Banned for negative review in MP?

Ultima Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Archivalda said:

Read again, SL youtube channel shadowban you if you say something they don't like.

What is "shadowbanning" on youtube supposed to be? And again, thats youtube, not Second Life, so completely off topic to this thread.

6 minutes ago, Archivalda said:

I'm not talking about insults.  Anything they don't like.  That's cancel culture right now and that's what's happening in society.  SL emulates RL in many aspects.  So it shouldn't have been shocking for me after 13 years in SL that these stupid politics entered. 

And what is the theme of this post: people cant just accept criticism.. and go ahead and cancel you, a whole community or whatever they want to.  A bunch of millennials that haven't face real world, like Evergreen University.

So most people in their late 20s and early 30s haven't faced reality yet? Ok... I'm feeling that you read way too much into this thread and now rant on based on something completely seperate. This thread is about a (supposedly new) option for merchants (Merchants = private users, not SL employees) to ban other users from their store, as sort of emulating the option to ban people from an inworld place. We don't know what age the merchant in this case is, but the general consense is, that on average, the userbase of SL tends to be a bit older than "general millennial age" and people, who banned inworld in all of SLs existance, largely could not have been millennials.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

I'm pretty sure that's never been a review process. Like ever.

Maybe not for you but whenever I had an issue I contact the merchant.  Case 1:  missing texture option in the hud.  Merchant had missed it, thanked me, fixed it, refunded me.  I get a free outfit and a gift card out of it.   Case 2:  Missing the top for the body I used from the pack.  Merchant again had overlooked it, apologised for the mistake, fixed it and again refunded me with lots of thanks 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Maybe not for you but whenever I had an issue I contact the merchant.  Case 1:  missing texture option in the hud.  Merchant had missed it, thanked me, fixed it, refunded me.  I get a free outfit and a gift card out of it.   Case 2:  Missing the top for the body I used from the pack.  Merchant again had overlooked it, apologised for the mistake, fixed it and again refunded me with lots of thanks 🤷‍♂️

That scenario is quite different than the one stated in OP. And yes it would be more productive to contact the vendor for something like that.

1 minute ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

That scenario is quite different than the one stated in OP. And yes it would be more productive to contact the vendor for something like that.

I can't see in the OP what the actual problem was with the product you purchased.  I just gave a couple of examples off the top of my head where I found contacting the merchant before a review sorted things easily.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I can't see in the OP what the actual problem was with the product you purchased.  I just gave a couple of examples off the top of my head where I found contacting the merchant before a review sorted things easily.  

2 hours ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

As someone who likes to buy things in this game it kind of rubs me the wrong way when a vendor name drops popular body brands when the item isn't actually fitted for either.

• Like 1

Past generations always thinking things just showed up like a quark.

Them kids didn't raise themselves.. There had to be generations beforehand that molded the generations they are bitchin about today..

The moral to the story...You reap what you sow.

Now before anyone say's, I didn't do it, it wadn't meh!!\o/..

Take that feeling and apply it to the current generation and put the wide stroking brush away.. because you can bet the whole generation isn't covered with whatever paint job you're putting on it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

As someone who likes to buy things in this game it kind of rubs me the wrong way when a vendor name drops popular body brands when the item isn't actually fitted for either.

Wouldn't that be apparent by trying a demo before purchase?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

So its the consumers fault. Are you one of the merchants that asked for this? Hmmm.

I am not a merchant anymore and when I was, I did not ask for this feature.  In this instance from what I have managed to gather from your posts I do think a demo before purchase would have saved you the merchants snap reaction of being banned.  

• Like 2

Good point. I honestly couldn't tell you if a demo was available or not. I indirectly stated the reason for the bad review since I intended to direct attention to the fact that this is an option for vendors. And how it could negatively effect them as well as other vendors who probably didn't need or ask for this option.

• Confused 1

Just now, Ultimo Constantineau said:

I indirectly stated the reason for the bad review since I intended to direct attention to the fact that this is an option for vendors. And how it could negatively effect them as well as other vendors who probably didn't need or ask for this option.

it doesn't negatively effect them, it's  choice théy make to use it or not.
(to avoid customers for placing bad reviews about expected features that aren't meant to be included for example)

• Like 1

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

you won't like to hear it, but YES

Sorry Alwin. You probably aren't used to this on the forums but I am actually an adult. I don't spew on the forums regularly. In fact. My last post on here was 3 years ago when I was selling a sim. Before that there's no posts by me.

