Oh the hype!

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"I'm an excellent driver."

One of the creepiest things Zuck says here is that there will be this "trippy" moment (he uses that word) where we will suddenly "break free" from screens, and he concludes there will be "no more screens" (I've seen other Metaverse hucksters make that claim.)

But in fact, if you have to wear goggles or even "streamlined glasses" and also table tops and walls and basically anything can deliver an image, in fact, you have broken away from your 2 or 3 screens to an entire world of them babbling at you constantly. It's a nightmare.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I stumbled on this video on YT. It really should have been named "How People Who Know Nothing About Virtual Reality View Virtual Reality".

I think the look that Musk is giving Zuck is priceless

I've said it elsewhere but it's still relevant. If we let the metaverse be created by an organization for financial(*) reasons, we won't get what we want, we'll get what they think they can sell us.

This isn't just the simple case of "you pay, you use..." It's also "we find what you like so we can sell it to others..."

• Like 3

I just finished watching the video, and when I flipped back to the news there was a bit of breaking news - "Facebook has changed it's company name to 'Meta', apparently as a result of the recent bad PR"

I don't know why I've started humming to myself "shaved her legs and then he was a she..."

Facebook's vision of the Metaverse is everybody wearing Facebook goggles for all their waking hours. This is the vision in "Hyperreality". (Search Google for the "Hyperreality" video). That's a dystopian vision which is all too close to being achievable.

• Like 3

I've seen My First Metaverse Article by Joe Clueless about a hundred times now.

Between the NFT scammers, Zuckerberg trying to take over, and Linden Lab fumbling the ball, the metaverse field has become frustrating.

I want to see good virtual worlds. Not happening.

(Except Roblox. They have a clue, a plan, users, and money. But their world is mostly 13 year olds.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.