Counter time of visitors

Fabio Eebus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a thought exercise in how to do this, wouldn't it be possible to use something like Maria Korolov's visitor script from HypergridBusiness?  She posted one a few years ago that records visitors to a Google Sheet, first removing duplicates who were already recorded.  It seems like it should be possible to modify her script to also record when an avatar disappears from a region.  Then have Sheets calculate the amount of time they spent there.

I'm sure that this is not as easy-peasy as it sounds in my head. :)

Unless you are dealing with a high traffic area, so you expect to generate a huge amount of data and need to save it for a long time, you don't truly need to go to great extremes.  Systems like the ones you describe or that Wulfie is thinking about are necessary if you are running a club or an in-world shop that gets a lot of business.  If you're just interested in finding out how long someone stays in your house, and you don't really care about saving reams of data until you log in to weeks from now,  you can probably collect the information you need and put it into the Description field of a prim somewhere -- or IM/e-mail it to yourself periodically.  You can modify almost any greeter/counter script to do that.  My own counter in the script library is ten years old now but could do the job with a little tweaking.  It has the advantage of having a fairly high capacity, as long as you don't care about saving visitor names.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Cleaner wording

1 hour ago, Sabrina Tamerlane said:

If the names are stored in the script it is a memory hog. So, it can be very easy to do, but it can crash also very easily.

That's quite true.  That's why I said that it's not practical to use local storage if you are trying to track traffic stats on a busy parcel.  Traffic in your own house is likely to be pretty light, though, so it's a decent idea for that sort of place.  Mine own greeter/counter can store stats for something like 1000 visitors before it starts lopping off the oldest ones to make space, so it's not bad for a private home or a quiet area.  Because it always checks free memory, it never gets close enough to being so full that it crashes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.