AMD System and SL Extremly low performance! Help Please.

keilfur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello today I noticed sl has started to totally tank in the frames I get. I cannot get above 5/10 frames anywhere, and before i was getting 40+ on firestorm in most areas.

My system

Ryzen 5 3600

Radeon 5700xt

32gb 3200 ram

I have not made any changes to my system or settings. I have no performance issues in any other games. When logging in today i noticed how crappy it was running, ive tried literally everything at this point. Ive DDU reinstalled all my viewers etc Please help!

I have heard amd cards dont work well with the sl because of open gl but as of today it is almost unplayable.

7 answers to this question

Avatar > Preferences > Graphics > General > Shaders > Transparent Water <----- Uncheck...  You should notice an improvement in AMD frame rates in seconds to minutes.

Running on AMD as well, once you do this your frame rates in heavy populated areas should jump by 10 fps maybe more.

Your machine is definitely not the problem to begin with.

After trying that then go to " Draw Distance "  reduce it to where you feel it is acceptable and your fps improve but try the first solution.

Something about every SIM has water underneath it, even if it is tiled over by something like Land for example.

Good Luck

Edited by 4gunny1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, keilfur said:

Hello today I noticed sl has started to totally tank in the frames I get. I cannot get above 5/10 frames anywhere, and before i was getting 40+ on firestorm in most areas.

My system

Ryzen 5 3600

Radeon 5700xt

32gb 3200 ram

I have not made any changes to my system or settings. I have no performance issues in any other games. When logging in today i noticed how crappy it was running, ive tried literally everything at this point. Ive DDU reinstalled all my viewers etc Please help!

I have heard amd cards dont work well with the sl because of open gl but as of today it is almost unplayable.

Any chance you just installed an EEP viewer?  Lots of people reporting a huge change in FPS with that "improvement".  Also is this everywhere or a specific sim?   That does matter too.  If "yes" to the EEP viewer you might roll back to a non-eep viewer (the BOM viewer was the last non-EEP I think but not sure.  We can only hope that things improve.  

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Any chance you just installed an EEP viewer? 

On the stock viewer, EEP presents a ~20% performance hit depending on hardware.

The OP's hardware is more than sufficient .. it's better than most TPV devs have!

On 3/26/2021 at 11:29 PM, keilfur said:

Contact FS support. My initial suspicion would be an automatic driver update has sunk your battleship.

15 hours ago, 4gunny1 said:

Avatar > Preferences > Graphics > General > Shaders > Transparent Water <----- Uncheck...  You should notice an improvement in AMD frame rates in seconds to minutes.

Running on AMD as well, once you do this your frame rates in heavy populated areas should jump by 10 fps maybe more.

Considering that said Transparent Water option automatically turns off the Advanced Lighting Model, for my liking that's absolutely not worth 10 fps plus. At least it does that in Firestorm and I guess in pretty much any other viewer.

"Seconds to minutes" also sounds suspicious. Either an option does limit your performance or it doesn't. It won't take "minutes" to adjust to it.

Anyway...

@OP: are you sure it's the GPU? How does your CPU perform?

@Lillith HapmoucheI am only trying to help the OP above.
If you'd take time to test to see how it really changes your FPS in heavy trafficed areas, you might just tell the difference.
10 FPS is just a guess depending on the type of populated area you are in. When I, am in London SOHO instead of running at 7 or so I am running at 15 fps or more and it is heavily trafficed. Out in Linden Realms I, used to get 20 or so FPS now I, get 100 to 50 FPS...

Ryzen 5 3600 <--- His CPU is plenty enough to handle it.

Cache Memory
8 MB, 32 MB, 35 MB, 36 MB
Clock Speed
3.6 GHz
Features
Supports Overclocking
Manufacturer
AMD
Number of Cores
Six-core

General

Release Date
June 2019
Socket Type
Socket AM4
TDP
65 watts

Radeon 5700xt <---- His GPU should handle it like a champ.

Cooling Type
Active
Features
VR Ready
Manufacturer
PowerColor
Power Connectors
8-pin
Type
Graphics Card

General

Video Memory Type
GDDR6
Chipset
AMD
Interface
PCI Express
Length
9 in
Output
DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA
Video Memory
8 GB

32gb 3200 ram <--- more than enough ram for this game

Its not his GPU and it is not his CPU.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.