Question related to flagged market listings

Doc Carling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was informed that some of my listings were flagged as "non-item listings". Well, these listings offered notecards with downloads adresses (pictures). Actually I deleted the download location and forgot to remove the listings. Not very smart, I admit. So to flag them was totally correctly. Anyway, I thought someone purchased the items, then noticed there is no download address and flagged them. To refund the money to the buyer I checked my order history for his/her name. But I had to learn none of the items  was sold in the last 2 months.  And here is my question: if the person which flagged the listings didn't buy the download addresses, how could he/she know that the download location doesn't exist anymore?

Edited by Doc Carling

On 1/13/2021 at 11:53 AM, Doc Carling said:

if the person which flagged the listings didn't buy the download addresses, how could he/she know that the download location doesn't exist anymore?

Initial thought is that they were flagged because of some other reason.

*Thinking aloud* I haven't seen your ad of course, but my second thought is that the other reason may be notecard-only in the box. 

In the past I have seen ads that said in the body of the text the box included notecards only (to a download url).  And at that moment in time as a shopper only I thought hmmmph, that seems frightfully close to no merchandise in the box perhaps TOS grey area hmmm... and of course I moved on.   

One learns as a shopper pretty quick how fast download urls go bad or abandoned *its painful* even when buying from very big name very reliable producers of full perm stuff (several names come to mind as I type, God love 'em).  Admittedly as a human of several decades now online, its a huge job to keep up with all the websites one has dropped stuff into all over the place and download stashes online... I mean, could I actually recall (and keep up with) what I posted when I made that ages old Myspace page?? lol

Anywho... in my case as a shopper I would have never given any additional thought to flagging an ad for that reason.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else might interpret *notecard/url only* as "no stuff in the box" if your ad text says there is only a notecard with url in the box.

*Conjecture:  Vast majority of those things I buy at MP these days that have URLs (most now) I suspect have found a way to remove this possibility, by including textures or other bits in the box with the notecard, so that some actual value for the Lindens spent is present in the box at purchase and value does not rely entirely on an external website that may/not actually be available to the buyer. 

Edited by Kyrie Deka
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:53 AM, Doc Carling said:

I was informed that some of my listings were flagged as "non-item listings". Well, these listings offered notecards with downloads adresses (pictures).

If all you are selling is a note card to a RL website offering pictures there, then it IS technically a no-item listing.  We had someone else awhile back wanting to do the same thing and his listing was removed for the same reason.  Only a note card for a RL product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pictures weren't free. I wanted to offer them in original size and quality. Because SL pictures get compressed and resized. Yes, there was actually I notecard in the box. I thought that would be no problem. I mean what about all the listings which are offering skin or clothes templates downloads from third party servers? I loaded many of those down. Just recently I purchased for example a package of full perm skins for 5,000. And there was only a notecard with the download adress in the box. Only a rethoric question.

Edited by Doc Carling

2 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

The pictures weren't free. I wanted to offer them in original size and quality. Because SL pictures get compressed and resized. Yes, there was actually I notecard in the box. I thought that would be no problem. I mean what about all the listings which are offering skin or clothes templates downloads from third party servers? I loaded many of those down. Just recently I purchased for example a package of full perm skins for 5,000. And there was only a notecard with the download adress in the box. Only a rethoric question.

They would seem like no item listing also.  Perhaps asking support?  As @Kyrie Dekamentioned, no one is receiving anything tangible besides a note card and websites disappear every day.  All they are actually buying is a notecard with a link to an offsite website.  Selling them from a link on your profile might be a better option as I don't think there are rules concerning that as there are on the MP.

Also, since the pictures could not be uploaded to SL without being compressed, they would receive nothing like the original in SL.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Also, since the pictures could not be uploaded to SL without being compressed, they would receive nothing like the original in SL.

Much better looking Originals though. I thought it would be a good idea. Because the pictures are meant for collectors and not to be used in SL. Well, I understand what you mean. Right now I'm browsing the market for skin templates. I found a few listings which very clear say "You get a notecard with a download link." Anyway,  I think it's pointless to start a discussion with Linden about market rules. I just drop the idea. At least I have an explanation now why the items got flagged at the first place. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Doc Carling said:

Much better looking Originals though. I thought it would be a good idea. Because the pictures are meant for collectors and not to be used in SL. Well, I understand what you mean. Right now I'm browsing the market for skin templates. I found a few listings which very clear say "You get a notecard with a download link." Anyway,  I think it's pointless to start a discussion with Linden about market rules. I just drop the idea. At least I have an explanation now why the items got flagged at the first place. Thank you.

The difference with those download links for skin templates are that they will be used and uploaded into SL or rather used in SL at some point in time.  They are not purely a RL item.  That's my guess.  It's the same with raw terrain files.  The file is delivered to your email to be used in SL only.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

they will be used and uploaded into SL or rather used in SL at some point in time

I don't know. I mean it is not forbidden that they upload the pictures to SL and use them there. Anyway,  one can only guess, what you said. 

17 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

...not to be used in SL...

I'd call that a no item listing for sure. They get nothing of value in the box and nothing intended for use in SL from the link.

That's the definition of a no item listing.

Easy fix, upload the pics to SL, include them in the box with a link to the HiRez version. Boom, problem solved.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Greetings, All!

Based on the comments in this thread, the items would be removed for being Non Items - Real World Goods or Services

If you have Email Notifications enabled for actions on a listing, then you should have been sent an email with the additional information on why the item or items were removed. 

The way to get around the restriction in the Listing Guidelines, is to sell the in world images themselves so that the buyer gets the picture in world, and then include a notecard that is delivered with the items that includes a link to the web delivery portal where the buyer can download the high quality version of the image as well, if they want. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.