Renting procedure?

Dodgeman DeCuir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

This is my 1st message to this forum, and first i would like to present myself to the community.

I started Second life in 2007 and been around since then most of the time with couple breaks.

With my partners we love to decorate, be creative and capture our SL moments.  

I spent most of my time as a basic account and recently decided to update as a premium plus.

So here i come with a few projects in mind, being interested in something totally new to me that is about buying and/or renting.

I guess the subject has been raised already many times and that this is just another recurrent topic to add to the long list of this forum.

So i ll make it short and straight to the point.

How do you rent a parcel? do you need rental system and any recommend in 2022 renting systems?

What are the golden rules for renting?

About building and renting.... is it better to build and decorate something to start with for the renter and then leave prims left?

Or do you leave full prims for the renter to do as he please?

Are there website related to Second life to post a rental offer and how do you post it?

I am sure i have many more questions, but i believe with the few i left here, there might be already a good chunk of tips & advices & tutorials to share.

I thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Regards.

Dodge 

2 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Hi there, 

This might help guide you along,  even myself from 2007 has never had much experience with renting outside of private sims, so I also am going to be reading that :)

Hello Bigmoe,

And thank you for your answer. I Actually read that page already and i believe i am now good for the part of Buying land, the part that is much more confuse to me is the Renting land.

But once again, thanks for the ressource.

Dodge.

1 hour ago, Dodgeman DeCuir said:

I spent most of my time as a basic account and recently decided to update as a premium plus.

Ut oh.

If your intention is to be a mainland landlord, the economics of tier pricing suggests that you need to own at least a half-region but ideally a full region, as only then does the cost per sqm of tier get favorable. I have posted spreadsheets and graphs about this.

If your intention is to use the 2048 included tier of premium plus for your rental property, it would have been less expensive to have TWO premium accounts (on annual memberships).

Premium Plus did nothing for you as a landlord. It is optimized for those who want to live in a specific Linden Home or need tons of groups and media uploads  (or someday, 2048 Linden Home).

If you are doing all this for fun, it don't matter. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgeman DeCuir said:

About building and renting.... is it better to build and decorate something to start with for the renter and then leave prims left?

There is no golden rule about this.  Quite a few people (men usually) prefer to rent a fully furnished place.  I like choosing my house and decorating it myself so I'd never even look at a ready to move in rental.  

Look at the mainland rentals section of the forums and see what and how people rent out mainland...

Mainland - Second Life Community

39 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Ut oh.

If your intention is to be a mainland landlord, the economics of tier pricing suggests that you need to own at least a half-region but ideally a full region, as only then does the cost per sqm of tier get favorable. I have posted spreadsheets and graphs about this.

If your intention is to use the 2048 included tier of premium plus for your rental property, it would have been less expensive to have TWO premium accounts (on annual memberships).

Premium Plus did nothing for you as a landlord. It is optimized for those who want to live in a specific Linden Home or need tons of groups and media uploads  (or someday, 2048 Linden Home).

If you are doing all this for fun, it don't matter. 🙂

Well, to be honest, nothing is planned, i took premium for 1st the 2048 free sqm and then maybe to look after lands and learns about landlord, but as of now, i knows nothing about how to build establish a rental system on a parcel, and present if for renting, this is mainly why i posted in here.

Thank you for enlighten me about the different options existing and apparently i choose one that is not at my advantage apparently, but well, i guess this is how you learn. 

41 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is no golden rule about this.  Quite a few people (men usually) prefer to rent a fully furnished place.  I like choosing my house and decorating it myself so I'd never even look at a ready to move in rental.  

Look at the mainland rentals section of the forums and see what and how people rent out mainland...

Mainland - Second Life Community

thank you for giving your vision of renting a parcel, i guess it is changing from one person to another and it is interesting to read your way of seeing the things.

As for the community forum, i am digging through it, there is quite a bit to read and i would have hoped someone would direct me straight to some ressources, or advise me about rental systems, which one the most efficient, where to find it, etc.... But thanks for answering to my call.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i get the impression you mean rent out, and not renting. 
If you have only a few parcels, you could do it manual, but when getting bigger it's much easier to have a system. Look for those at other rental companies, or MP.

hmmm i believe this is it, i probably used the wrong term, no native being sometimes difficult.

Yes, this is what i m looking for, info about how to rent OUT. 

I will follow your advice in hope that it won't be seen negatively if i am asking about how to do to someone that the business it to do it....

3 hours ago, Dodgeman DeCuir said:

How do you rent a parcel? do you need rental system and any recommend in 2022 renting systems?

Casperlet is widely used and has great support, so I'd recommend looking into that. It's made by an SL firm called Caspertech.

The only golden rule would be for you to have an automated system that instantly invites a new tenant to the rental group so they can begin to rez things. Nothing is worse than renting a mainland plot and having to wait for the owner to come online to give rez rights.

Try both and see what works for you. Though if you do decide to offer pre landscaped and furnished parcels make sure it's top notch high quality everything or it's not likely to get rented.

Are there website related to Second life to post a rental offer and how do you post it?

You can do that here in the forums in the appropiate section. Serious landlords also have their own website with land listings.

Edited by So Whimsy

25 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Casperlet is widely used and has great support, so I'd recommend looking into that. It's made by an SL firm called Caspertech.

The only golden rule would be for you to have an automated system that instantly invites a new tenant to the rental group so they can begin to rez things. Nothing is worse than renting a mainland plot and having to wait for the owner to come online to give rez rights.

Try both and see what works for you. Though if you do decide to offer pre landscaped and furnished parcels make sure it's top notch high quality everything or it's not likely to get rented.

You can do that here in the forums in the appropiate section. Serious landlords also have their own website with land listings.

So Whimsy, thank you very much.

Straight to the point, i will investigate the leads you gave me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.