turning off particle swirl

Navy1 Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hope I am not in the wrong section but I seem to get a quick particle swirl every time I go right click anything to get the pie menu. It's not really an issue for my building but more for looking at random things for who created it, etc just as a privacy issue.

If I right click anything to rez the pie menu, I get a particle swirl. I have turned off in EXTRA the "create particle when scripts communicate, but doesn't help.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

IIRC the only thing that can be controlled is how one's own viewer displays the selection graphics for all avatars, not how one's selections are displayed on other viewers. It's possible some TPVs have a way of suppressing transmission of which object is selected in that viewer, but I don't remember encountering such a feature.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

yes Qie, I forgot that it only applies to our viewer

we can't stop the swirl on other people's viewers. Even with Firestorm's LookAt preferences

i think this has to do with the basic Linden rule. If you can see me then I can see you

Interesting, I haven't seen a firestorm user select something in a while, but if memory serves, their viewer's selection beam always shows up in a multicolored pattern that kinda looks like their phoenix if you look at it the right way. since viewers can change how the effect looks to others it follows that it should be /possible/ to turn it off for other viewers. Will do some quick tests with "ShowSelectionBeam"(debug setting) turned off and report back.

Results:

• "ShowSelectionBeam" is relative to your own viewer, it does not change what other people see.
  • Firestorm:
    • "Don't send my selection target hints" (prefs->privacy) turns off your selection beam for everyone.
    • will show a particle swirl around the thing you right click no matter your settings.
    • has a lot of fancy debug options for changing the color and style of the selection beam; some styles are a bit buggy for me.
  • Kokua:
    • Never shows the particle swirl (when selecting things), but cannot turn off particle beam for others. (swirl still happens when objects say things.)
    • If "Do not reveal to others where I point" (prefs->kokua->privacy) is toggled, there seems to be a feature (bug) where your selection beam will always be on the last thing you selected before toggling the the option on (even on other's viewers).  This does not persist after a relog.
  • Catznip/CoolVL
    • (Similar to FS, but no fancy beams, both show selection swirl. too lazy to nitpick about selection beam specifics.)
Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

we can't stop the swirl on other people's viewers.

My tests seem to show it's technically possible (Kokua never shows the swirl) but that viewers seem to have not implemented the functionality to turn it off.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:
  • Kokua:
    • Never shows the particle swirl, but cannot turn off particle beam for others.

thanks for the info and the effort you put in to find this out

would seem that Kokua does it this way to be compliant with the if you can see me I can see you rule. The other viewers go the other way seems like

thanks for all the suggestions. Am kinda convinced it is inherent within the linden system since I have tried shutting this and that off, even using 2 different viewer on my Navy1 alt and mine and it still shows. I can shut it off of my viewer by setting particles to 0 but that doesn't stop other viewer from seeing the swirl. As a club owner I always inspect items I see that I might want in my place for owners, tracking to MP or their store. A few times I have been accused of trying to somehow damage or steal the item, so if it was a simple setting, I wanted to avoid the misconception. BTW, setting particles to 0 also blocks all particles in your viewer only (wink)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:
  • Catznip/CoolVL
    • (Similar to FS, but no fancy beams, both show selection swirl. too lazy to nitpick about selection beam specifics.)

The Cool VL Viewer allows to limit the distance at which the ”point at” information is transmitted to the server (and thus avoid revealing what you are editing/inspecting beyond that distance). If you reduce this distance to 0, then you basically disable entirely the point at info and selection beam.

The same is true for the ”look at” info, however my viewer does it in a different way than others, by ensuring equity/reciprocity. I.e. if you limit the look at info to a given distance, you will equally not be informed about the names of the avatars looking at the same distance and beyond.

See the corresponding settings (and explanatory tool tips for them) in the ”Preferences” floater -> ”Input & camera” tab -> ”Input controls” sub-tab.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.