simple dance script

Leo Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There may be free open source scripts to do whatever's wanted, but the complicated part is always figuring out what exactly is wanted:

• Is there just one dancer?
  • How is animation permission obtained? (e.g., does each dancer sit on their own prim? or attach a prim? or does the dancer touch a prim, in which case will the prim be on Experience-enabled land or must the script explicitly ask permissions of each dancer every time?)
  • Apparently there are multiple dances, so how is a particular dance to be chosen? (from a menu on touch? or do the dances play in sequence? or at random?)
  • If there are multiple dancers, do they all dance the same dance at the same time? Or different dances? If different dances, are they supposed to be synchronized? If synchronized, are they supposed to be positionally aligned (paired danceballs, for example)?
  • How should a dancer stop dancing?
  • Like 2

The very simplest dance script that only offers one dance choice to one person who sits on the thing is the second example at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlStartAnimation#Examples . Absolutely dirt simple.  If you want more bells and whistles (any of the common features that Qie listed), you might be lucky enough to find them in a free script somewhere, but don't count on it.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 1

That's a little more complicated than a simple dance script, then.  Look in the Marketplace for a chim. You'll find really cheap ones for under L$100 and others that are higher priced.  The scripts are likely to be pretty much the same, but the quality of the dances will be much better in the higher priced ones. My guess is that the cheap chims mostly have freebie dances that have been around since 2004.  The biggest cost in dance machines is the dances.

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Look in the Marketplace for a chim.

Huh, some neat SL history in that word

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Chim

Chim refers to the ability of some dance HUDs to animate other avatars in addition to the wearer. It can be used as a noun to refer to a HUD that can do this, or to a wearable accessory prim that allows avatars to request this by touching it. It is also frequently used as a verb to refer to being animated this way. Most chims can animate a limited number of avatars at a time. Examples of typical uses of the word as a noun would be "My chim is full" and "My chim is on my butt". The usual example of the verb form is "Chim me."

The word chim is derived from Chimera, which was a popular brand of dance attachment. It is used in the Second Life sense to refer to dance HUDs which feature chimming, but has been eclipsed by the more encompassing chim.

Without doing any of the painstaking research to verify it, I have always assumed that "chim" is short for "Chimera", the mythical hybrid monster that was part lion, part goat, and part snake (plus a few other things).  There's a wonderfully scary-looking Chinese cousin, the Qilin, whose name sounds almost the same as "chim" if you mumble a bit. Our dance chim controls a mashup of dances for a hybrid mix of dancers that is at least metaphorically like a chimera/qilin.   But of course I could be wrong.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have always assumed that "chim" is short for "Chimera"  ... Our dance chim controls a mashup of dances for a hybrid mix of dancers that is at least metaphorically like a chimera ...   But of course I could be wrong.

you are not wrong

as I remember the very first dance chimera devices were bracelets. Enabling two people to dance together

then the multi dancer chimera came

then the ball worn on your head or bottom with the ubiquitous /99 stop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.