This change with EEP is not subtle: how was it missed in testing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been testing EEP.

Two pictures, same place, same object, both using Nacon's Afternoon lighting.

On the left, the current Linden Lab viewer, v6.4.4.543157, using EEP

On the right, Firestorm, v6.3.9.58205, also the current release. using Windlight

This is a huge difference in results. I am surprised that testing never noticed this before it even got into beta, even more surprised that it got through Beta testing.

The differences for the floor and background objects aren't great, but could be down to a slightly different sun angle. It doesn't explain the way the look of the pan changes. I have a similar pan in my RL kitchen, non-stick lining. Why does something that looks right under the ALM/Windlight system suddenly look so incredibly different?

EEP-comparison.png

• Like 1

I'm looking at my non-stick pan and it doesn't look like either of those... both of those look like they're smooth porcelain.

But I can see that one of them definitely looks more shiny, but I can't tell how much of that is because of the sun difference like you said. I'm yet to really look at EEP besides the things I've been hearing on the forum, and consistency is not one of those things.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Assuming you used the same "windlight" setting == yes, there can be a huge difference. I did some testing when EEP went live in the Linden viewer.  Some major differences and LOTS of issues with "materials".   There is a VERY LONG thread on EEP Feedback and if you scroll through even quickly you will see plenty of "OMG" comments.  

The bottom line is that they knew there were still some major issues (this from Ebbie) but made it live anyway -- not really planning (again Ebbe) to "fix" much more but expecting the content creators to redo their items.  That would NOT be me LOL, but happily I never relied on materials much (more iewer downloads for one thing) so not a big problem here. 

You can see my testing (uploading my premade Windlights and converting to EEP and testing against each other. SOME were fine. SOME really bad. The barn photo up top has the most change. It has materials.  So "materials enabled" ^^ isn't going to be much of a selling point in the future I am guessing. Of course people can hopefully SEE the items they are buying before they buy. So not a huge problem.  

I am mostly upset about the inability to make Windlights well from scratch. Some features got lost in the mix (and of course there were new features added -- just not ones I care to much about personally).   

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/04/eep-versus-windlight-another-new-normal.html

I played around with the EEP project viewer several times over the past one and a half years and have to say I have been looking forward to it making it into the mainstream as the pros of it far outweigh the cons.

Yes some items well look strange because the creator had used material settings that under the new system have far too much reflections on them - that's not a problem with EEP though really. Many designers joined on materials bandwagon without really understanding what the impacts of those settings actually mean under various lighting conditions - a good many avatars in SL look very plastic so I guess a lot of end users just whack up the settings without knowing what it means because they do not even have advanced lighting enabled.

EEP is as big a change (if not more so) than windlight was - and there were loads of people who foresaw the demise of the world due to windlight 😀

What I would encourage though is for changes like these for people to actually download the project viewers whilst it is still a project viewer and test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A possibly-related problem is in development versions of Firestorm with EEP. Diffuse sunlight is too dim. At high noon, outside walls running east to west are far too dark. I haven't reported this because I'm seeing it in pre-release self-compiled Firestorm, but others who self-compiled have confirmed it. The gamma correction in Firestorm may be different from that in the Linden viewer.

9 hours ago, Rowdy Rover said:

encourage though is for changes like these for people to actually download the project viewers whilst it is still a project viewer and test.

EEP is in the main LInden viewer and has been for some time.   It is also in some third party viewers but not yet in Firestorm. 

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I suspect it's this bug: BUG-228781 - [EEP] Specular color interpreted wrong (too bright) from point lights

Can you give the name & creator of the pan so it can be tested?  Ta!

The whole "It's so shiny I'm gonna die" thing with local lights is much better with the current Love Me Render release from a couple of days ago. Not that you'd learn that from the release notes, mind you...

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, Rowdy Rover said:

Yes some items well look strange because the creator had used material settings that under the new system have far too much reflections on them - that's not a problem with EEP though really.

They've confirmed some of the issues are bugs and are going to be fixed, so it is a problem with EEP. That means it isn't a good idea to remake everything right now, because it's just going to change again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.