How to get permission to do terraforming purchased land?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have purchased land that needs more space at the ban line to build a (brick wall).

The front of my parcel is where the ban line is, to auto return the brick wall I desire to build.

It is apparent that terraforming the land to make space at the ban line, so the wall won't auto-return & stay in place is the next thing to do.

Messages say I don't have permission to do terraforming  my purchased land, when I try to (edit terrain). 

Who & where grants permission to do terraforming land?

Permission to Terraform Land-Pt1.PNG

permission to terraform land-Pt2.PNG

Edited by ral61
screenshot insert for upload
  • Sad 1

6 answers to this question

it can be you get too close to the neighbours land, and the system sees it as you try to terraform his part.
You don't have to ask anyone to get rights, it's a per parcel setting, and you automaticly get it when owning a parcel ( not when renting, than your landlord has to give it to the grouptitle you get from him) In general nearly everybody turns the per parcel off for others.

What is also visisble, your land is already quite higher as the neighbour, so it can be you are close to the max limit of + 4 / - 4 what is set as limit at nearly all mainland regions.
Raising land doesnt really make a bigger distance to the parcelborder ( banline or not) but you see it clearer.

If your  neighbour has autoreturn enabled, keep your items fully within the lines, not just ón the line,

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing that may prove helpful is to toggle on World / Show / Property Lines (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-P) if you haven't been using that already.

The error message you've seen includes the name of the parcel that you're not allowed to terraform—"Jeogeot Gulf" here, the protected Linden land to the east of your parcel.

Now, different people have different visions of their land, but if it were me, I'd lose all the "railing" fencing -- they're super high prim (9 Land Impact per object) so they use a lot of the parcel's capacity, and they also make the parcel appear much smaller than it really is—especially with that beautiful stretch of protected land, uninterrupted all the way to the shore.

Also personally, I'd start by terraforming that eastern edge of your land to "Revert" it to match that neighboring region, then select the rest and lower/flatten it to approximate the (uneven) height of that reverted edge, then smooth where that edge strip and flat part of the parcel meet. As Alwin mentions, the ±4m limit may constrain the level of the flattened part so I'd make that as small as necessary to fit a house. (That sounds complicated, but it's easy once you get used to "painting" with the terraforming tools.) The objective would be to make your parcel seem a natural extension of the shoreline land to the east, flattening only the barest minimum necessary to plant a house, and then dealing the edges with the other neighbors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

One thing that may prove helpful is to toggle on World / Show / Property Lines (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-P) if you haven't been using that already.

The error message you've seen includes the name of the parcel that you're not allowed to terraform—"Jeogeot Gulf" here, the protected Linden land to the east of your parcel.

Now, different people have different visions of their land, but if it were me, I'd lose all the "railing" fencing -- they're super high prim (9 Land Impact per object) so they use a lot of the parcel's capacity, and they also make the parcel appear much smaller than it really is—especially with that beautiful stretch of protected land, uninterrupted all the way to the shore.

Also personally, I'd start by terraforming that eastern edge of your land to "Revert" it to match that neighboring region, then select the rest and lower/flatten it to approximate the (uneven) height of that reverted edge, then smooth where that edge strip and flat part of the parcel meet. As Alwin mentions, the ±4m limit may constrain the level of the flattened part so I'd make that as small as necessary to fit a house. (That sounds complicated, but it's easy once you get used to "painting" with the terraforming tools.) The objective would be to make your parcel seem a natural extension of the shoreline land to the east, flattening only the barest minimum necessary to plant a house, and then dealing the edges with the other neighbors.

As the screenshot shows, the neighbor has rock formation extending on my parcel to confuse terraforming. 

10 minutes ago, ral61 said:

As the screenshot shows, the neighbor has rock formation extending on my parcel to confuse terraforming. 

if you don't like those, ask him to remove, and if he doesn't.... right click and return  :)  .. it will be gone ( but not a real good thing to keep friends...lol )
If it really encroaches, it will be possible for you to remove it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Yeah, I was at the location early this morning and saw the neighbor's rock formation. They definitely encroach, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about it, at least not at first. Instead I'd terraform my own parcel as nicely as possible with the neighbor's rocks sticking up, then contact them and ask if they wouldn't rather do without the rocks. They're a huge linked assembly, 12 Land Impact worth, underlying that whole parcel, so if they got returned it would leave a much uglier mess than the encroaching rocks. Also, just looking at how the other neighbor built, I'm guessing that whatever was on your parcel before you bought it presented quite a challenging view, and I suspect the rock formation is just left over from an attempt to cope with whatever was there before. (Point is, the neighbor might be relieved to have a sensible owner of your parcel now, and might be happy to cooperate as long as it's evident the result will improve everybody's land.

Why is it above the land on either side?  It looks a bit odd like that.  @Qie Niangao's suggestion about leveling it out makes the most sense and would be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.  As far as the rocks encroaching, definitely try talking with the neighbor first.  They could easily shrink them back within their boundaries without upsetting too much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.