Is 4GHz Data connection still being used for SL-Viewers, or 5GHz?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

There's no way we can answer that question here. Whether your mobile device is using 4th or 5th Generation (not GHz) radio technology is something you must ask your mobile device. On Apple devices with cellular interfaces, a 5G connection will be indicated in the status bar.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/26/how-to-tell-which-aspect-of-5g-youve-connected-to-on-iphone-12

I don't know how you'd determine this on an Android device.

Having 5G capability on your mobile device doesn't mean it will make a 5G connection. That only happens when you are within range of a 5G capable tower or hotspot. Over the course of a day, your mobile device might flip back and forth between 4 and 5G hundreds of time, or not at all. In my neighborhood, it's not uncommon for my 4G capable iPhone to get no data service at all. There are a few spots where I can't even make voice calls.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Second Life is not intended for use with a mobile network of any generation.

Especially if you don't have an unlimited data plan. Really unlimited, not "unlimited" as a term of art in contracts that means a few gigabytes a month. Driving around SL will pull maybe 10 gigabytes per hour across the network. One two hour drive with Drivers of SL can blow through an entire monthly "unlimited" quota with some cellular providers.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.