Renter Wants to Assign Private Group to Rental Parcel

Petey Carver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

You don't "assign".  You either DEED the land (which you can't do in this case, because you are renting) or you SET the land to the group.  Setting the land to the group just makes it possible for group members to have some privileges like the ability to rez things, run scripts, or bring objects onto the land , if you have given group members those abilities.

Not very likely.  As the landowner, however, you do not need to tolerate actions on your land that you don't like.  You can return object on your land that violate TOS or your own personal rules. You also have the right at any time to evict, ban, block anyone if you need to.  You don't even need to explain why, although that would usually be polite.

The page on http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Groups_and_Land shows that:

Sale of group land
ANY OWNER OR OFFICER of the group (or any member with the proper "ability" in the group) can sell the land to whomever they wish (even themselves for L$0) without prior approval from other owners, officers or members. There is nothing you can do if a rogue officer "steals" all the land from others. Period. So be careful. Normally, all land sale proceeds of group land are equally distributed amongst all group members. However, the settings in the group can be adjusted so that not everyone receives a share of these proceeds.

4 hours ago, Petey Carver said:

Renter Wants to Assign Private Group to my Parcel, does doing that allow them to sell the land? Does that have any other risks?

if you aren't the renter, NEVER allow to deed, you loose ownership on your land. Unless you are a owner, and they a member with limited abilities in the group.

I usually use a separate group for each rental and invite tenants to a Role with a specially tailored set of Abilities in that group. Those abilities obviously don't include selling the land nor doing anything else scary.

At least once I agreed to a more involved process to re-use their pre-existing store group, but they had to make me Owner, they had to all leave their Owner roles, and only then did I deed the land to that group. Then I created that special tenant-ability role and invited them to it. It all worked fine, but it took a few steps and they had to be willing to have me the sole Owner of their store group, which was kinda weird. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. Sheim said someone else let herm rent and use a private group. Maybe it was on a private region. Sheims never even been on the land that my visitor list detected. I don't even have the land posted for rent. More likely someone trying to take land. 

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.