BOM Skin question

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I am mostly looking for some clarification on the BOM skins.

As I understand it, the BOM uses a standard that applies to all heads/bodies regardless of the maker. Is this true?

I have been head shopping the last few weeks, grabbed a LeL while it was on sale. got the free Genus and I am really in love with the new CATWA heads as well ( might be my fave.)

The Skin I use now, the maker seems a tad behind and only had a few BOM for heads, mostly Genus. I have used it on the CATWA demo and TBH, i cant see any problems.. but i am not a super detailed person so I am sure there were flaws i may have missed.

Would It be ok to just find a bod skin I like and a head skin that matches from the same maker in BOM and use them regardless of what head/body they were made for?

25 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

Ok, I am mostly looking for some clarification on the BOM skins.

As I understand it, the BOM uses a standard that applies to all heads/bodies regardless of the maker. Is this true?

I have been head shopping the last few weeks, grabbed a LeL while it was on sale. got the free Genus and I am really in love with the new CATWA heads as well ( might be my fave.)

The Skin I use now, the maker seems a tad behind and only had a few BOM for heads, mostly Genus. I have used it on the CATWA demo and TBH, i cant see any problems.. but i am not a super detailed person so I am sure there were flaws i may have missed.

Would It be ok to just find a bod skin I like and a head skin that matches from the same maker in BOM and use them regardless of what head/body they were made for?

If you're happy with the results go for it. Differences between heads and bodies are real, but they're quite small and may not always be noticeable. If you're using a skin made for another head you might want to drop by "Izzie's" - they have a lot of wearable skin add-ons that can correct small glitches like you may end up with in that situation.

40 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

Most of the time this will work. Sometimes though the body skins haven't been updated with the newer version to match new head say.  There are various ways that skins are sold now and that makes it particularly confusing ^^.  For example 7DS skins come as a full body just like in the olden days so you wear that body skin icon and it applies to both head and body at the same time. Super easy.  Insol which I am wearing now has the "skin" as JUST the body and you wear a tattoo layer for the head (same maker but I had to buy both packs).  WoW uses the tattoo head method too and I think that has something to do with some HD heads but not sure.

Anyway the important thing to do is be sure and DEMO DEMO DEMO before you buy using the body and head you have decided on (or maybe between two top contenders).  Even when you buy from the same maker you can have nasty seams so being alert is important.  The designation of LAQ or Genus or Catwa is what the skin was modeled on and most of the time it doesn't matter, but I found a head  recently that was evidently not made "to standard" and there was no way to get the skin to look good on that head.   

Personally I like the all in one on a skin layer option but we have to go with what our choices are :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Most of the time this will work. Sometimes though the body skins haven't been updated with the newer version to match new head say.  There are various ways that skins are sold now and that makes it particularly confusing ^^.  For example 7DS skins come as a full body just like in the olden days so you wear that body skin icon and it applies to both head and body at the same time. Super easy.  Insol which I am wearing now has the "skin" as JUST the body and you wear a tattoo layer for the head (same maker but I had to buy both packs).  WoW uses the tattoo head method too and I think that has something to do with some HD heads but not sure.

Anyway the important thing to do is be sure and DEMO DEMO DEMO before you buy using the body and head you have decided on (or maybe between two top contenders).  Even when you buy from the same maker you can have nasty seams so being alert is important.  The designation of LAQ or Genus or Catwa is what the skin was modeled on and most of the time it doesn't matter, but I found a head  recently that was evidently not made "to standard" and there was no way to get the skin to look good on that head.   

Personally I like the all in one on a skin layer option but we have to go with what our choices are :D.  

yeah, i have a few from 7DS and i love the whole body thing. I also have some from Skinnery? I think. The one I have used is from Pink Fuel, I got their BOM for both the Laura and my Legacy, but the head skin I use is only applier.

1 hour ago, Sorciaa said:

While this is true, there are enough differences, especially between head brands and models, that you're typically going to have some areas that don't quite match up correctly. As long as you realize this while you are demoing the skins you won't be disappointed that some skins simply will not work well on certain brands and yet be flawless on other brands. As was suggested you can shop at Izzie's for many inexpensive fixes for these situations. Be sure to demo skins using those fixes to be certain you can find a correction before buying a skin though.

• Like 1

You can wear any BOM skin with any mesh head, but sometimes they don't look right.

Here's an example of a non-Catwa skin on a Catwa head; note how the inner eye corners are dragged down the side of the nose? That's because all heads are not equal.

1641169376_catwaeyefix1_001.thumb.jpg.e1be3457bc5d47a126557eda11adadd0.jpg

Other points to look for mismatches are the nostrils and ears.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.