The Magical Vanishing Buttocks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

You might be able to get away with translating the bone down a little? How exactly you do that would depend on the animation software, and the results will of course depend on which body you're using.

I'm using Qavimator. Tried the Avastar add on for Blender but the support was horrible. Maitreya Lara body. I've been dealing with this over several years with various iterations of me in SL

6 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I'm using Qavimator. Tried the Avastar add on for Blender but the support was horrible. Maitreya Lara body. I've been dealing with this over several years with various iterations of me in SL

Grab a demo of Reborn and see if it does the same thing.  I'd be interested to see if it's a Maitreya issue or an overall issue.

• Like 1

I had a bit of a play, turns out the best fudge is to push the leg back into the body, a little further than you might think reasonable

(animation quoted for spam reduction)

version: 1
subversion: 0
base_priority: 4
duration: 0.300000
emote_name:
loop_in_point: 0.000000
loop_out_point: 0.100000
loop?: 1
ease_in_duration: 0.050000
ease_out_duration: 0.050000
hand_pose: 1
num_joints: 2
        joint_name: mHipLeft
        joint_priority: 4
        num_rot_keys: 1
                time: 0.000000
                rot_x: 0.000000
                rot_y: -0.8770000
                rot_z: 0.000000
        num_pos_keys: 3
                pos_x: -0.036000
                pos_y: 0.127000
                pos_z: -0.090000
                time: 0.100000
                pos_x: -0.036000
                pos_z: -0.090000
                time: 0.200000
                pos_x: 0.034000
                pos_z: -0.041000
        joint_name: mKneeLeft
        joint_priority: 4
        num_rot_keys: 1
                rot_x: 0.000000
                rot_y: 0.707100
                rot_z: 0.000000
        num_pos_keys: 0
num_contraints: 0

.anim file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/183GPdQMB2O_caA75yDPBGoe36loFw93x/view?usp=sharing

butt.png.503561c38fa1d970ae537889a6a5e3fd.png

Not amazing, but marginally better than without fudging in some bone translation. As far as I can tell though, Qavimator doesn't have tools for translating bones other than the avatar's position though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I had a bit of a play, turns out the best fudge is to push the leg back into the body, a little further than you might think reasonable

(animation quoted for spam reduction)

.anim file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/183GPdQMB2O_caA75yDPBGoe36loFw93x/view?usp=sharing

butt.png.503561c38fa1d970ae537889a6a5e3fd.png

Not amazing, but marginally better than without fudging in some bone translation. As far as I can tell though, Qavimator doesn't have tools for translating bones other than the avatar's position though.

A program besides Qavimator and Avastar?

Just now, Charalyne Blackwood said:

A program besides Qavimator and Avastar?

Yes but I wouldn't recommend using it for much serious, unless you like directly playing with numbers.

You might be able to use it to add in a few touch-ups to something made in Qavimator, but even for something this trivial I had to reference /character/avatar_skeleton.xml (comes with every viewer installation) for bone names and default positions, and upload a bunch of tests to the beta grid.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Yes but I wouldn't recommend using it for much serious, unless you like directly playing with numbers.

You might be able to use it to add in a few touch-ups to something made in Qavimator, but even for something this trivial I had to reference /character/avatar_skeleton.xml (comes with every viewer installation) for bone names and default positions, and upload a bunch of tests to the beta grid.

No idea how to translate bones :(

On 7/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Quistess Alpha said:

I've poked through several directories, there's no executable..?

4 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Vrklothu t'knaljach likkumenn du? Compile? Source?

Wikipedia har noen anstendige introduksjonsartikler om grunnleggende datakonsepter, også tilgjengelige på andre språk.

Simple english wikipedia is usually pretty well done.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler

also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface

As Quistess said, the best hack right now is to move the location of the joint to correct the deformation.

In an ideal world, SL would support shape keys, which are pretty much designed for this exact issue (joints will always deform weirdly at high rotations due to how mesh skinning works). Maybe in a couple years.

