Unable to edit my own objects

Mikeexie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am experiencing a problem in that I am prevented from editing my own objects, which i created and rezzed.  I created some lighting to go around a stage for a good friend of mine who was setting up a club... simple prim cylinders with a texture and transparency and glow effect.  Linked them together and positioned them in place... so nothing special there.  So that she could adjust the colors she wanted in them, I granted her permission through contacts to edit my objects.  A little later she wanted to link the stage and lights together to make a copy for backup, so I said I would take them back.  I tried to edit them, but I found that I could not take them, could not move them, and could not delete them.  If I right click to edit, the build panel is more or less grayed out so I can't even change the name of them.  I revoked the permission, logged in and out, and still have the same problem.  Neither she nor I can edit them now.  I looked online but I can't find any similar problems being reported.  I am using a MacBook Pro 2017, with Catalina 10.15.7 and Firestorm 6.3.9.58205.

Edited by Mikeexie
missed a word

1 hour ago, Mikeexie said:

I tried to edit them, but I found that I could not take them, could not move them, and could not delete them.  If I right click to edit, the build panel is more or less grayed out so I can't even change the name of them

You're sure that they haven't been locked? It could well be that once they had been positioned they were then locked to prevent accidental upsets.

2 hours ago, Mikeexie said:

A little later she wanted to link the stage and lights together to make a copy for backup, so I said I would take them back. 

if your friend had edit rights to objects rezzed by you (which were transferrable) and your friend linked your objects to their own objects, the ownership of your objects was transferred over to your friend. She now owns all of the objects, so you can't take them back or delete them without permissions.

In case that was confusing:

• you own an on object
  • the object is Transfer
  • your friend links that object to someone else's object
  • the object now belongs to someone else
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

You're sure that they haven't been locked? It could well be that once they had been positioned they were then locked to prevent accidental upsets.

I didn't lock them... as they were still work in progress

Have either of you deeded the object to the group? A deeded object will become group-owned, not owned by any avatar, so no-one will be able to edit it. If you need to remove it, you should be able to right click and "return" - however it won't be returned to anyone; deeded objects will disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Have either of you deeded the object to the group? A deeded object will become group-owned, not owned by any avatar, so no-one will be able to edit it. If you need to remove it, you should be able to right click and "return" - however it won't be returned to anyone; deeded objects will disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.

I have to deed my security orb to my land group and I'm able to edit and take it back into inventory.  I've never had anyone in the group try to return it so I'm not sure how that would work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.