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wow that was a bit silly for them to add that option, I think..  Now there will be pressure to only leave good reviews or risk banned from a store..

i don't know exactly for sure why, but as I mention I think the idea was that marketplace would be consistent with the other things

to be fair to Linden, a marketplace ban tool has been something that has been asked for by some merchants off and on ever since marketplace came online. And to be fair to those merchants there are some vexatious customers who abuse the review system for reasons that have nothing to do with the product

and with these vexatious customers then when they keep buying a merchant's stuff and continue to leave abusive reviews time after time then at some point the merchant should be able to say: We are done. No more. Go buy stuff from somebody else

is the same as in RL when have vexatious customers who continue to come into the store. The RL merchant ends up saying the same: We are done. No more. And trespass the vexatious person off the premises

like you say, and as OP says, it can lead to some merchants with thin skins banning people for no reason other than they (the merchant) get into a snit about any review less than 5 stars awesome sauce

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

Good point. I honestly couldn't tell you if a demo was available or not. I indirectly stated the reason for the bad review since I intended to direct attention to the fact that this is an option for vendors. And how it could negatively effect them as well as other vendors who probably didn't need or ask for this option.

I have heard that some merchants requested it due to nefarious use of the the review system, possibly by competitors/alts.  

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

it doesn't negatively effect them, it's  choice théy make to use it or not.
(to avoid customers for placing bad reviews about expected features that aren't meant to be included for example)

Yes and anyone reading that sort of review would know the customer was new. So why ban the person?

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

Yes and anyone reading that sort of review would know the customer was new. So why ban the person?

as you tell your review was not about the item itself but the lack of sizes, the review should be removed.It's totally irrelevant, ... and new? you'r adult and 2009 ?..or earlier.. that's not new.
The merchant doesn't have to go check about the posted reviewer is new.. ... the customer however has to be aware about the sale.

But i stay with my earlier remark.. the amount of counterposts show already you won't take it else than your way.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it doesn't negatively effect them

Why this is bad:

The review means little to the customer once they realize they can be banned for leaving a bad review.

If reviews are skewed favorably to vendor or if people are less likely to leave negative feedback the vendor has little reason or motivation to improve their products.

People could tend to lean away from marketplace which hurts vendors who dont have an actual inworld store. I already try as much as I can to avoid MP as I find the search engine lacking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the amount of counterposts show already you won't take it else than your way.

I was once told that people tend to accuse you of things they would do themselves. Hence you countering your counterpost before I can even counter a post. If you just want to have the last word. Go ahead. By all means.

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i don't know exactly for sure why, but as I mention I think the idea was that marketplace would be consistent with the other things

to be fair to Linden, a marketplace ban tool has been something that has been asked for by some merchants off and on ever since marketplace came online. And to be fair to those merchants there are some vexatious customers who abuse the review system for reasons that have nothing to do with the product

and with these vexatious customers then when they keep buying a merchant's stuff and continue to leave abusive reviews time after time then at some point the merchant should be able to say: We are done. No more. Go buy stuff from somebody else

is the same as in RL when have vexatious customers who continue to come into the store. The RL merchant ends up saying the same: We are done. No more. And trespass the vexatious person off the premises

like you say, and as OP says, it can lead to some merchants with thin skins banning people for no reason other than they (the merchant) get into a snit about any review less than 5 stars awesome sauce

They just need to remove the review system, because there are merchants abuse it as well.. just like search,if there is a way to game something or grief something, it will happen..

I have nothing against any merchants, but now that part of the system is more one sided.. It wasn't really that hard to tell who was review griefing..most made it pretty obvious from what I could tell..

Myself, I'm not really too worried , because I only bother to make a review when a product is really well done.. If I'm not happy with a purchase, I usually write it off as a loss and don't spend anymore time there anyways..hehehe

I just won't look at reviews anymore as part of a way of gaining or losing confidence before a purchase.. it's just one less weighing to do and I'll be in and out faster..hehehe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ultimo Constantineau said:

it kind of rubs me the wrong way when a vendor name drops popular body brands when the item isn't actually fitted for either

the Linden-suggested thing to do in this circumstance is to flag the item for attention of Linden governance. Flag the item: Not As Advertised, and to not leave a review saying that the product is not as advertised

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just won't look at reviews anymore as part of a way of gaining or losing confidence before a purchase.. it's just one less weighing to do and I'll be in and out faster..hehehe

same. I don't consider reviews or stars when looking for stuff to buy

if the review system disappeared tomorrow then I wouldn't care.  I much prefer to be able to just flag a product if the flagging is warranted, which I might have done maybe 2 times ever

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.