46 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Wikipedia har noen anstendige introduksjonsartikler om grunnleggende datakonsepter, også tilgjengelige på andre språk.

Simple english wikipedia is usually pretty well done.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler

also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface

I know what a source code is, and what compiling is. I also know what neurosurgery and quantum physics are. No idea how to do any of the above. I'm not a writer. No programming, no scripting, no manual compiling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 11:59 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Well... yes and no...

Animation support for AvaStar-Blender is found as animation tutorials for Blender not AvatStar or AvaStar-Blender. AvaStar adds some short cuts that make SL animating easier. But one has to understand Blender animation before any of the AvaStar tools help... or make sense.

The AvaStar people don't provide much basic animating help. They assume you know the basic part, which if you don't is VERY frustrating.

AvaStar adds IK animating which is a huge step up over most other animations tools used for SL. But IK animating is an advanced technique beyond the quick, simple animating novices and hobbyist want. But it makes more realistic and complex animations possible. AvaStar is more for the type of complex animating the Medhue does with his characters. I don't remember which software he uses. But that level of complexity is what AvaStar is supporting.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Well... yes and no...

Animation support for AvaStar-Blender is found as animation tutorials for Blender not AvatStar or AvaStar-Blender. AvaStar adds some short cuts that make SL animating easier. But one has to understand Blender animation before any of the AvaStar tools help... or make sense.

The AvaStar people don't provide much basic animating help. They assume you know the basic part, which if you don't is VERY frustrating.

AvaStar adds IK animating which is a huge step up over most other animations tools used for SL. But IK animating is an advanced technique beyond the quick, simple animating novices and hobbyist want. But it makes more realistic and complex animations possible. AvaStar is more for the type of complex animating the Medhue does with his characters. I don't remember which software he uses. But that level of complexity is what AvaStar is supporting.

It was an expensive shot in the dark for posing fingers. Tutorials on YouTube are always fast paced (miserable when switching between YouTube and Blender) or narrated by that obnoxious computer voice. The maker of Avastar had a never operational help desk, but they didn't say anything about that until you submitted a support request. We got your money, don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out. I really hate that the advanced version of Qavimator was removed from their site, it worked wonderfully.

• 1 month later...

@Nalates Urriahpretty much nailed it. I like Avastar because I already knew Blender. I'm not anything like in Medhue's league but as a SL musician who got tired of the guitar anims that basically just hold on to the neck and make vague strumming motions with the other hand I found it worth my while to put in the hours to create myself a couple that had the fingers of the left hand making real chord shapes* on the strings and the right hand fingerpicking. With almost any other toolset out there apart from Avastar and Blender that would have been the work of a lot more hours.

*No, I'm not sufficiently *****-retentive to create the correct chord shapes for every song. I'm a persnickety perfectionist but I'm not that bad. It's a simple G/C/D progression just slid up and down the neck a couple of times. I'm a folkie, we play everything in G anyway, right?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Grab a demo of Reborn and see if it does the same thing.  I'd be interested to see if it's a Maitreya issue or an overall issue.

I just got the reborn body, i thought it might just be my issue with maitreya too but reborn doin the same thing to me.

50c8b22a3c6c3ac276638f1efd0c29bf.png

The mesh of the butt starts by the joint of the lower back and the pelvic bone, the shape of the buttocks is half on the pelvic bone, and half on the hip bone, and the outline is formed from a rough half-circle shape to a three-quarters circle shape, causing it to implode onto itself.

You can reduce this effect a bit by doing some of the motion with the pelvic bone instead ..

35fa98ef76c5dc5caa886b69a8ab2975.png

But then you get this on the downward leg instead as the C-shape of the left buttock becomes a weird S-shape. 

3a76b2129a04dedd536df48b7ebdfdf6.png

It works better on sitting animations, but not so much on one where the legs are pointing in different directions.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.