Small bother - (almost) always TP'ing to ground level

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello folks - first post on this forum.

I've been in SL a couple of years now; my love and I just adore it. We love to shop and regularly bounce around to Fifty Linden Fridays and other events. One thing however is mildly annoying and I thought I ought to ask about it here - meaning she reminded me that I should, of course. ;)

The issue is that often when I teleport, regardless of the landing point's location I land on a region's ground level. In a store such as Jian or D-lab (two of our favourites) where the mainstore is in the sky, I wind up under water. It even happens when I TP to her land which is where we basically live all the time.

I'm assuming this is a familiar issue for some people - Jian even has TP's up to the mainstore for people who arrive on ground level. 

Is there a fix for this? Thanks. :)

• Like 1

That should not happen if you are teleporting with a landmark or by using a direct SLURL.  If you are using your Map view to teleport, though, you do need to enter the exact coordinates, including the Z (height) component into the map's coordinate controls before you click the Teleport button. Sometimes, with some viewers, you have to hit the Enter key after you have typed numbers into those coordinate boxes and before you click Teleport.  If you don't, the numbers that you typed aren't in memory yet.  The Z value that you typed in will actually be read as ZERO, which will drop you at ground level (or on the sea floor).

Hello @Rolig Loon, thanks for such a prompt reply. 

I totally understand I should arrive at the TP location; the problem is that that does not happen all the time - hence the question. In general, we use stores' (or other regions) landmarks to teleport and as often as not, I arrive at groundlevel regardless of the LM - my love uses it at the same time and she always arrives at the correct spot.

While I use coordinates to move around on her land (usually when we're decorating) I've never done so teleporting from region to region - so it's a bit odd, then.

Thanks. :)

10 minutes ago, FlingWingFlyer said:

Hello @Rolig Loon, thanks for such a prompt reply. 

I totally understand I should arrive at the TP location; the problem is that that does not happen all the time - hence the question. In general, we use stores' (or other regions) landmarks to teleport and as often as not, I arrive at groundlevel regardless of the LM - my love uses it at the same time and she always arrives at the correct spot.

While I use coordinates to move around on her land (usually when we're decorating) I've never done so teleporting from region to region - so it's a bit odd, then.

Thanks. :)

*looks at your name and chuckles at the irony*

Sorry, nothing to add but I couldn't help myself.  I hope you get it sorted out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlingWingFlyer said:

In general, we use stores' (or other regions) landmarks to teleport and as often as not, I arrive at groundlevel regardless of the LM

That is definitely odd.  I wish I had a good answer.  Maybe if I sleep on it ..........

4 hours ago, FlingWingFlyer said:

Jian even has TP's up to the mainstore for people who arrive on ground level. 

Jian Pets?  Her main store is on ground level, and has a fixed arrival point:

https://i.gyazo.com/b7ca0cd7c5cdb2a7b2116bbb963936d2.png

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Jian/239/236/24

Her legacy store is on a platform, and you need make your own LM to it, after using the Legacy store sign in the main store:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Jian/212/224/1201

She also has an underwater LM in Search, although the place is empty on an adjacent region, so you land underwater if you use JianII : 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Jian II/128/128/2

There is one oddity I have noticed on my mainland parcel. If I first log in and go  to another location, other than my skybox Home, and then use my skybox LM, I am sent to the  land level under the skybox.  But that is because I have my land set to a landing point at land level.  But I am using the skybox LM, 3500 meters higher. However on further LM's back to my skybox it sends me to the skybox LM.  Only if I log off and back in will it ignore the skybox LM and take me to the landing point at 29 meters, but only the first time.   The parcel land is assigned to my group and I am the owner.  Maybe that is expected behaviour, but I've never see it documented.  And I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue.

When I tried any of the above LM's for Jian, it always takes me to the correct location.  Jian does have a fixed arrival point too, as mentioned, at 24 meters for the main store, but I just noticed the Teleport Routing is set to Anywhere. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
added to last sentence :)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FlingWingFlyer said:

I'm assuming this is a familiar issue for some people - Jian even has TP's up to the mainstore for people who arrive on ground level. 

Is there a fix for this? Thanks. :)

I do not think it is familiar - I am "always" weekend shopping. I use Seraphimsl, go to the Gallery page they provide, and use the slurl there. I don't shop Jian everytime is is a weekend offer, but recently I bought sharks, and I came direct in the store.

I can end up under water, or in wrong place, when I use landmarks from my inventory. So I have started to delete landmarks with a hard hand. Stores move, or the owner redecorate and move the shop.  It has happened once that I used the store owner picks in their profile, and it was sending me to a wrong place. That must be because they forgot to update their profile, I think.

So if it happens often, and with a store like Jian, that puzzles me. It is not a setting under preferences in your viewer, to force teleport at landing point? I have not looked for it.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a word

In Search, the first Teleport to Jian store is at 128,128,0 or on the very bottom of the ocean floor for Jian region.

The next few search results for Jian list the correct LM for the land level store.

I suspect you have some old LM's you are using, and they all have the same name of course.

• Thanks 1

The way that Landing Points work can be a bit mysterious. This was discussed at length in another post (somewhere in the Technical Forum) not so long ago. After some practical testing, we discovered that generally everyone gets scooped up by the Landing Point if arriving from outside of the parcel/region. IF your group permissions allow you to "ignore the Landing Point", you will still get scooped up by the landing Point on first arrival, but there will be a short period following that where you could tp out and then back in to a personal Landmark and NOT get scooped up by the Landing Point. Things can be different for other types of entry and I won't bog things down with all the details because there is sufficient reason to suggest that the OP's problem is all down to Landing Points being set.

Ending up underwater is a strange effect though. There must be something we don't know, something maybe the OP hasn't even realised is at work?

Edited by Odaks
Afterthought

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue, people who used my landmark and got sent to ground level. After reading the above post, i realized I had the teleport routing to my landing point, that just so happened to be on the ground. I just set it to anywhere, and it fixed the problem for those using my landmarks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.