I need to know if a message is truly from Linden labs or if it is a scam/fishing expedition

Alianaluz Rivera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My friend in Japan received a message that claims to be sentto her from Linden Labs. We need to know if the message is legitimate or whether it's a scam. The message is as follows:

Dear Second Life Resident,

We recently launched a beta of a new payment system that enables our international customers to use local currencies, and other payment methods, when purchasing Linden dollars and conducting other financial transactions with Linden Lab.

However, as we blogged yesterday, we’ve run into some problems. Your account has been identified as one that is near delinquency, due to an issue with the Local Payments Beta. The issue is on our end and we want to apologize for the inconvenience, particularly if you have received auto-emails about your account status and tried unsuccessfully to update your billing information.

We want to help you bring your account to good standing. On Monday, June 6th, your account will be switched from the Local Payments Beta to the main payments system and you will receive another email that will ask you to visit the billing info page to update your payment method. It’s important that you take this step to ensure that the billing information that we have on file is correct and up-to-date.

If you would like to remain in the Beta, then just call our toll free 1-800 numbers listed here by 8am PT on Monday, June 6th and we will not switch you back over to the main billing system.

Thanks for your patience as we roll out the new system.

Signed,

The Linden Lab Payments Team

Please let me know if this message is from Linden Labs. Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Yes.  See blog entry.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Solutions-to-Quickly-Resolve-Your-Billing-Issues/ba-p/903833

--Cinn

Edited to add:  Just as a side note.  By posting the entire legit email from LL on a public forum, you have actually given people a tool to use to create a phishing scam.  Fortunately, there is nothing in the email that links to anything. 

Yes that sounds real, a lot of people on the beta testing of the new system have had problems and it is causing their accounts to go into debt through tier payments etc because of failures in the system, so LL are taking them off of the test system for now until it is working properly.

See FJ Lindens blog here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Solutions-to-Quickly-Resolve-Your-Billing-Issues/ba-p/903833

Well the only thing that I can say is that it is wise to NEVER click on a link in an email -- one that takes to to your billing history seems a very big gamble. I would contact the billing department with the live chat feature (I am guessing you are premium since you are getting billed) and ask them what is going on. If you need to update your payment info, then do it from opening the webpage in your browser, NOT from the email. That way you know you are actually at Linden Labs.

So, ask someone OFFICIAL and be CAREFUL. Sounds like you are careful and that is a good thing. Good luck.

Ah, I see that someone knew the info and that is good. I stand by that never clicking on an email URL though *wink*. Cheers.

• Like 1

Here's another way to find out. These phone numbers for LL are legitimate.  Call one and ask.

Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance

LL's Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Local Toll-Free numbers

* France: 0805.101.490
* Germany: 0800.664.5510
* Japan: 0066.33.132.830
* Portugal: 800.814.450
* Spain: 800.300.560
* UK: 0800.048.4646
* Support is in English Only

• Like 1

Linden Lab think I am a delinquent too :smileysurprised: I'm hoping I will get away with community hours and not be sent to The Haven.

On a more serious note, yes it's genuine. I received that email yesterday. Your friend should have received another email around the 12th May from Linden Lab about being on the local currency Beta system.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.