After 17 years: will Marketplace Search _ever_ work properly?

Wol Euler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I ask myself rhetorically and the Lab seriously, if there will ever be a real functional useful Search capacity in the Marketplace? Because right now it is borked. Yes, it'll find what you want but it will also bury those few items in a huge avalanche of completely irrelevant crap.

Example just now: I saw someone wearing a cute cropped T-shirt with the logo "No Bra Club" at a show, sent her an IM with compliment and request for the name of the maker, received back only silence. Fine, I thought, there's the Marketplace, I will just go look for it!

Typed in No Bra Club. 400 results. The first page has one (1) t-shirt with the phrase on it, the other articles are entirely different. Next page: one relevant result. Next page: not a single relevant result. Next pages: only irrelevant results.

So I read the Help page for the marketplace, and learned that boolean search operators are allowed. Great, let's try that. Typed in no AND bra AND club. 524 results! (Anyone that knows about search is already shaking their head, just at that number.) Choose one at random: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/INDIGO-VIBES-Lil-Black-Tank-YELL/20185345. Does the search phrase occur in the article? NO. How many of my individual keywords are in that article? NONE! ZERO!! Then why am I seeing it? Repeat that 500 times. I would personally call this a search failure.

It's about time that you fixed this, guys. Database searching is a problem that was fully solved forty years ago. This is not rocket science.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 10:48 PM, Wol Euler said:

How many of my individual keywords are in that article?

Creators can also put keywords on their product that don't show up on the page itself, but will get caught by search.

It's possible to view these keywords in the page source, it's the tag <meta name="keywords...

<meta name="keywords" content="Tonic,maitreya,slink,belleza,tank,top,shirt,braless,no,bra,nipple,goth,rock,concert,band,tee,shirt,dj,club,music,horror,halloween,samhain,tool,metal,heavy,jason,freddy,krugar,micheal,myers,crow,the,"/>

Bra and Club are both present in the keywords of the product. 'And' is typically considered a noise word in most search engines and is ignored because the word is so frequent and generic. Phrase search like Chroma said is the best for this.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 12:48 AM, Wol Euler said:

Typed in No Bra Club. 400 results. The first page has one (1) t-shirt with the phrase on it, the other articles are entirely different. Next page: one relevant result. Next page: not a single relevant result. Next pages: only irrelevant results.

First off: Yes, the Marketplace is a bit clunky and it takes a lot of effort to filter out low quality stuff (entire stores). That said...

How you seem to define "relevant" is pretty tricky to replicate in a general (consistent, useful) way.

You search for a some random phrase made up of 3 separate keywords that don't inherently relate to each other, without having selected any category. How is the search supposed to know that this phrase should be a print, let alone on a T-shirt? What kind of algorithm do you suggest that would be able to figure out exactly what you want to see?

On 8/31/2020 at 1:32 AM, Chroma Starlight said:

Try using "double quotes," e.g.:

That works on Google, but not on marketplace. I get the exact amount of results with or without quotes, plus I discovered it doesn't work way in the past.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, Extrude Ragu said:

Bra and Club are both present in the keywords of the product. 'And' is typically considered a noise word in most search engines and is ignored because the word is so frequent and generic. Phrase search like Chroma said is the best for this.

No is in there too, right before Bra. The "AND" is a search-specific operator, but it must be written exactly in uppercase:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.