Cut land impact by removing physics

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here is a little wizard trick that can be used in SL if things have a large physics and you do not mind "phantom" bed tables.

This bedroom is on sale for 300 L this weekend. I like the style, but the land impact? The bed tables was 6 Li each. I inspected it in the store, and it had a physics set to 5,9. That is high.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Miriam Green/195/103/2011

The set is 34 Li when all parts is set up individually.

That is what we discussed in another thread, how to decorate a Linden Home on a Li budget. So how about taking it down to 14 Li, and still keep physics on the most important part of the bed?

First of all, the side table has a separate shadow. It did not change the look if I deleted the shadow. It was a barely visible edge. Can you see it? And since the bed had no shadow at all, the side tables could lose their shadows. Yes, the bed does not come with a shadow.

The lamps has a color change menu between white or black. Select the color you want, and look close at the lamp. It has both a separate shadow, and what looked like invisible short legs. you can see them outlined in yellow. I unlinked both the invisible legs and the shadow, and deleted them.

Then you link all the parts, and the bed must be the last you select!! Very important. Link everything. The bed blanket is now the only thing outlined in yellow, if you did it right. In the edit window, go to 'Features' and under 'Physics Shape Feature' select 'None'. This is when you see the land impact go down to 14, if you have done it right.

The art, lamps, side tables and parts of the bed has lost its physics, and you can walk through them. But the end of the bed, with the bed blanket has physics. You walk up to the end of the bed, and go up on the blanket. If you walk up to a side table and then turn and walk in the bed, you will go through the bed. But why would you do that?

The bed animations work the same way as in the unlinked bed. It is a menu that does not work in either bed, but I think it is because it is PG and the couple poses are removed, but not the entry in the menu.

beds_001.png

beds_002.png

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 10

Do I recommend this set? Sort of. But it has bad LOD, so you have to decide if it works for you. I have 4 LOD on, and reacted because some things fell apart in the store, even close up. You also has to be close to the bed to see it correct. Not good at all.

It has only single animations, but that is not unusual for PG beds, I assume.

The lamps does not have light. It is one of the things that annoy me in SL. Light sources with only full bright and glow, but no light. I selected the bright/glowing part and added light to it.

I have no idea if this physics trick works on other things they sell. I would not have bought the bedroom set at full price, and tried to experiment on it. But it was cheap, and I could at least use the art, since it is low Li on its own.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You walk up to the end of the bed, and go up on the blanket. If you walk up to a side table and then turn and walk in the bed, you will go through the bed. But why would you do that?

I actually chuckled at this.  In RL, do you climb into your bed from the foot of the bed?  I walk up next to the bed, near the head of the bed, next to the nightstand, and then climb in.  In SL, I don't do either, I simply click on the bed and sit/lay.  Even so, I'd probably have to select a few more of the bed parts and leave them physical to keep from driving myself nuts. 

Physics is good way of reducing LI though and definitely worth experimenting with.   

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I actually chuckled at this.  In RL, do you climb into your bed from the foot of the bed? 

Yes. Because I sleep on a modern version of a floor mat (not a futon or a japanese natural rush reed tatami mat, though).  It's part of my "downsizing", and folds up nicely to make my non-bed bedroom bigger!

• Like 5

The art, lamps, side tables and parts of the bed has lost its physics, and you can walk through them. But the end of the bed, with the bed blanket has physics. You walk up to the end of the bed, and go up on the blanket. If you walk up to a side table and then turn and walk in the bed, you will go through the bed. But why would you do that?

Solid-looking things you can walk through are immersion-breaking. You end up inside stuff, sometimes stuck. They make the world less real. Objects which look like land but can be walked through are most annoying. Simplify the physics model, don't eliminate it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, animats said:

Solid-looking things you can walk through are immersion-breaking. You end up inside stuff, sometimes stuck. They make the world less real. Objects which look like land but can be walked through are most annoying. Simplify the physics model, don't eliminate it.

I don't want to walk through or see other avatars walk through walls, tables, sofas or beds. I think it's perfectly reasonable to make carpets, pictures, and small décor phantom though. Chairs can be more iffy. A big cushy arm chair should be solid, but a simple chair lined up with a desk might be phantom if it gives me or my VKC dog easier movement around the room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

if it gives me or my VKC dog easier movement around the room. 

