Ad Farming Persists

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Could not this Spangle situation be addressed by the parcel owner?

Sure, but what if they don't? And they won't. This isn't the only debris on the parcel from years of zero auto-return, so we're not talking about beautifying the Mainland here, merely removing content that's intentionally blatantly racist and obviously intended solely to harass.

(The griefer objects are also physical—so add a little lag off the very top of the simulation frame—but unfortunately the parcel is set No Pushing so I can't just shove the whole mess into the adjacent Linden water and wait for the Governor's auto-return to tidy up.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
"to"… "to"
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sure, but what if they don't? And they won't. This isn't the only debris on the parcel from years of zero auto-return, so we're not talking about beautifying the Mainland here, merely removing content that's intentionally blatantly racist and obviously intended solely to harass.

(The griefer objects are also physical—so add a little lag off the very top of the simulation frame—but unfortunately the parcel is set No Pushing so I can't just shove the whole mess into the adjacent Linden water and wait for the Governor's auto-return to tidy up.)

I thought no pushing refers to avatars, not objects, and you can't push objects onto LL land anyway, entry will be blocked, they will hang up on the property line. I think you you can only ride an object into Linden land

19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I thought no pushing refers to avatars, not objects, and you can't push objects onto LL land anyway, entry will be blocked, they will hang up on the property line. I think you you can only ride an object into Linden land

Abandoned land is mostly no-object-entry, but old Mainland protected roads, rails, and water allow object entry ( "old Mainland" because Zindra protected land mostly bars object entry, as does Bellisseria).

I'm not actually sure about no-pushing. I had given it a very cursory try with an old script and couldn't get any of these things to budge, but it wasn't a proper test at all and could have been using an broken version of the script. I may try again later, just for kicks. (It's not a real solution because, as usual, not all the griefer objects remain physical.)

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Abandoned land is mostly no-object-entry, but old Mainland protected roads, rails, and water allow object entry ( "old Mainland" because Zindra protected land mostly bars object entry, as does Bellisseria).

I'm not actually sure about no-pushing. I had given it a very cursory try with an old script and couldn't get any of these things to budge, but it wasn't a proper test at all and could have been using an broken version of the script. I may try again later, just for kicks. (It's not a real solution because, as usual, not all the griefer objects remain physical.)

did you message the land owner? I did.

2 hours ago, belindacarson said:

did you message the land owner? I did.

Well, the last time he was in-world was three years ago (March 31, 2020), so I'm not super optimistic he'll get your message.

It's a big parcel, and another with the same owner (as individual instead of group), totaling over half the region, so assuming he's paying tier, he can run it as a never-return sandbox; that's between him and the Lab. The problem isn't how rancid and laggy the rest of the parcel's content, it's that this particular griefing stuff is—and has always been considered to be—unacceptable anywhere on the grid. It sure ain't gonna win any new mobile viewer customers so the Lab better be figuring out how to vaporize junk like this expeditiously if they intend to improve retention. (Spangle isn't the sleepiest sim on Heterocera; it has a rail terminal, long waterfront, and a Linden Road, so folks pass through now and then.)

I'll Concierge chat eventually, but I'm kind of wondering how long Governance's standard practice will fail on this one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I thought no pushing refers to avatars

Can't tell from the Knowledge Base: "No Pushing - If checked, prevents scripts from pushing. Checking this option is useful for preventing disruptive behavior on your land." An old wiki article isn't much more help: "No Pushing - If checked, then pushes from objects is disabled. Pushing another avatar is often used to annoy them, and most regions have turned on this item to prevent it." (That specifies the pushing is from objects, but also mentions "another avatar" as a push target.)

So, a little more sloppy testing: My old push script on "no pushing" Linden land managed to push my own physical objects but not my alt's. so unless I did something wrong, "no pushing" applies to another owner's object targets as well as to avatar targets. Also, as expected, I could push my own objects off my parcel into Linden protected, object-entry-enabled water but not the neighbor's no-entry land.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:36 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Try a spell HUD, I have one somewhere that causes an explosion around me and pushes all physical objects if you can rez the expanding circle of fire. That may let you stand in the middle of the mess and blast it all off into somewhere that *does* return objects.

I've not set my lands to auto-return, but I have various people who are allowed to build here, so I just check the object list and return objects that should not be here and ban if they are repeat rezzes or something ridiculoous like the 500 LI skybox that showed up over the square once.

• Like 1

I do know people who maintain small parcels that use them for roads, to supplement the woefully inadequate Linden Road network, connecting player cities and RP areas to the Linden Roads. So not all uses of small parcels are malicious or spammy, some are beneficial to the community as a whole, but with them "lowering the bar" on land ownership there has been a LOT of new spam all at once as soon as Plus became a thing.

I did get the giant rotating glwing particle spewing sign in from on my home returned, but they put up a "tower" in its place, still fullbright and with their hideously bad pyramid scheme land baron "retal agent" spam on it, but now it's a "building" so it's not technically violating the terms of service.

It wouldn't bother me so much, but I am really OCD, I've had Ice from DFS out after a conversation to remove fullbright from some of the farm items since I have everything set up to work with point and projector lighting for "shared environment" there. Then you peek out the back of the stable and *BOOM!* your eyes start to bleed.

I would like to see an option to block ALL rezzed object by an owner, it's not like any of the people who do this are actually residents of SL.

I don't even mind the ones that look like they fit, there's one across the road that is a billboard styled like RL ones, with point lighting along the bottom glowing up onto the board, but with falloff set so it's not lighting up my home. I blacklist it because I hate the cycling collection of ads rather than a static one, it distracts me every time it changes, but I don't report them and grumble about how the people rezzing them deserve to be nuked from orbit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Incidentally, Spangle got swept clean of the PN debris sometime in the past few days, almost surely by Governance.

The question came up at the Land User Group today so I had to send an alt to check status. I'd been distracted by other normal SL stuff—and even a little Arbor Project activity—so I can't pinpoint exactly when sanity was restored to Spangle.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.