Movement Speed Enhancer

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depends what kind of movement you want to achieve. Just free walking/running, but faster? Impulse/push or setfoce could be fine, just adjust for their mass.

Another very consistent way to move avatars is llMoveToTarget. It doesn't care about the mass of an object and it can be used to create strong pushes (like dashes or "superjumps") or even smooth flight.

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It doesn't care about the mass of an object

It does care, but apparently the effects of mass on llMoveToTarget() have been weakened versus years past as a 10^3 cube still moves to my location easily unless I change density to Osmium level.

llSetVelocity() would be a better candidate for "not caring", heh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

llSetVelocity() will force an object/avatar to the velocity given and is by far the most reliable for maintaining a set speed.

Something to note however is that, for avatars, movement is heavily restricted by the engine and you will need to constantly reapply the desired speed. In addition, in damage-enabled lands, the friction from this and whatever the avatar is standing on is enough to kill the user.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:50 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

What is the best and most accurate method for increasing someone’s movement speed?

Get on a vehicle.

There's an F-16 on Marketplace, and it maxes out around 130m/sec. At one region crossing every 2 seconds, something usually breaks within a few minutes, but it does work. For road travel, it's quite possible to drive 30m/sec on Linden roads, and faster on long straightaways. You have to do some things to increase vehicle downforce, as in real life.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:15 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Depends what kind of movement you want to achieve. Just free walking/running, but faster? Impulse/push or setfoce could be fine, just adjust for their mass.

Another very consistent way to move avatars is llMoveToTarget. It doesn't care about the mass of an object and it can be used to create strong pushes (like dashes or "superjumps") or even smooth flight.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:05 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

It does care, but apparently the effects of mass on llMoveToTarget() have been weakened versus years past as a 10^3 cube still moves to my location easily unless I change density to Osmium level.

llSetVelocity() would be a better candidate for "not caring", heh.

Sorry. Had so much on in RL and with SL projects that I forgot about this.

Yeah its the best method for increasing running and walking speed but taking into account peoples mass so that each persons speed increase is more or less the same.

There are a couple of functions such as llGetMass and llGetMassMKS that I have played around with but my query was....what is the best method and combination of functions. llGetmassMKS seems to be more accurate. But then I wondered if llGetObjectMass should be used in conjunction with it somewhere?.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

what is the best method and combination of functions

if you have a spare 99L then might want to buy Argent Stonecutter's Flight Feather and Cyberflight scripts.  They are full permissions scripts and are in the Argent's Dock vendor to the north of the landing point

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Noonkkot/60/10/49

Flight Feather was written back in the day primarily to allow an agent to fly above 256 meters when the sky ceiling was only this high. Is an LSL-scripted engine that simulates agent movement. We can learn quite a bit about agent movement, best practices, etc from studying these scripts

3 hours ago, animats said:

I have a free flight feather I got at some disused college sim. Don't have a landmark for where to get it, though.

is lots of copies of the flight feather script floating about for sure.  The 99L is more a thank you Argent for doing this for us

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.