Best Days In Second Life

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

This time of year the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest.
Seekers, come NOW!
You will be blessed!

○☆ ° .* ☆ Alai Alai Alai ☆ ¸. ° ★☾❊ 

https://i.gyazo.com/c7fba655e9175f1687180e6ddefc3941.mp4

Hmm, wonder if that explains why over the years it has often been from late October to late November that the most challenging things tended to happen in my life.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting anecdote that you might not know. You've heard the phrase "a year and a day", right?  Well, it doesn't actually mean a whole year plus a day. It just means a year, because that extra day is Samhain/All Hallows Eve, which was considered to be not actually part of the year.

And now it's almost Yule - where did all the time go?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

We actually have leap years to account for that extra day, at least in the US.

The US uses the Gregorian calendar, which was introduced by the pope (Gregor XIII) in 1582, which is, with a few exceptions (and adjustments), the 'global' calendar today. The US doesn't have 'it's own' calendar, and leap years aren't exclusive to the US (we'd all go out of sync if we decided on leap years and leap seconds individually, it's why we have UTC and institutions like BIPM).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:
6 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

We actually have leap years to account for that extra day, at least in the US.

The US uses the Gregorian calendar, which was introduced by the pope (Gregor XIII) in 1582, which is, with a few exceptions (and adjustments), the 'global' calendar today. The US doesn't have 'it's own' calendar, and leap years aren't exclusive to the US (we'd all go out of sync if we decided on leap years and leap seconds individually, it's why we have UTC and institutions like BIPM).

I was trying to remember which animal is categorized in groups called "leaps". 

DUH, Leopards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

The calendar most in use is the Roman Solar calendar which I never knew went by the name above.  The Lunar calendar still determines many holidays and celebrations.  Chinese and Jewish New Year's are determined by the Lunar calendar and those New Year Day's are different from the Solar calendar's New Year's Day.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I never looked up who started it and when.  I guess I  was just never impressed enough to do so.

57 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm not familiar with all the varied holidays around the world.

And yet, here you are trying to tell someone who did, was, and does. 

Israel and China both officially use the Gregorian calendar (see, it's called that; not 'the Roman Solar calendar') - as does India, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia despite having had their own calendars in the past. 

Holidays are religious feast, and that some are based on 'the first new moon after vernal equinox' and suchlike does not change the calendar

The US observing its national day on the 4th of July and Norway observing its on the 17th of May doesn't mean they use different calendars, they are both using the Gregorian calendars.

The Brits calling it 'January' and the Spanish calling it 'Enero' doesn't mean they have different calendars, it means they use different languages to refer to the exact same system of tracking time. Exactly like how 'plus' and 'Плюс' both means [to]add(ing) under the same mathematical systems.

So, why did the October Revolution occur in November? Because therefinally, we have an example of Russia's late use of the Julian calendar (introduced in 45BC); however even they have since embraced the Gregorian calendar, so that you can rest assured that your mail order brides don't end up starving in a post office because you expected delivery some two weeks later.

There are very few countries in the world today that don't use the Gregorian calendar (almost as few as how many still uses the Imperial system), but unless you're to attend a conference in Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Nepal, or Iran, you probably won't ever notice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Thanks, I did not know how the rest of the world operates. I know some places times are off by half hours, 45 minutes, and so on, wasn't sure how years worked. So basically, the US does have it's own calendar and the rest rest of the world follows along? Who is the deciding time keeper? Greenwich? The Swiss? Genuinely curious now, I'll go Google since this is dangerously not SL although it is relevant cause we all live in different time zones. It's how I found out my best friend lives in tomorrow relative to me. Wild.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I know some places times are off by half hours, 45 minutes, and so on, wasn't sure how years worked. So basically, the US does have it's own calendar and the rest rest of the world follows along? Who is the deciding time keeper? Greenwich? The Swiss?

Well, seeing as how large a part time zones have in SL's everyday life ..

No. The reason places are off by a few hours are because of the time zones, which are roughly based on which part of the planet is currently facing the sun. 

expanded-world-time-zone-map-longitude.g

GMT was introduced as a means to coordinate and standardise time, specifically in Britain as trains made it weird that you left London at 11.00 and arrived in Bristol at 11.30, after a 45 minute journey (and promptly had to set your pocket watch to the local train station upon arrival). The world was getting faster, and using local time became inconvenient (although there still are places, especially old train stations, that have two minute hands on their clocks to display both local and standard time - in fact, there always is a local time, but most people go through life without ever knowing what time they're 'actually' in). 

The UTC, which succeeded GMT, is governed by BIPM (Bureau international des poids et mesures - or 'The International Bureau of Weights and Measures'). They're the ones who tell us what years we do leap seconds (and making themselves obsolete in that specific regard as the current system aims to get rid of leap seconds by 2035). And by 'they' and 'us' I really mean 'we', as it's an intergovernmental organisation with 59 member states. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:
1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm not familiar with all the varied holidays around the world.

And yet, here you are trying to tell someone who did, was, and does.

You weren't talking about holidays?  Your post mentioned leap year.  

And, I wasn't trying to tell you anything.  I was elaborating that there are two main calendars - one is the Solar (much of the modern world has now adapted to and for business purposes mostly) and one is the Lunar which determines certain people's new years and holidays.

It seemed like it was turning into a fun fact thread.  

So, I was elaborating about the calendar you spoke of, not telling Y-O-U in particular, anything.  

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Well, seeing as how large a part time zones have in SL's everyday life ..

No. The reason places are off by a few hours are because of the time zones, which are roughly based on which part of the planet is currently facing the sun. 

expanded-world-time-zone-map-longitude.g

GMT was introduced as a means to coordinate and standardise time, specifically in Britain as trains made it weird that you left London at 11.00 and arrived in Bristol at 11.30, after a 45 minute journey (and promptly had to set your pocket watch to the local train station upon arrival). The world was getting faster, and using local time became inconvenient (although there still are places, especially old train stations, that have two minute hands on their clocks to display both local and standard time - in fact, there always is a local time, but most people go through life without ever knowing what time they're 'actually' in). 

The UTC, which succeeded GMT, is governed by BIPM (Bureau international des poids et mesures - or 'The International Bureau of Weights and Measures'). They're the ones who tell us what years we do leap seconds (and making themselves obsolete in that specific regard as the current system aims to get rid of leap seconds by 2035). And by 'they' and 'us' I really mean 'we', as it's an intergovernmental organisation with 59 member states. 

That is all so interesting, also the world looks huge. We have leap seconds? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.