Would you buy a shape without first trying a demo?

syndi Pearl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I never buy shapes at all. Mainly because all I would do is modify everything so I may as well start with "New Shape" or, more usually, the one that came in the box with whatever head I'm using. 

The only circumstance in which I might consider buying a shape would be to get a particular look for some sort of costume, in which case I would need a demo AND I would need to know what skin and head it was made for, so I could get a demo of those too, and try them all together. Shape creators who hide their stylecard until I've paid will not get my L$. Even with a demo, its useless without also knowing what skin it is.

I've never purchased a shape for myself just spent the last 14 years tweaking and refining the shape i do have. i have used free/cheap complete avatars or pre-made shapes on alts when i haven't been settled on a long term look and there's often something will need tweaking, either the height sliders are maxed out, arms a touch short looking etc. because creators either omit that info or use a pose and/or outfit and/or ad style that doesn't show these things. If i was in the market for a shape for myself i wouldn't buy one i couldn't demo first

I use a shape for my head (I don't think I have much of a knack for making decent-looking faces), but for the body I just played with the sliders until I liked it. The head shape I use is from a skin I tried but didn't end up liking; I liked the shape, though, and am now using it with a completely different skin from another maker.

• Like 1

I have sold shapes pre-mesh and started doing a bit again recently. Back then I had demo shapes with like huge feet and not mod. But nowadays you can copy a (non mod) shape so easy that making a demo basically means giving away the shape. That is the main reason a lot of shape creators do not make demo's anymore.

I don't think a shape is worth a load of Lindens, seeing them sold for 500+ seems a bit much IMO, but in the100 / 200 range I would dare to take the risk if the store has good enough pictures and you are sure it is made for your body and head you will be using it on, and is mod. But I prefer making my own and don't buy them myself.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, syndi Pearl said:

Recently I went to Skin Fair in search of a Lelutka EvoX shape for a specific head. I found many but only one had a demo. In my experience, appearance depends on the head, the shape, the skin, the eyes (particularly color), the brows, and the hair.  And lighting. Consequently, a demo seems necessary. Do you ever buy a shape without doing a demo? Are you planning on using a style card to duplicate what you see in the ad?

I have not bought a shape in about 10 years...  Because either the head is great and the body a waif thin body shape or vice versa.. I just do my own. I know I am not an expert by any means.. But I like how my avatar looks mostly.

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.