PIOF Required for content creation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Although I have PIOF already and this won't hurt me either way, I'm against restricting NPIOF's from uploading. Some of the best content I've seen in SL is uploaded and made by NPIOF accounts, who then often give it away for free.

Restrict selling, sure. But not creating.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I haven't thought through the idea of restricting all transfers to indentifiable people, so I don't yet have an opinion about that.

NPIOF Resident:  Hi, sorry to bother you, but I bought a low prim widget in your shop out of my earnings as a dancer in a club here, and it doesn't seem to work.

Merchant.   That's OK, since it's transfer -- just send it back to me, and I'll send you a replacement.

NPIOF Resident:  Ah... that may present a problem..

Good point - and one that should have come to my mind immediately. I think it's because I don't sell "widgets" that it escaped me :)

That is a good point.

The flip side is that being allowed to transfer without being allowed to sell introduces a kind of "black market" where payment is made separately from the transfer of the goods.  That and the fact that some things simply shouldn't be distributed, and one would want to be able to associate RL identity with the account doing the distributing.

Arguably, it may be that uploading is the place to stop content that shouldn't be distributed.  The direction seems to be more assets (such as Mesh, textures, etc.) that get explicitly uploaded (in contrast to prims and avatar shapes).  I'm not thrilled about restricting all uploads to PIOF-only, but... now I'm not sure what's best, either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.