Ah, that problem.

My NPCs have the opposite problem. They can maneuver around obstacles, but will go through things that server raycasts, which check the physics model, say are not there.

• Like 1

I thought out something. What about an invisible prim under the bed, raised to almost touch the blanket? It only add 1 Li, and that means 15 Li total for bed, 2 sidetables, 2 lamps and the art. Still not bad. No walking through the bed. You can walk through the nightstands if you want to, but they are close to the wall. And in SL I stand next to the bed, click on it and select "sit here". I do not walk to the side, walk up on the bed and then click it?

I only stand on the bed in the second image to show it's not phantom. The blanket has enough big physics (Bounding box, is that what it is?) to stop me from walking through the end of the bed and mattress. Even if the blanket does not hang down on the end.

It would be much more unrealistic and break immersion, walking from a door to a window, and pass straight through the bed. The solid blanket with physics stop it. I walk towards the bed, is stopped and have to continue to walk so I climb up.

I have seen this strange high physics on unexpected things before. I remember it on a wall shelf with decor, like bowls, from DRD. And that was really surprising. It hangs over the cabinets and against the wall. Walk up on a cabinet and try to walk through the shelf, only to bump in the wall. I think removing physics and link it took off 4-5 li.

It is a hit and miss, really. Sometimes it works like a dream. I have also tried it with other things, and it has not succeeded. But fun to experiment with , if it is something cheap.

• Like 3

I was a bit unsure if I should shop there, because the store is all in black and white, and some items look just like what I find in another store that sell only black and white furniture. But it is much more likely that both have bough 3D models from outside SL, and that one store know how to improve the LOD when they upload it to SL. I have seen lots of stuff in Turbosquid for instance, that I recognize in SL.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I never knew this was one way to cut down Land Impact, My linden home for one has been on a constant change like I cannot keep still and always changing and altering stuff and replacing items with low Impact and hearing this method and other one from another thread has expanded my knowledge and I been on SL for years and this dose shave off a lot of prims. I do use like Mesh Generator to lower some homemade stuff like custom wallpapers for my personal room and because the prims adds up I just link them then use a mesh generator script then once it gave me the .dae file I just phantom it and use the house walls as the physics but sense I love putting pictures on walls I linked them to the mesh wallpaper and made the changed suggested here really helps me by huge lot.

I did not use the method on all objects as some are not keen on it.

Almost feels Like I am cheating XD But still If I had not saw this thread I be asking myself "Hmm I want this but its too much prims and or the prims are low but I need enough prims for my other friend who has yet to move into my linden home yet. Two Rooms are already filled and one of them has yet to be used so this help respect my prim count better for other friends who needs it.

Edited by FurryWolf Rayna
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I hope I don't mess this up but I'm going to try it to save some LI in my linden home :D

If you press the wrong button and end up falling through the infinite void for the rest of eternity then... RIP, you will be missed! o7

(just kidding, that's probably not going to happen.... probably!) :P 

• Haha 5

It is really few things I could do this with, but the DRD rustic kitchen has a lot of decor with quite high physics.  A sandwich board with a physics of 4,3!

And a grocery bag with 1,5. Separate they will be 4 + 2 Li. Linked together and then set to "none" took the two objects down to 2 Li for them together. That is 4 li saved on 2 decorative items that stand on a counter.

The spice rack and the pots rack is 3 each. Linked and set to "none", they are 3 li together. I used this rustic kitchen in a log house, because it fits so well, but I thought I had to discard the decor because it was so much higher li than I would expect from decor that is 1 object.

And 2 very decorative hanging plants from Vespertine, they are 4 and 4  li each, but linked and set to "none" cut the li to 4 for them together.

So it is only with strange high physics for things that don't need walking on or through that this can work. I made a garden fundament for another place, to raise the house on, and that has physics of 3,6. So a sandwich board with physics 4,3 made me curious, what would happen if I toggled it to "none"?

But I repeat... I find very few things with this strange high physics. So it is not magic. Except for the DRD kitchen, it felt like magic.

garden fundament_007.jpg

garden fundament_003.jpg

garden fundament_001.jpg

So many errors
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.