Advanced Lighting Model Mystery

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It has been a few days since I logged in to the grid, then I updated the latest Nvidia Game Ready driver 516.40 (released 6/15/2022). Now I get these contour lines on everything, the spacing between the line changes based on zoom level. The closer the camera is to the objects, the less spacing between the lines. Another thing is that objects well within the draw distance flickers and sometime disappear completely. All these issues go away when Advanced Lighting Model is turned off.

The viewer settings hasn't been changed in ages...I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the driver as it only happens in SL viewers, Firestorm and the official one. Computer is running fine,  I ran MS Flight Sim 2020 on 3 x 2K monitors for hours without any issue. I also ruled out hardware issues as 1080 ti is liquid cooled and all sensors are reporting normal stats. Anyone else is experiencing this?

Sl normal.png

sl strange.png

As reported back in Jira it affects all viewers: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-232264 Rollback to the GRD(gaming ready driver) 512.95 or GRD512.77 from May 12th and 24th should fix it , in some rare cases people report the 512.95 does the same so I can only recommend try with the GRD  512.77 

512.77 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/188990/en-us/ (laptops) 

512.77 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/188989/en-us/ (desktops)

If you gonna go the SRD (studio ready driver) have in mind these are optimized for creator workflow and can nerf certain games. If you play other stuff stick to GRD and rollback to last month ones.

If just SL go ahead SRD having that in mind:

Screenshot_20220616-133620.png

Stable SRD: 512.96 

Stable GRDs: 512.95(depends of some gpus) or 512.77

Some reports say AMD counter part new drivers cause the same maybe due to these pushing a newer version opengl and vulkan render protocols same as nvidia

Edited by LykanXEclipse
  • Like 1

Ok, thanks for the confirming it. When it comes to GPU driver, I avoid to update it unless it's a security issue. I'll wait a bit since I'm not actively creating contents and can live without the advanced lighting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

Ok, thanks for the confirming it. When it comes to GPU driver, I avoid to update it unless it's a security issue. I'll wait a bit since I'm not actively creating contents and can live without the advanced lighting.

you can report the problem to Nvidia using: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/494630/geforce-grd-51640-feedback-thread-released-61522/ (click the "To report a software issue, please fill out the NVIDIA driver feedback form  -  Click Here")
To report problems about the current driver you must specify the error with avanced light model, where it happens(you must type second life), in API select OpenCL, and the steps to reproduce it. And it will ask stuff about your pc components.

But yeah if we give feedback to nvidia maybe later or soon one of the new coming drivers fixes this artifact behavior with avanced light.

• Like 1

@LykanXEclipse The issue was reported to NVidia on the day of the driver's release and I had confirmation via the NVidia user forum that the issue had been added to the list of open issues.  We are perhaps fortunate in one way that this issue does not affect "just" SL but also Minecraft among others, so our chances of a "Hotfix" being issued is substantially greater.

The issue has also been reported to NVidia by one of the FS developers, Beq Janus.

Frankly the more complaints that are registered the  better!

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

I reported the issue for the Linux driver v515.48.07 a couple of days after it was released (it was released on the 31st May), the time for me to install it and notice the bug; I use ALM only occasionally myself, and mainly to test the Cool VL Viewer code in this mode after a change I made, so it went unnoticed by me at first.

NVIDIA replied my report 6 days later (they are usually faster than this, but, well...).

The bug is referenced 3676172 in their (internal) bug tracker.

In the mean time and for Linux, you may still use the 515.43.04 beta driver which works fine.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

Look like the new one Nvidia GRD 516.59 fixes de problem, as confirmed in Jira last comment and nvidia release notes: https://jira.secondlife.com/projects/BUG/issues/BUG-232264

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/496299/geforce-grd-51659-feedback-thread-released-62822/Screenshot_20220628-120139.png.b8fa8856842aef9c038017ae08169a31.png

I tested it too on a 3060 and a 1660 on Blackdragon viewer, no artifacts or glitches using this new GRD

1 hour ago, LykanXEclipse said:

Look like the new one Nvidia GRD 516.59 fixes de problem

So does v515.57 for Linux that just got released. \o/

Even though the release notes do not list this fix...

Also, I find it odd that the Windows driver release notes mention ”third party viewers”, since it actually affected LL's viewer(s) alike.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Also, I find it odd that the Windows driver release notes mention ”third party viewers”, since it actually affected LL's viewer(s) alike.

*Sigh*  Seems that NVidia only listed Firestorm because that was the name most often mentioned in the myriad complaints that NVidia received. Both Beq Janus yourself and myself mentioned that the issue affected ALL SecondLife viewers, including several TPVs.  If they fixed this mess perhaps we should be grateful and accept that their ability to read is no greater than Linden Lab.

At this time the new version has not made if to the UK users (at least not to my Experience set-up).

Edited by Aishagain

I am muttering somewhat about they way some reporting of this issue managed to lose that v516.40 was a Windows driver while the Linus/Unix equivalent was v515.48

But no, what we got was "Update: the issues described blow have also been noted on Nvidia drivers 512.95 and 515.48." And so context is lost for anyone who doesn't keep track of the version numbers. I just upgraded when a new version of my distribution's recommended driver came out.

11 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Wow.  Release notes there say that Minecraft Java edition uses OpenGL.  Isn't that Minecraft one of the best selling games ever?

Yes, Ardy.  That's most likely the reason this fix happened so quickly!

Perhaps folk won't be so quick to dismiss the value of OpenGL subsequently.  Perhaps.

Edited by Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.