1.x viable, and I think he might succeed.  Other TPVs like Restrained Love, Kirsten's, Dolphin, Imprudence/Kokua already have V2 editions and should find it easier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.