5G and HOTSPOT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay here it goes. I just got the new Samsung Galaxy S21 phone. I use my mobile hotspot off my phone to play SL. Before I would use my Samsung Galaxy S9 hotspot and it would power SL fine. But now when i try to use my hotspot from my S21 which is 5G it wont even load SL. I even turned my hotspot on that phone down to the 2.4 GHz like my s9 i was using. I use the view Firestorm. 

Any help would be appreciated so much! Thanks. 

I'm not sure as SL is not supported for those type of connections,  maybe some one else has used them like that.   but the way speeds go from tower to tower, since the phone is jumping constantly on it's connection from tower to tower and depends on the loads at that time,  and how much the companies that own the towers have going into them from their own backhauled fiber.    so many varibles. 

I have used my S10+ as a hotspot for SL. It works, but I can only get a 4G signal where I live, so it's something like 5 or 6 Mbps down and 2 or 3 up. But it does work. I cannot think of any reason why a 5G connection would do anything other than improve the speed of the connection substantially.

Edited by Odaks

On 5/21/2021 at 4:24 PM, Odaks said:

I have used my S10+ as a hotspot for SL. It works, but I can only get a 4G signal where I live, so it's something like 5 or 6 Mbps down and 2 or 3 up. But it does work. I cannot think of any reason why a 5G connection would do anything other than improve the speed of the connection substantially.

yeah ive been using my 4g hotspot on my phone for years now and its not a problem. It connects. but now that I have it on the 5g its not. :(

• 3 months later...

I also have a Samsung S21, and was able to log into SL for weeks with no problem, then in the last couple months only it wouldn't work. It kept getting stuck on "waiting for region handshake". I tried everything. Using another viewer, another laptop, tweaking every one of my settings, turning off firewalls, moving to a different spot, nothing would work. I could still get blazing fast 5G speed in my browser. I could also log into SL using the Lumiya app. But I couldn't get into SL thorugh my laptop. 

Today FINALLY I was able to get in after making the following changes to my phone. I just logged out and logged back in three times successfully so it looks like this really works. 

Go to "Settings", then "Connections", then "Mobile Hotspot and Tethering", put your finger on "Mobile Hotspot" for a moment and let go, so you see the options there. Make sure Security is set to "WPA2-Personal", Band is set to "5 GHz preferred" , the MAC address type is set to "Phone MAC", and "Support Wi-Fi 6 standard" is on. That's all I changed and now it works. 

BTW, to respond to someone above, SL doesn't use as much data as you think. In a typical evening, maybe 300 mb or so, if I travel to a couple new places, and keep my streaming media off. Obviously if you are playing region music and/or videos, and teleporting around a lot, that will add to the data. If you stay at a familiar place thats already loaded in your cache, and keep all media off, the data used will be considerably less.  

Edited by Rohan Dockal

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.