Trojans via Firestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this - I rarely venture outside the Land > Linden Homes forum, so I'm in foreign territory here!

I've just logged into Firestorm, and for the first time in 18 months of using it I've received messages from Malwarebytes Premium about a Trojan that was blocked. Actually 2 separate messages on each of 3 login attempts. Just want to give people a heads up. (I'm using the latest version of Firestorm for Windows, 6.4.13 (63251).)

trojan.jpg

19 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this - I rarely venture outside the Land > Linden Homes forum, so I'm in foreign territory here!

I've just logged into Firestorm, and for the first time in 18 months of using it I've received messages from Malwarebytes Premium about a Trojan that was blocked. Actually 2 separate messages on each of 3 login attempts. Just want to give people a heads up. (I'm using the latest version of Firestorm for Windows, 6.4.13 (63251).)

trojan.jpg

Was there streaming media nearby?  That looks like what was being blocked not the viewer itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Was there streaming media nearby?  That looks like what was being blocked not the viewer itself.

The viewer itself wasn't blocked from opening, but I made multiple attempts just to see if the message re-appeared. 

I've only recently enabled Streaming Music and Media in the preferences (last week), and have to admit that not being a techie person I didn't quite understand what else I needed to do to get things to work - I'd encountered a soundscape and music on other parcels and tried copying the urls and inputting them into the About Land > Media and Sound pages, but it didn't work and I just forgot about it. I've now disabled Streaming Music and Media, and removed the info I'd input in About Land, and the message has not re-appeared when logging in. (I know this sub-forum isn't the place to ask about those settings, and having lived without music for umpteen years can survive without it.)

Thank you for responding!

@Frigga Freidman What Malware Bytes is identifying is the media stream, that can also be blocked within the viewer (Firestorm) by enabling the media filter in preferences.  You will then be asked each time a media or music stream is available whether you wish to play or block the stream.  There is no need to deny yourself many of the good and safe streams that are available in SL.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, MarissaOrloff said:

M*vies7.to shows pirated and/or unlicensed content and that is why your AV/Anti-malware is blocking it. 

It must've been from a neighboring parcel, then, as I'd only input urls from radio stations. Must investigate all this further when I have more time.

In my opinion the viewer's site blocking is mostly superfluous. Visiting a music site with a browser allows scripts to run and offers ample opportunity for you to click on things. So, you can easily pickup PUPs and adware. That isn't true with the viewer. It connects to a stream and plays music. It does execute scripts or click on things.

The viewer's blocking does prevent region owners from using music channels to obtain you IP address. It reduces the ability for you to be tracked.

If you use Google for search, run Chrome, or use other software or DNS from Google and its brothers and sisters then they already have more data on you than you can imagine. So, a region owner tracking you is like a bee splatting on your windshield versus being run over by an 18-wheeler.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.