Flexi mesh

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

In a word: no.

As a more complete explanation, the flexi system relies on the fact that prims inherently have a "spine" that we can flex in various directions. In addition, the flexi system is very inefficient (I recently performance tested it to be 5x slower than rendering normal prims under certain conditions).

The correct answer to moving and animating meshes is to use a skeletal system, whether allowing custom avatar skeletons (for attachments), or allowing non-avatar skeletons. This is a known feature request, but not one we will have the time to get to before the initial release of mesh.

Something like interactive cloth would be possible in SL meshes after release may be? I think no other software would gain more than SL from having interactive clothes , but I coudl see the problematics of many people weaing those kind of garments ...

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-InteractiveCloth.html

anyway something like that woudl be possible or doable in SL?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Even if there's a performance issue with flexi mesh, can't there at least be an option to enable it with higher graphics? Like how you can enable avatar physics.

I've heard about SecondLife 2 coming out in 2016. If it's true, will SL2 have more capabilities for that kind of stuff? I'd expect SL2 to be more next gen and capable of handling that stuff... Otherwise it wouldn't be worth going on SL2 in my opinion.

It will not be called "SL2". At the moment Linden Lab is referring to it as "Next Generation Platform".

It will not an upgrade to the present SL. It is a separate different world. Of course things will be more advanced there, else there would be no point to build a new platform at all. It is true that the new platform will open to public in 2016; then we will see how it looks.

• 2 months later...

and omite the song, the bad animation, and even the fact that are Disney characters... Focus on the clothes, especially in the clothes and hair physics. I'm not a guy of computer and programming (and less say physics and mathematics) but I still don't see how SL could not achieve that kind of graphic details...

SL has always had flexi mesh since way back in the beginning 2003. Still has

but LL decide to go with Advanced Lighting Model (windlight) way back when but not in the beginning. Which basically nerfed taking flexi mesh any further. Staff/resources and that probably

can see it if make a old school system avatar. With system mesh long hair and flare baggy pants and top sleeves. Turn off Advanced Lighting Model and Enable Avatar Cloth in the Prefs/Graphics

is a pity really that pretty pixels (windlight) was decided by LL to be more of interest to SL residents than advancing the flexi mesh core. Is pretty primitive the avatar cloth by todays standards, but SL avatar cloth was pretty much cutting edge back in the beginning

same the avatar editor. Is a pity about that also I think. That it wasnt ever advanced

Now that you mentioned it... I almost forgot. But still. current mesh hair and clothes couldn't get those properties, to interact with physics? I mean, can or cannot? All I see here is that LL doesn't care much about upgrading the graphic department ??? Maybe they don't see it as something 'worth' spending time, but since SL has no real goals (as a game or MMO) and the actual use that some people give it (snapshots and machinimas), developing in graphics would be a nailed thing to do... Isn't? I always say, little details make the difference.

is kinda doable meaning that the SL avatar also has a collision bones setup which has also been it it from the start. It was just never used for this purpose. Collisions

wasnt until a resident named Redpoly started to use it with mesh (as we know mesh attachments) today that LL took it up as fitted mesh

+

i think that is not going to be anything else done by LL with flexi mesh in SL. I think is going to be in the Project Sansar tho. Full-on cloth physics. Dunno for sure about this but I be surprised if it isnt. Will be #fail if it isnt

GatoUke wrote:

I see... Then I guess I should abandon all hope and just wait for the next platform? .-. Thanks for the reply tho

i probably wouldnt rule it out altogether. As I think if the existing flexi mesh core is advanced then it will be a opensource initiative. OpenSim even maybe most likely

at some point OpenSim will have to break from LL. Like break the dependency chains. The timing of Project Sansar going live is a obvious breaking point

+

altho my speculation is that one day (assuming all goes well with Sansar) then LL (or a seperate subsidiary more likely) will sponsor OpenSim. That SL will be their commercial opensim grid for people who want it as retail customers, but more as a way for LL to retain a much smaller SL grid as a living museum of interactive digital art

this speculation has more to do with the huge legacy asset database more than anything else

like the resident-owned assets. For example: If as a resident creator merchant and you had a zillion legacy things which cant automagically port to Sansar, and then one day you were given the opportunity to continue selling these thru a web marketplace (similar to other 3D asset marketplaces) to RL persons then I think quite a few SL merchants would go ok to that for their own stuff

selling to RL persons rather than to anonymous avatars. RL persons who buy your stuff for their own use according to the terms of your use license. Same like RL persons do now when they buy assets for use in their own games. In this case games/worlds based on the SL protocols

speculation meaning I have no idea of any actual truth in this. Am just thinking out loud 

+

eta: RL persons also meaning that such sales would be denominated in US$ and not L$

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.