How to get rid of Legacy M neck seam.

Bowlslaw

Hello,

So I'm using the Legacy applier skin that comes with it, and Lelutka Skyler head. I'm using the provided neck fix by Legacy, where you choose the neck fade in the HUD, and then put on the corresponding tattoo layer.

It looks good, except for some angles when advanced lighting is enabled.

113c6534dac6b0511a79224998e78d0b.png

20d966f3b9a144e25a2fde7216f6f1ac.png

When I go full BoM, I don't have this issue, but then I can't use Legacy's body skin, which is my favorite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bowlslaw said:

Hello,

So I'm using the Legacy applier skin that comes with it, and Lelutka Skyler head. I'm using the provided neck fix by Legacy, where you choose the neck fade in the HUD, and then put on the corresponding tattoo layer.

113c6534dac6b0511a79224998e78d0b.png

20d966f3b9a144e25a2fde7216f6f1ac.png

When I go full BoM, I don't have this issue, but then I can't use Legacy's body skin, which is my favorite.

I had this problem too and couldn't fix it. Just had to go get the applier for the head skin 😕

Sadly,  I still have this issue - even with BOM ....     I have tried everything,  and still get the neck line - but not always.    Like your first pick,   it looks good from certain angles and with certain windlight/EEP ------ but never fails to show up when I least expect it.        

Here's hoping I learn a new trick from the experts here!    Good luck - I know this doesn't help one tiny little bit. LOL

• Like 1

If you've never put on the advanced editor hud, then it's not that.  

I'm not logged in so found a picture.  The first picture of the HUD where it says bump or shine.  The first dot I believe is off.  You wouldn't notice you had turned it on unless advanced lighting was on.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Unless you have the material on n the head.

2026400803_R-2022-04-22T200851_891.thumb.jpeg.2659ed6f7daa6d9ecff804e3a1f41a03.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

Sadly,  I still have this issue - even with BOM ....     I have tried everything,  and still get the neck line - but not always.    Like your first pick,   it looks good from certain angles and with certain windlight/EEP ------ but never fails to show up when I least expect it.        

Here's hoping I learn a new trick from the experts here!    Good luck - I know this doesn't help one tiny little bit. LOL

turn on shadow moon/sun

13 hours ago, Bowlslaw said:

I'm using the provided neck fix by Legacy, where you choose the neck fade in the HUD

I'd avoid doing this if possible.

The reason why is that neck fades use alpha blending, the source of all the dreaded alpha sorting bugs. Surfaces that make use of alpha blending are also not lit in the same way as other surfaces (as doing so would be too intensive).

If Legacy have provided a tattoo layer as a neck blend, use this - make sure to double check that you're using the correct blend layer for your chosen head UV (Evo X and SLUV are not compatible, so wearing an SLUV neck blender and an Evo X skin won't work!) and disable the neck fade.

Let us know how that works for you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bowlslaw said:

This is a bit of an issue which affects a lot of people, especially since some users never turn ALM on and don't realise that their avatars look awry for people around them - neck seams are still commonplace, for both male and female avatars who haven't been set up correctly, or whose components are incompatible with the 'universal neck'.

I don't know anything about Legacy as I don't have it, but it should be fully compatible with the universal neck, and it does look to me as if the issue is probably on the head rather than the body. Especially since it's not the only lighting thing that looks off on it - that hard line in front of your ear (although maybe that's smoke from the cigarette?), the 'underwater shadows' thing you got on your chin, I'd look at the head for starters.

And I'd advise going BOM sooner rather than later, as it's much easier to fix neck seams with BOM skins rather than applier ones (that require the notorious neck-sleeve which, in my mind at least, just double the amount of seams!). 

But even if you're all set up and you have skins that should be seamless, lighting in SL does have its moments where it just doesn't want to play ball - and we can never control what Windlight or what graphic options other users are using, so we can minimise it as much as we like, but there's no 'perfection' to be had here.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:38 AM, Jenna Huntsman said:

I'd avoid doing this if possible.

The reason why is that neck fades use alpha blending, the source of all the dreaded alpha sorting bugs. Surfaces that make use of alpha blending are also not lit in the same way as other surfaces (as doing so would be too intensive).

If Legacy have provided a tattoo layer as a neck blend, use this - make sure to double check that you're using the correct blend layer for your chosen head UV (Evo X and SLUV are not compatible, so wearing an SLUV neck blender and an Evo X skin won't work!) and disable the neck fade.

Let us know how that works for you.

I haen't found anything that works with the tattoo layer. The instructions provided by Legacy even says to use the neckfade plus the corresponding tattoo layer in tandem.

8 minutes ago, Bowlslaw said:

I haen't found anything that works with the tattoo layer. The instructions provided by Legacy even says to use the neckfade plus the corresponding tattoo layer in tandem.

Unfortunately then you're SOL. Unless Legacy provide a compatible tattoo layer, OR provide you with a BoM copy of your chosen skin, you'll pretty much always have seaming issues. The problem isn't with the skin, or the mesh, but the fact that you're using 2 textures which aren't matched at their edges, which is what causes the seam.

Neck fades aren't all that reliable due to the issue I mentioned above, and while it's possible to manipulate the viewer settings to hide the seam issue, others will still see it. (No, telling them to change their settings to view your avatar correctly isn't a solution!).

As others have mentioned, it may be worth putting some time in to find a full BoM skin that you like (There's so many options out there, I guarantee spending a couple hours touring skin shops and you'll find one you fall in love with) as it's much easier to mix and match head and body skins, all while never encountering seaming issues.

If Legacy had released their body skins as BOM... Problem solved.

But here we are talking about a company who offer no service. I remember before mesh bodies, when Slink feet and hands was the best you could have. All the major skin creators released Slink appliers! All the major ones... But guess who did not? The Shops, or what name they sold their skins under back then. They were super popular.

39 minutes ago, Bowlslaw said:

I can understand your reluctance to use another body skin.  When I used the original body from that company, I loved the skins that came with it.  I did eventually find a skin I liked almost as much.  Unless you spend the majority of your time mostly naked, you're the only one enjoying that skin.  People, me included, will notice the neck seam before noticing the rest of your skin.  Naked or not.  Women often wear a necklace to cover a seam.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, Rowan Amore said:

I can understand your reluctance to use another body skin.  When I used the original body from that company, I loved the skins that came with it.  I did eventually find a skin I liked almost as much.  Unless you spend the majority of your time mostly naked, you're the only one enjoying that skin.  People, me included, will notice the neck seam before noticing the rest of your skin.  Naked or not.  Women often wear a necklace to cover a seam.  

"Unless you spend the majority of your time mostly naked, you're the only one enjoying that skin."

Well, this is mostly right, but there are still the arms for short sleeves, the neck area, and legs for shorts. I've found nothing that gives the kind of excellent detail on the arms.

• 1 year later...