No Search, Profile, Help, etc (media_plugin_cef)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tech details:  iMac 2011, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, OS X 10.9.5

I've been away for a LONG time! Last time (briefly 2017, otherwise 2014) I was using the Singularity Viewer, but now I don't rezz in it and much of my inventory is missing. So I finally bit the bullet and downloaded the latest SL Viewer. When I first launched, it said “media_plugin_cef missing” (etc). I couldn't proceed until I clicked “Don't show this again” and relaunched, then I was in.

Once in, my inventory was (more or less) present and much was working fine. However, Search is blank, so are Profiles, all Help windows, and maybe other things too? This - I think? - is to do with the plugin being missing, but as this happened on my very first launch of the SL Viewer it cannot have become corrupted.

I've changed my Firewall to “Allow incoming connections” for the SL Viewer but it hasn't made any difference.

Anyone got any ideas? (And please don't tell me to upgrade my OS - I use Mavericks from choice and apart from the items mentioned, SL seems to work well enough!)

I assume that this Firestorm wiki page may be a little helpful even for the original Second Life Viewer - in short: enable plugins and JavaScript in preferences, clear privacy history, check antivirus... you may also want to re-download the viewer installer and make sure that SL Plugin is in the package. You may also want to peek in here...

You may also want to check:

Edited by panterapolnocy

1 hour ago, Tid Kidd said:

And please don't tell me to upgrade my OS

Well dang. There goes my first suggestion.

SL uses a version of chromium embedded framework called "Dullahan Host" that handles all the stuff that's not working on your Mac. A bit of poking around suggests CEF needs at least El Capitan to run. 

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Well dang. There goes my first suggestion.

SL uses a version of chromium embedded framework called "Dullahan Host" that handles all the stuff that's not working on your Mac. A bit of poking around suggests CEF needs at least El Capitan to run. 

Oh dear. That is not good. The SL minimum requirements say “OS X 10.9”, yet you seem to say it’s 10.11 after all?

43 minutes ago, Tid Kidd said:

Oh dear. That is not good. The SL minimum requirements say “OS X 10.9”, yet you seem to say it’s 10.11 after all?

I'm not positive, but I'd bet that's the problem. I have a MacBook with Mavericks on it I can try, but I don't think I'm smart enough to make it work.

The system requirements page is not very accurate and is badly in need of a complete revision.

• Like 1

I spoke too soon.  😔 😢

Although everything is functional in Kokua, I've discovered the same problem that existed in Singularity: the movement keys will stick down (e.g. forward/ back/ turn) and you can't stop walking / running / flying.

I'll have to go back to the SL Viewer despite its limitations.

7 hours ago, Tid Kidd said:

I spoke too soon.  😔 😢

Although everything is functional in Kokua, I've discovered the same problem that existed in Singularity: the movement keys will stick down (e.g. forward/ back/ turn) and you can't stop walking / running / flying.

I'll have to go back to the SL Viewer despite its limitations.

How are the keys sticking a viewer issue?

12 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

How are the keys sticking a viewer issue?

I'm not talking about keyboards! I mean the Walk/Run/Fly keys in the viewer - but actually, using the arrow keys to move has the same effect. However, you can see the effect more easily if you open the W/R/F controls, and you see the relevant key is purple (i.e. is in effect) but when you click it, it doesn't change, it stays purple and your avatar keeps moving.

Pressing ‘Command’ on my keyboard does have the effect of stopping my avatar moving, but it’s only temporary - as soon as I release Command, I start moving again.

As I say - I noticed this happen in Singularity as well as Kokua, but NOT in the official viewer.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tid Kidd said:

I'm not talking about keyboards! I mean the Walk/Run/Fly keys in the viewer - but actually, using the arrow keys to move has the same effect. However, you can see the effect more easily if you open the W/R/F controls, and you see the relevant key is purple (i.e. is in effect) but when you click it, it doesn't change, it stays purple and your avatar keeps moving.

Pressing ‘Command’ on my keyboard does have the effect of stopping my avatar moving, but it’s only temporary - as soon as I release Command, I start moving again.

As I say - I noticed this happen in Singularity as well as Kokua, but NOT in the official viewer.

Still, I'd think it's not a viewer problem in general, but more related to your specific system environment, using an older operating system, and how that specific environment reacts to specific viewer functionality.  I use the Kokua viewer, and have been for the past  several years, and have not had any issue with the operation of the movement keys and avatar movement.

22 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Still, I'd think it's not a viewer problem in general, but more related to your specific system environment, using an older operating system, and how that specific environment reacts to specific viewer functionality.  I use the Kokua viewer, and have been for the past  several years, and have not had any issue with the operation of the movement keys and avatar movement.

You may be right . For now I'll use the main viewer, and log an alt in via Kokua as / when I need Search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.