Speedlight "light " mode

belindacarson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@belindacarson,  may I ask that if you try it on Google Play, and have also tried it on a "mobile device" - please let us know how it compares between the two. 

I only tried it on my iPhone and do not use Google Play. 

I stopped using it because, if I did not use it every few days it would disable my "free" SpeedLight access.  Unless I would have upgraded, I believe.  I am not sure if this was a strategy to a) inflate user counts and b) get people to upgrade from "free".  Still a great program so far as I could tell!

Thanks,

Love

22 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Does this mean this will connect direct to LL servers or still via smartbots servers?

The authentication is direct: your SL name and password goes directly from your device to SL login servers. It always works this way (both in regular and "light" mode).

In "light" mode you also get a server agent running: it keeps maintaining your avatar online when you minimise mobile app. Without a server agent Android/iOS terminates all app network connections in 2 minutes. (SpeedLight is using its own servers, not smartbots. But they are very similar, you are right.)

What is different in Light mode is that we immediately delete all related data when you exit SpeedLight. With regular account you may want to login later and see your avatars and IMs. With Light mode we know you definitely want them effectively erased right away.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I stopped using it because, if I did not use it every few days it would disable my "free" SpeedLight access.  Unless I would have upgraded, I believe.  I am not sure if this was a strategy to a) inflate user counts and b) get people to upgrade from "free".  Still a great program so far as I could tell!

Love, can you clarify please? The free access is always free, it can not be disabled. The most significant limitation of free account is 6 hours online time. You can re-login immediately tho.  Is it that annoying?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You know full well it is.

How many people would use Discord or Telegram if it kicked everyone off every few hours.

Well, 1 hour (we had before) was definitely annoying. However, the most of people connect to Second Life for 1-3 hours, so we decided that 6 hours is pretty enough. The main problem with unlimited online time is not my personal greed lol. Every online avatar eats some server power so we have to control it somehow.

However, I just got an idea how to test it in a wild, and give an unlimited time to users at community forum who really need it (for free indeed). I'll discuss it with a team and write details a bit later.

1 minute ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

Well, 1 hour (we had before) was definitely annoying. However, the most of people connect to Second Life for 1-3 hours, so we decided that 6 hours is pretty enough. The main problem with unlimited online time is not my personal greed lol. Every online avatar eats some server power so we have to control it somehow.

However, I just got an idea how to test it in a wild, and give an unlimited time to users at community forum who really need it (for free indeed). I'll discuss it with a team and write details a bit later.

Oh I understand that entirely .. It's a shame LL didn't keep some of the presence-less avatar login regions from their own alpha mobile client, negating the need for bots etc.

32 minutes ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

Love, can you clarify please? The free access is always free, it can not be disabled. The most significant limitation of free account is 6 hours online time. You can re-login immediately tho.  Is it that annoying?

No, sorry!

I'd have to login to clarify, then wait a few days for the nag message.

Sure, I'll admit I was wrong about "free" / "not free". But the "login every few days or nag" is far too annoying for me to replicate it for you.

p.s. If it's only nagging that it will "log you off", that's both silly and annoying, and unnecessary. Just stop the nagging. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

48 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'd have to login to clarify, then wait a few days for the nag message.

Hm. We don't ask to "login every few days" at the moment. You can use SpeedLight every day, or once per month - there's no difference.

20 minutes ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

Hm. We don't ask to "login every few days" at the moment. You can use SpeedLight every day, or once per month - there's no difference.

Believe me - I am a "supporter" and have suggested Speedlight in multiple threads on this Forum.

I can always give it a try again and let you know when it starts bugging me.

Here are my questions for you, since you asked me questions:

1)   Perhaps, since I was using it on "iPhone" - it was going to log me out if I switched away from the browser, opened new tabs, etc.?

Otherwise, I did not need to "stay logged in".  Although, if it were to log me out when switching app, tabs, etc. yes - that would have been annoying enough to select "stay logged in".

I now use Chrome, not Safari on iPhone.

2) What do you suppose it was reminding me about every few days?

If my memory has improved - perhaps it was actually bugging me that if I wanted to keep "Gold" (or whatever) status, I would need to login..?

3) Are you suggesting /  requesting that I try Speedlight again, a) to see if Speedlight got less annoying with reminders, and b) to verify the "stay logged in" scenario?

Thanks,

Love

2 hours ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

Thanks for answering Glaznah ^^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.